“Thank you Capitola Hotel”
Review of Capitola Hotel

Capitola Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Capitola
Victoria
“Thank you Capitola Hotel”
Reviewed 31 May 2008

My husband and I spent a very enjoyable 3 nights at the Capitola Hotel in mid-May of this year. We booked the Paradise Island room, which is on the ground floor and towards the back of the hotel. If you don't like a small room, I would suggest that you book Paradise Island as it is a medium size with a generously proportioned bathroom.

We found the Hotel Capitola delightful - with a unique character of its own - a nice change from the standard motel room that can be found anywhere from Woolloomooloo to Timbuktu. Our room was spotlessly clean; the bed very comfortable and the bathroom had some nice little extra touches to make our stay enjoyable.

We stayed on a Wed/Thur and Fri night. Our room was very quiet on the Wed. and Thur. nights. On the Fri. night we could hear the Karaoke from down the street, however is was not very loud and stopped at a decent hour - about 10.00-10.30pm.

Full credit to the staff members. They were polite and extremely helpful - always ready to answer our questions and telling us the highlights of the village and beyond. Shadowbrook was booked by them at our request and we thoroughly enjoyed dining at this charming restaurant.

The Hotel's reception area is particularly attractive and adjoins an equally pleasant patio where guests are encouraged to relax. Quality teas, coffees and bottled water are available free of additional charge in the reception area throughout the day/night. You can enjoy a fresh Danish pastry with your morning tea of coffee for no extra charge - or breakfast at one of the many nearby eateries.

Finally, the hotel could not be more conveniently located - A stone's throw from the beach and across the road from the village's numerous restaurants and cafes. Everything is within walking distance.

Thank you to all at the Capitola Hotel - we had a great stay.

• Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Eulalia47

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
San Francisco
Reviewed 13 May 2008

I was surfing in Capitola and wanted to stay for a few days longer to enjoy the great waves. Wanted to be next to the surf without having to drive to eat and sleep. The Capitola Hotel was right there. I could wake up in the morning, have coffee downstairs and walk across the street to the beach, surf and restaurants. The location of the hotel is right there in the center of it all. No reason to drive anywhere. The staff is great and very helpful with my stay and knowledge of the area. Hotel is new and very clean. Would recommend.

• Liked — Location and brand new.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelinSurfer
Stockton,CA
Reviewed 5 May 2008

I agree on the "Hotel from Hell". First of all the manager booked the room for me a month ago, however didn't write down a price. I was quoted $169/night but when I arrived, an unexperienced male desk clerk told me that it was going to be $198. He had to contact the manager and we did get it straightned out @ $185? They gave me a room that was nice, however very small. I was only the 2nd guest to stay in the room, so very nicely decorated and all new appliances, however extremely small! Defenatly not worth $169 or even $198/night. I think they cleaned out an office and converted into a room. After I checked in, we went out for some lunch, then when we returned, someone had came into our room and added a wobbly table for our fridge that didn't work? Frankly I don't understand how a buisness like this stays around, but again I think they are just there to collect the money. And you can defenatly tell by the attitude of the employees!

Manager also booked us a reservation @ Shadowbrook, however when I asked what time the reservations were, they had to call in. You would have thought they had something documented. Parking sucked and they gave us some pass and said, we pay for the parking, however good luck finding it. Drove around in circles for about 45 minutes until I found anything, however that is not there fault?

Enough Said

Stayed May 2008
California
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Tiny unfinished rooms on a noisy street (ear plugs provided near the phone in the room). Room had no clock for wake-ups nor wake up system within the phone system. No one from hotel management there after 9PM, for any reason! No viable ice machine. No parking at hotel. Permit for the street, if you can find parking at all. Reservation was not honored for second night. Inexpereinced, persecuted front desk person, unwilling to resolve issue. I was looking for another room at 6PM on a Saturday nite in a resort community! They should rename this place "The Last Resort Hotel". ...Stay here as your last resort!

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank E23
anywhere
Reviewed 19 January 2008

This is a perfectly nice hotel on the surface, well located, clean, and with tasteful decor and comfortable beds. I write this review in part because this hotel has the potential to be nice, but there are several puzzling aspects of the rooms (or at least my room) that significantly compromised my enjoyment of the hotel and which are enough to dissuade me from ever staying here again.

First, there are many comments about the street noise, which is very loud, although not exactly in the control of the hotel (although they could invest in some better windows rather than expect guests to wear earplugs to sleep), but more than this the soundprooding between rooms within the hotel is extremely poor. I was kept awake by a snoring neighbor, as the poor design of the rooms left our beds against a shared wall so his snoring could reverberate well. I could also hear every conversation in the lobby all the way in my room upstairs.

Also, although I'm sure not many people come to Capitola to work, the in-room internet was located in the furthest corner of the room from the desk and bed. I was forced to sit and work on the floor because the provided ethernet cord did not stretch even to the bed, let alone the 15 ft. across the room to the actual work desk. Even with the present location of the ethernet connection it would be such a simple thing to provide a long cord to make the situation workable.

Other simple details are equally puzzling, like the lamp above the bed, which can only be turned on and off from the wall by the door, no light in the vicinity of the closet, a refrigerator located in the cabinet next to the bed which drones intermittently all night close to one's head, and the smallest towels I have seen in a hotel for years.

Most of these issues (save the noise) could be dealt with in ways involving little effort or expense, but it is surprising how many small hotels are clueless about the details.

• Stayed January 2008
6 Thank isala
Dublin, Ireland.
Reviewed 3 December 2007

The following is a lengthy review with as much detail as possible to give a complete picture and I have been very honest.

