“Good food, great view, excellent service”
Review of Chart House

Chart House
Reserve with OpenTable
Chart House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Birmingham/ Lomas Santa Fe
Description: You’ll have a front-row seat to catching waves & panoramic Southern California sunsets at this magnificent oceanfront Chart House located near San Diego. A modern and open decor makes the most of its location with windows that open the entire restaurant to its natural environment. Since 1961, Chart House has been dedicated to providing the ideal dining experience. With 30 historic, waterfront & showcase locations across the U.S., Chart House offers spectacular views & exceptional service that you’re sure to enjoy. From top-of-the-catch seafood to succulent steaks, our renowned chefs have tailored a menu to complement local cuisine while introducing a hint of the exotic. Choose from our famous entrées such as Macadamia Crusted Mahi, Miso Glazed Salmon & our slow roasted Prime Rib. We also offer a daily selection of fresh fish, an extensive collection of fine wines and decadent desserts like our famous Hot Chocolate Lava Cake.
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Dinner at this Chart House is consistently good no matter how long the intervals between our visits are. The view at sunset can't be beat. Our server and the bus boy provided outstanding service with a cheerful, upbeat attitude, which made our visit especially pleasant.

I ordered the mixed seafood grill platter, which includes grilled salmon, shrimp scampi, and crab cakes. Each component was cooked to perfection. For dessert, we shared the hot lava fudge cake, which is totally awesome for anyone who enjoys chocolate!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

I was surprised to see I hadn't posted a review for this Chart House. We've been so many times. This is a place you can go and know that good food will accompany the great atmosphere and terrific view. Backs up to the beach so there is always a view of the ocean. Huge sliding windows are open weather permitting. Then there is the food. Above average steaks and great seafood. The lobster bisque is a favorite. They always have blue cheese stuffed olives for martinis. Sundays there is a brunch. Always a nice selection of fresh fish done about anyway you want. Let's not get started on the desserts :-) This is my kind of place.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I have been coming to the Chart House restaurants since 1973'! They have maintained a very high quality of food and service, they have stayed up on the wants of the most discriminating customers. I have always loved the fact that they are good on their pricing allowing customers to work on any type of budget! Staff is attentive and very well trained.The drinks are never watered down as you find in so many bars. If you want top quality food with out feeling stuffy pay CH a visit. I just signed up for their rewards card; this is a must have for great offers and a way to earn points. Birthdays and celebrations are a great reason to visit.

Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

To be fair, I've been to this Chart House before and had an excellent dining experience: 5 stars across the board. This last visit was quite different. I had made out reservations online and when we got to the restaurant I got a bit of "attitude" from the hostess, saying she wouldn't be able to get us an ocean-side view table, as requested. There was a table open but she said it could accommodate a party of 6 so our party of 4 would not qualify. Then she suddenly remembered that they had 4 tables open on the patio outside- an even better view since it was a perfect evening to be outside and enjoy the beautiful sunset over the ocean. We took this table (were celebrating my mother-in-law's 81st bday) and she was really pleased by having the menu printed up with a personalized bday greeting on the top! ☺ (side note: there was noticeable tension between the hostess and the young lady that seated us - very catty and unprofessional) The food was excellent, but overpriced, of course. Our bill came to $175 for the four of us. I ordered the filet medallions and shrimp and split the warm bacon salad with my husband. He ordered the prime rib. My mo-in-law ordered the coconut crusted shrimp and the apple-? pecan salad. We all had one drink - my mo in law and I had mixed drinks and my hubby and father in law had beers. Okay, now for the bad part... Our server, Adam, seemed like he was on holiday or something - very social and chatty - when he was around! We waited 30" to get our drinks and some bread. We asked Adam for lemon (for our water) 3 times and he never did bring it. My husband had asked for no mushrooms in our salad and it had lots of them. Both of us asked for our meat to be cooked med-rare and mine was medium and my husband's was med-well done. We sat with our dishes done for a good 25" before Adam wandered by again.
We had to ask for our bill TWICE - and my husband made a joke about dining and ditching the
second time and Adam was back with the bill in 30 seconds flat that time! My father in law is disabled and it takes him a good 10" to even make his way with his walker to a table in a restaurant so it was pretty obvious the D&D JOKE was not an option! As we were leaving I overheard Adam chatting the people up at the next table and telling them he had just turned 20!
Seriously!!! A server at a nice restaurant is 20? How did he get that job? He also told us he had been at the CH for a yr and a half
He sure hadn't learned much in those 18 months! I know a large part of the disappointing service was because they rarely have patio seating available and Adam just plain forgot about us. But to have all the mistakes on the orders, to have to ask for more
bread twice and to never get the stupid lemons was extremely frustrating! He did not check back with us even once to see how we were doing! We had our wedding reception at the CH in Monterey and have spent lots of $ there, so this was really irritating. As I write, I'm still irritated that I even tipped this kid $20 for the evening.
Come on CH, train your employees in customer service!

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival we noticed we HAD NO CHOICE but to Valet park but the valet was busy so we parked ourselves, then valet came over, asked for the key and said he'd turn the car round and to pay the $4 when we get back. FOUR BUCKS for turning our car round in an empty lot?

Due to traffic we arrived 3 minutes after our reservation time. The waitress was quick to say "we thought you weren't coming, I'm not sure if we can get you a good table" which surprised me as it was only 3 minutes and the place was dead.

We were lead to a nice table by the sea and enjoyed the view right away and made the place have a bit of extra wow factor. We were automatically bombarded with wine lists and cocktails, making us feel uncomfortable and cheap for ordering free water as we wanted to fully enjoy our entree and also I was driving my my girlfriend is under 21.
We had viewed the menu online and chosen our dishes already. My girlfriend ordered the roast chicken and I ordered Prime Rib and Lobster. The waiter then asked if we wanted any salad with the main meals, in which we assumed he meant a side salad, and not a first course $9 salad that we accidentally ordered thinking it was a "side" extra. The walnut, apple and balsamic salad was tasty but really nothing special compared to restaurant chains I've visited before.
The roast chicken was really good, you could tell the quality of the meat and freshness in the beautiful texture. The mashed potatoes were pretty much your standard ones, not worthy as being the second part of the $21 dish.
My dish came with lobster, prime rib steak and mashed potatoes. I would have thought some of the sides offered with the standard lobster meal would be added, but a spoon of mash that probably would have cost them $1 was disappointing. To be fair, the prime rib steak was excellent! I ordered it with the intention of sharing it, so I ordered it medium-well (I prefer really rare but my girlfriend hates blood) and it was super tasty and cooked to perfection.
Now for the lobster. I work in the UK for a budget supermarket chain and our store sells standard lobster for $7.50 occasionally and this has been my only experience eating lobster. The lobster I received was what looked like half the tail meat, cooked and stacked back on top of the tail and with no tasty claw meat. The taste was exactly the same as the lobster i had eaten back home, tasty but not worth the amount of meat you get, which was about 4 inches long and 1 inch thick. Considering this would usually set you back $40 shocked me! I know lobster is a fancy, well sought after dish but it's practically $10 for a square inch! I could've fit the entire portion in my mouth in one bite.

Luckily we had a $25 card so that tool away some of the cost, and although I did tip the standard 15% I felt sort of robbed in tipping a guy $18 who walked 15 feet with our meals and filled our water twice only because his stand was right next to our table, and considering the prices are so high.

We paid our $4 to the valet for holding onto our keys (I'd suggest parking further down the street, there was a cop car pulling a guy over and taking up all the spots when we arrived so we had to valet)

All in all I feel like we got a meal that was no better then Cheesecake Factory but for a lot more money.