“It looks really funky, but you've got to check this out!”
Review of The Bestawan Pizza

The Bestawan Pizza
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Several years ago new management took over this so-so pizza restaurant and have been making great strides ever since. The prices are low, the food is exceptional, and the atmosphere is unrestrained funky fun. So don't tell anyone about this place, otherwise it will ruin it!

This reminds me of the places I would see in coastal California in the '60s and '70s, but you don't see much anymore. I enjoyed sitting on the patio drinking my Fat Tire beer out of a mason jar and watching the beach people walking by. But when I ordered the grilled mahi-mahi sandwich, it blew my socks off. My wife had the shrimp linguini and loved it. Previously we have had some pretty good pizza there, but as their new motto says, "Not just a pizza restaurant anymore".

The place is always crowded, but somehow we always got seated with little or no waiting. The atmosphere is relaxed, fun, and somewhat funky. We always seem to fall into conversation with people sitting at the adjacent tables. Note: this is a dog-friendly restaurant.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Besta Wan is a fun place to eat at while in the Cardiff area. We (husband, daughter, & I) had lunch here while visiting about a year ago. We chose to try it out for dinner during this visit. It was Saturday night, so it was busy. Some might say it was loud, but I think that's part of the allure- locals chatting, music playing, people laughing. This place had character- Beer is served in ball jars and menus are on old album covers. Dogs are also welcome to hang out on the other side of the patio railing while their owners enjoy a meal.
Although it was busy, we were seated within 5-10 minutes and service was prompt. Their menu is extensive and fairly priced. This time we went with the Earth Angel burger, Philly Cheese Steak, fish taco & a pulled pork taco. All great.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Ordered the Mahi Mahi sandwich. Fish was moist but lacked any kind of interesting seasoning. Really would have benefitted from an aioli was some sort. Wait staff were dull and seemed uninterested in service. Waiter's fly was down for most of our stay. They're dog friendly, which is fine, but I'm not sure I like random dogs walking about under the tables looking for scraps or sitting at the end of your table drooling for food. My son's pulled pork sandwich was equally uninspired.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Besta-Wan has been around forever and it is still very popular. The food was fairly good; we just had nachos and my husband had the fish tacos. The restaurant has great decorations and is a bit loud and always crowded. If you are staying in Cardiff you can skip some of the newer "trendy" places which are overpriced and get some good food for a good price. I should also say that it started out as a pizza place but has evolved . The pizza which we didn't have looked great as well. I would recommend this place for drinks, appetizers, family food and those just wanting to go somewhere casual and fun.

1  Thank galcurious
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Kind of enjoyed this laid back after the wait for a table. With the kids running around with hoops & everybody patting each others dogs it made for a relaxing evening a couple of (very) long Frisbee throws from the beach. Service was friendly and casual, would recommend this place for it's friendly, vibrant beach-like atmosphere.