“I had to pretend we were camping”

Capitola Venetian Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Capitola
El Cajon, California
“I had to pretend we were camping”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

When we arrived we thought it looked "OK" from outside - the hotel clerk said we were staying in a "really nice room" which leads me to wonder how horrible the other rooms were. Bed bugs - bugs above the shower. TV remote didn't work - complained twice - bed was so uncomfortable we had to pretend we were camping and just deal with it. When we checked out I wanted to "complain" and there was no one around just a note that said "leave keys here" I knew this was not a 4 star but this is not even a 2 star!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MDR3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
alameda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

I have stayed at the Venetian 10+ times and will continue to vacation here for years to come. The rooms are each unique and all have kitchens. You are steps from the sand and a very short walk to restaurants, shops, bars and more. This is an excellent spot for families or for a romantic getaway. The rooms are pretty standard and aren't super "high end" but you come here for the location and Capitola Village.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sarahfoltz1057
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2010

We were in Capitola to have dinner at the Shadow Brook and were looking for a charming room with an ocean view. The person taking our reservation recommended the Venetian. If you don't mind looking over the roof of another building, you can see the ocean. The rooms were clean enough, I suppose (though the furniture, carpet and bedspread were obviously old). The room also had a odd smell. On the up side, the staff was friendly and helpful. Walking through town, we spotted several other hotels I had seen online that were cheaper and MUCH nicer!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beckole
Fresno, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2009

I stay at the Capitola Venetian once or twice a year. We choose to stay during the low season because the rates are so reasonable and because the community is so much more quiet during the winter months. We use it as a home base for exploring Monterey and Carmel, too.

While I do wish they would put some improvements in the bathrooms (especially the shower drains), I can find little to fault otherwise.

While the kitchens are reasonably equipped, I always bring a few tools from my kitchen I can not do without such as wine glasses and a reliable corkscrew, short plastic cups for the kids, and foil and saran wrap for my restaurant leftovers. If you like cooking for yourself, there is a Trader Joes only a couple miles away.

If you choose to stay during the high season, be prepared for considerable noise coming from the bars and restaurants from across the Soquel Creek.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

I have always wanted to stay at this hotel, given the great location. I'm getting married within a mile of the property in Spring 2010, so I thought this the perfect opportunity to take the fiance for a night in November to celebrate his b-day and check out this hotel as a possible recommendation for our guests.

The problem is, it is impossible to actually make a reservation. I called (they won't let you book online) and inquired about Sat night, Thanksgiving weekend and was told there is a 2 night minimum, so I asked about Friday and Saturday night and was told that Friday is booked and we would need to stay Sat and Sun!!! I was told the 2 night minimum cannot be waived even when they are booked on Friday!!!

Either this hotel really doesn't need any more business or they need to do some serious customer service training. Either way, this is not the kind of place that I would want to celebrate my fiance's birthday or recommend to my friends and family.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cheltravel
East Bay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

Hey, all of you so serious travelers. We stay at the Venetian every time we can. It is refreshingly funky. If you want a fancy place, stick to the Hilton. We even brought our rather snooty relatives from back east and they loved the charm of it. The desk staff have always been great but they do not like noisy patrons, which is fair. You have to make sure you ask for a room on the second floor with windows. As much as this sounds crazy, ask for a smoking room so you'll get an outside balcony. I hate cig smoke but after leaving everything open for an hour or so it is fine. Worth it to sit out on the balcony and look at the ocean. So, think casual, cook a couple of meals in, walk on the beach....take deep breaths and enjoy the simplicity of the hotel.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cathywac
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

I will start with the good......location is terrific, right on the beach, you can just walk into town and have access to everything you need.
The bad....customer service is insanely rude! A guy named Lon was at the front desk and I have never dealt with anyone like that at a hotel. He acted like he hated his job and did not want any inquiries of any kind about the area or the hotel. I still can't even believe it, it was that bad dealing with him.
Rooms are in poor condition, but without the rudeness of front desk would be worth it for the location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — customer service-particularly front desk
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capitola
Capitola Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos
Monarch Cove Inn
Monarch Cove Inn
#1 of 4 in Capitola

Been to Capitola Venetian Hotel? Share your experiences!