“Truly A Classic, But Functionally Obsolete”

Capitola Venetian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Capitola
Reviewed 14 August 2011

We have seen this classic hotel for years but have never actually stayed here.As I st here now looking out the single pane aluminum window, circa 1955' the full moon rises over Monterey Bay, absolutely beautiful, fun, and totally California. At first glance the beautiful period piece "motel style" accommodation looks quirky, artsy, and is the centerpiece of any photograph of Capitola. It's nestled in the cove, on the beach, and the sand is at your doorstep. Our impression ends there. The room we have is a one bedroom suite with a kitchen , living room, nice size bedroom, and "small shower" only bathroom. The bed is awful, the furniture dated, and the towels and hand cloths minimal. soaps and shampoo's are medium to low quality, and no WI FI, at least we could not find it. The price $375 per night was way way way out of line. Even at the beach, on the beach this hotel did not meet that level of price and acomodation. It's old, poorly furnished, and there is very little parking , which is an absolute necessity at the beach. The staff is nice, accommodating, but limited on what they could offer, the wasn't even a dirty laundry plastic bag in the closet !
If you have the means to spend this kind of money I would choose to go someplace that offers modern accomodations, interrnet, service,money parking. But if you are looking for a quirky, crazy, fun location on the beach right out of the 50's this is it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Lorenzo1317
BartfieldGroup, Owner Representative at Capitola Venetian Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

Dear Lorenzo1317,
We appreciate your review. Here at the Capitola Venetian, we value every guest experience and use every compliment and criticism in hopes of constantly creating an even better vacation environment. Our hotel is one of the landmarks of Capitola, and is styled and constructed to maintain the vintage beach fashion. It may strike some people as “old”, but it is stylized as such for a reason. We understand if you were expecting more modern accomodations, and we hope you don’t feel you were mislead in any way about what type of hotel our property is. Our vintage style and beach bungalow feel is what we feel gives our hotel character.
It seems that certain amenities were not to your liking and we sincerely apologize for that. We are always on a mission to improve and strive for the highest quality standards possible.
Our prices vary, depending on the time of year. You stayed with us during summer, which is everyone’s peak season, and by far the most expensive time to travel. It is our goal to provide a relaxing beachfront getaway and we sincerely hope that you enjoyed your stay, despite the complaints mentioned above.

Reviewed 11 August 2011

Just returned from what was suppose to be a two night stay with my kids into a one night stay. This place is sleazy, sparsely furnished, dark, and disgusting. DO NOT BELIEVE THE PHOTOS ON THEIR WEBSITE as they are night and day from what you will find. When I first walked into the room my mouth dropped. I couldn't believe I spent $260/night for a room one would probably find in the SF Tenderloin area for $25/night. The pots and pans in the kitchen looked like they had been picked off the side of the road, cleaned and put into the room. Trust me, I'm not a Ritz Carlton type of gal, but for that kind of money I expect decent towels, amenities in the bathroom other than soap, shampoo and lotion, nice pots and pans (and more than one), more lighting to brighten up the rooms and a television in more than just the living area. I brought four kids and it's difficult for everyone to agree on a show. I can go on and on about this hotel, but bottom line......SAVE MONEY AND STAY A BIT FARTHER FROM THE BEACH! THIS PLACE IS A DUMP!

Room Tip: Find another hotel and don't believe this hotel's website pictures or description.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank Lori L
Reviewed 7 August 2011

My fiance and I were going down for a nice relaxing weekend. The hotel looked really nice from the outside, so I was excited. Once they finally gave us our room keys I was in shock. This was the dirtiest and grungiest looking hotel I have EVER seen (and let me tell you I travel a LOT. so this is saying something).
We decided to not stay there for the weekend and it was the best decision ever, I can't imagine sleeping in one of those beds - yuck!
With the rates they charge, you would at least expect a clean bed!! Time to renovate

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank colombiafeliz
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We loved that this was not your average hotel. We could hear the ocean from our room and it was perfect to start out our CA adventure. The bed was comfortable. It had a kitchen so this would have been perfect for a longer stay. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CarolineintheQcity
Reviewed 27 March 2011

The poor reviews compel me to write a in defense of this hotel. I have stayed at this property several times over the past ten years and have been fairly satisfied. I even have my favorite room, which I wont share with you!

Traveling with young children does take planning. It is stressful constantly shushing young children who are just being themselves. For our part, we tend to book non-view rooms on the lower floor. That way, we are not on top of anybody and the sounds of our kids' footfalls won't disturb anybody. We've also chosen rooms next to the laundry /storage room for the same reason -- to minimize our impact on surrounding guests.

We also stay in the low season when the property is not filled. I will say that the one time we were there bordering a high season weekend we had a terrible time: the noise from the restaurants across the Soquel Creek till 2am was extreme. The noise from the passing cars and obnoxious drunken pedestrians pausing outside our bedroom window was extreme. The noise from the tacky fellow guests was extreme. Given the extreme room rates of the high season and the unavoidable noise, I would NEVER choose to stay at this hotel in the high season.

The furnishings could use some replacement. However, the bed linens have always been clean if worn. The kitchens could use a few more hand-tools such as pizza pans, baking sheets, and nicer cutlery, but I've always found everything to be clean. The shower drains need attention: they work just fine, but are frequently unfinished holes in the floor. But the bathrooms have been clean with sufficient towels.

So go, but go with an open mind. And of you're like me, you'll enjoy it best during cold weather. Stock the fridge with goodies from Trader Joes and Whole Foods from 41st street, grab an early morning cup of coffee from Mr Toots, and relax.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Whitehouse04
Reviewed 24 March 2011

My wife and me stayed here mid-March. the guy at the front desk gave us a awesome special!
We got a nice 2 bdrm with a view.. yeah you have to look over a few roof tops, but big deal..
You can still hear and see the ocean, from your room you can watch the sunset over the ocean,
The room had a slight musty smell, but everything near the ocean has the musty smell...
This was more like a small apartment, small kitchen and dining area,
All the dishes, cups, silverware was there along with the soap to wash them all..
This was a funky older hotel and the floors were a little uneven, but it was a fun place to stay..
I wish we would have stayed a couple extra days...

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank troubled1
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Capitola was a beautiful experience. Just stay someplace else.

Venetian Motel is not what they say they are.
Ocean view means view of the roof top in front of your balcony.
Completely out dated and smells of Mold. Complained to management at check in and nothing was ever done.
Stains on linens. It looked like they were never changed from previous guests. Complained to management and nothing was done.

BEWARE!!! If you have children do not stay at this MOTEL. it is the most unfriendly environment we have ever stayed in. The Long term tennants ("Tight community" according to management) obviously do not want anyone staying here. It was so bad they complained at 2 p.m. about our children laughing. Went so far as to call the Capitola Police (another issue in itself) and report a child was being beaten. Seriously!

Management was horrible and even threatened to kick us out if they received one more complaint of noise. Management even said to us "and then where you gonna go?" How would you feel as a parent, on vacation with your family? We were completely stressed out!

I even talked with other tennants visiting and they all have similar stories. Amazing.

Again, Capitola is absolutely beautiful. Just don't stay at the Venetian Motel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank FunfamilyAuburn_ca
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capitola
Capitola Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos
Monarch Cove Inn
Monarch Cove Inn
#1 of 4 in Capitola

Been to Capitola Venetian Hotel? Share your experiences!