“What a gem!!!”

Capitola Venetian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Capitola
Reviewed 3 July 2006

I stayed at this hotel June 26, 2006 for a few nights with my 3 younger children and my mother. I thought it was a little expensive, but after reviewing so many in the Santa Cruz/Capitol area, decided that it was important for us to be AT the beach, not at a better hotel 1 or 2 miles away. I'm SO GLAD we chose this place! It's kind of a funky little beach town that has a charm all it's own. It's on the same side of the street as the beach, just behind some other very colorful beach condos.So you just have a very short walk through a Venice-like alley way to the great beach of Capitola. The location was perfect, and the room, while old, was spotless and well equipped for our little getaway. We had a non-smoking 2 bedroom unit, with a large bathroom, amply supplied with a dozen little soaps, shampoos and lotions, and was well stocked with nice bath towels. The bedroom furniture and living room furniture were a nice mission style, and looked fairly new. The little kitchen had everything we needed, with lots of cupboard space. The eating area was cozy. All of the upper units had different wooden carvings on the front doors (don't know why the ground floor units don't!) of a scene in an opera or out of literature.Just charming.
But the best thing was the service provided by the front office staff. Dwayne, Lon and Cindy were extremely helpful and always cheerful. There is a small parking lot available to hotel guests, with just enough spaces for one car per room.But it is pretty tight, especially if you've got an oversized vehicle (like, I don't know, a 15 passenger van! like we have!)There was only one space that could accomodate my van, and when a medical emergency came up, and I had to make a dash for a nearby pharmacy, the staff offered to put orange cones up to reserve my space till I got back. It's not something they're supposed to do, but I had an emergency, and he knew that I was worried about losing my parking spot, and not be able to park anywhere else. (even the nearby street parking was fully taken!) On another trip out to take my family to the Boardwalk, he told me that if I have trouble getting it parked when I got back, to come and get him, because he'd park it for me! Guess he use to do valet parking, and got use to parking in tight spaces.
One night while using the broiler, the smoke alarm went off, and when I went to the office to tell them, the guy just smiled and patiently said, "no problem, I'll take care of it" No lecture, no questions, just really nice about everything.
So although I thought their price was a bit steep ($229.00 per night mid week--with taxes, it came out to about $500.00 for two nights) and they don't offer any discounts, I was very pleased with our visit. It suited our needs well, the location was great, and the staff was caring and excellent! It's not a 5 star hotel, but was really a nice place to stay, and I always felt safe, unlike some places closer to the boardwalk.

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank 6boys4me
There are newer reviews for Capitola Venetian Hotel

A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 21 May 2006

My family has been coming to the Capitola Venetian Hotel every Thanksgiving for over 10 years. It is funky and charming and we love it! It is the perfect location in town- you can walk to the beach or to the cute Capitola Village area. My cousin even got married on the beach in front! Words can't express how wonderful this place is!

• Stayed: November 2002
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 January 2005

Ideal ocean view is about all I can say.
Bathrooms are small and the hot and cold
water temperature kept changing. Would
not stay again, just a little too rustic for
my taste. Service was very friendly enough.

• Stayed: January 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capitola
Capitola Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos
Monarch Cove Inn
Monarch Cove Inn
#1 of 4 in Capitola

Been to Capitola Venetian Hotel? Share your experiences!