My Husband & I were on a trip with friends, an American couple visiting different parts of America. Our friends had penciled in a 2 night stopover in Capitola, on Sunday 18th and Monday,19th November, for a relaxing 2 nights to conclude our whirlwind 2 week tour. My friend had seen the Capitola Hotel on the Esplanade, recommended in a reputable guide so she booked us in there for 2 rooms (1 room with a 'sea view'). We were all really looking forward to it particularly from the descriptions of the magazine and ourselves at the prospect of a 'room with a sea view' which our friends kindly offered that to us, being from Ireland I guess they wanted us to have the best so that the trip would be even more memorable.

Unfortunately, the reality of it was quite different. Firstly, upon checking in, there seemed to be a lot of confusion with our bookings and we spent some time trying to correct it and unfortunately it was the same when we were leaving, there was a lot of confusion and mix up with the invoices. We had to carry our bags up the stairs to our rooms because there was no elevator, being away for more than 3 weeks meant we had a lot of luggage to drag up the stairs. Our room was the Nevis Room (Sea View) and our friends had the Curacao Room. To say the least we were disappointed, the rooms were small and there was nothing particularly outstanding about them. The Nevis room otherwise catergorised as a 'room with a sea view', was not what one would expect, it did not have a view of the sea directly in front of the building, which is what I would think of being a 'sea view', I had to crane my neck to the left to see a glimpse of the sea in the distance. I definitely do not think it constitutes this title nor the extra amount of money we had to pay for it!!. Actually our friend’s room, the Curacao room was cheaper and seemed nicer to us without the pretence of a sea view.

We went out for dinner and came back looking forward to a decent sleep with no pressure of having to get up. We had noticed that there were 2 sets of ear plugs provided in each room and jokingly mentioned it to each other, saying 'oh dear that's not a good sign!". That night we discovered why they were there.. there is a bar/club across the road from the hotel and the music was very loud to the early hours of the morning, so our expectations of enjoying a lovely relaxing break here were quickly shattered. We complained the following morning, but the receptionist dismissed it, saying that's just on the weekend and as it was Monday it should be different so that night we prayed that it wouldn't be so loud.

Breakfast consisted of coffee and pre-wrapped sweet cakes, looked like small danishes, again nothing spectacular or substantial, we decided to go to Gayles Bakery which had been recommended to us, which was about 10 minutes walk away and had a huge selection of food so we had something much more substantial there. There is also a very nice Coffee House on the way up to Gayles, not sure of the name, it's a small quirky looking place, Italian coffee, it’s a green coffee house on the left hand side of the street, I would recommend it, and we had breakfast there the following morning!

When we returned to the hotel at about lunch time, our room had not been cleaned nor the towels replenished and it was because we hadn't noticed a small notice on the door instructing us that you need to put out a sign on your door if you want this privilege (?). I guess having stayed in lots of Hotels, Inns, B&Bs, Guest Houses before this, that the thoughts of having to do this never entered our heads, I took it for granted that it would be done as per usual as it is usually the case that one only puts a sign on your door when (1) you do not want to be disturbed (2) You have asked the House Keeper to call back. We informed the receptionist and in fairness she had the cleaner come back to clean our rooms and replenish our towels so that was appreciated.

In the evening we went to dinner in the Shadowbrook Restaurant, the receptionist kindly made the reservation for us and that was a wonderful experience and we'd highly recommend it! The Food and athmosphere was fantastic.

Again we came back to our rooms hoping the nights sleep would be better and admittedly it was different, the music wasn't as loud although it was still playing, but instead this time we had a woman screaming abuse at some guy outside the bar and using foul language etc. and this seemed to go on for hours, so it was another broken nights sleep. Needless to say, we were not happy residents. I'm sure the receptionists are tired of the complaints and they did still try to be helpful and friendly.

To conclude, the cost to stay here is way overpriced, taking into account the whole “experience”; it was supposedly cheaper compared to other times of the year and to other hotels. The four of us were all extremely disappointed in our experience here. Capitola itself was very enjoyable so it was such a pity that after a long day we didn't have the comforts of a peaceful luxurious hotel to return to. I think I would compare the Capitola Hotel to an overpriced Bed & Breakfast with nothing particularly outstanding about any of it and unfortunately our stay here was not something that we would like to repeat. In my own opinion, I would now rather pay more for something that is worth the price, whereby I get value for my money and more importantly a peaceful night's sleep.

• Liked — Having a TV in the room
  • Disliked — The noise levels at night
  • Stayed November 2007
5 Thank Blaithin
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed 14 May 2007

My husband and I just stayed at the Capitola Hotel this weekend and really enjoyed our time there. The rooms were clean, comfortable and I personally like the color scheme. I wasn't a big fan of the shower, but my 6'2" husband loved it. The shower heads were placed too high for shorter people (the angle the water hit me at was uncomfortable), but tall people will be quite pleased. The location was great- we were able to park the car for the weekend and walk to everything. The restaurant/ bar across the street did have some pretty loud people, but the hotel offered ear plugs in the case that it was bothersome. We knew going into the experience that noise could be an issue and weren't bothered by it at all. The staff was very helpful and friendly (thanks Susan!) and I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who is considering staying here. I would definitely stay here again- we had a lovely, relaxing time.

• Liked — It was comfortable and clean
  • Disliked — The shower head placement
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fernif
Also consider these accommodations in or near Capitola
Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites
Rio Sands Hotel
Rio Sands Hotel
#2 of 6 in Aptos
Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection

Been to Capitola Hotel? Share your experiences!