“Controversial”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Sai Thai
Espoo
“Controversial”
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I find it somewhat strange how controversial reviews are written about this hotel. The name should refer to sea view rather than beach. The remote location is not that bad if you feel comfortable to use the pick-up mini busses. You'll be tempted to do so as there's not much to do outside the pool area. One good choise is to hire a long tail boat from the neighbouring peer. Don't book too many nights in advance as there's no refund in case you (too) want to leave earlier than planned. For some reason I wasn't invited to write my review on hotels.com pages in addition to the one and only a praise with superlatives.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
UK
Reviewed 25 February 2010

We stayed here 2 nights and it was ‘OK’. I understand it’s in the Krabi province but its nowhere near Krabi town, so I did feel the name was misleading. It’s also nowhere near anything, which depending on what you want is good or bad. I like to be a little out of the way of all the tourist hustle but this was too far, with no shops close by or restaurants except the hotels. Getting into Ao Nang was effort; local bus stops at 5:30 which cost 20B , the hotel also runs a tuk tuk, which is not free (as they advertise) its 150B, so getting around can start to cost you a bit of a small fortune if you are planning to stay for a while. Another downside to the hotel was that even though the rooms were clean, the water had a really bad sewage smell to it and the staff looked at me blankly when I asked about it. This smelly water makes sense when you can see the main land sewage pipe leading into the sea about 500m from the beach (I advise not going in to the sea near Ao Nang!) All in all, not a pleasurable experience unless you just want to sit around the pool all day.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank blondy_jade
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Great little hotel out of the hustle and bustle of Ao Nang and Krabi. Great views over the beach. The staff were friendly and helpful. I was really pleased I'd booked here rather than the large towns, whilst it was out of the way, it was easy enough to organise trips and taxis.
The only down side was the food, the choice was limited - breakfast was a disappointment. However the rooms all have fully equipped kitchens so it was very easy to cater for yourself.

Stayed December 2009, travelled solo
adelaide, australia
Reviewed 24 October 2009

Being new to tripadvisor, you read many of the reviews and realise that everyone has differing opinions. My wife and I (and 5 teenage children) travelled to Ao Nang recently. We booked into a Resort on the main strip and decided it wasn't for us- a bit too touristy. I happened to find an advertisment for Krabi Tropical Beach Resort. Well Buddha was smiling on me this day and the Resort was just what we wanted. It was away from the hustle and bustle of tourist strips (about 8 kms) yet cheap enough to return when we wanted (20 baht by regular taxi). It is a small boutique resort with great spacious rooms but the pool and dining location was fantastic. It is right on the beach front with views out to the islands which you also enjoy whilst relaxing in the pool. There is lots of local activity on the waterfront with longtail boats travelling to the islands, the tide moving in and out and the crabs busy about their daily chores. Do you think I was relaxed? The staff are so helpful and the food was fantastic. The chef made me a dish one night which was a red curry chicken dish - well I was hooked. I ordered that dish every night of our stay. The chef even let me watch her cook the dish and Phad Thai. The resort truly catered for our family better than I could have hoped for. The owner Stefan was a great host and we enjoyed the late night drinks including the cocktails. The best part was that I thought the bill would destroy me financially - how wrong was I. Make your own mind up but we have travelled to several Asian countries and this would be up there as one of our favourite accommodation sites. You don't have to alway spend top dollar to find a piece of paradise.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 August 2009

My wife & I stayed at the Krabi Tropical Beach Resort for Xmas 2008 & New Year 2009.

We had a large room on the first floor overlooking the pool & the sea. The hotel is about 15 minutes by car outside of Krabi, but plenty of local transport stopping at the "door" ensured this was not a problem.

This is a "family" run hotel & we enjoyed the peace & quite, the children & the family dog.

And great value!!! Very clean. And friendly & helpful staff. Fully recommend. Note this is not a luxury hotel. But a very high standard budget accommodation.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 27 February 2009

This was an okay hotel. Rooms are really nice-- comfortable beds, very clean and large. Nice balconies. It is not a great location. 10 minute walk to nice beach. Beach near the hotel is polluted and smelly at times. Food at restaurant is overpriced and terrible. Breakfast buffet is extensive but not fabulous. Not sure I love Railay either... It is quite crowded and generally polluted. Tip-- cheap food is just a walk down the beach, half price of food at hotel. Pool is small with very limited chairs. Staff was nice enough, but not very accommodating when we didn't have hot water for two days. They apologized, but they should have discounted our room! Internet is also VERY expensive.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank teachlearn
Gisborne
Reviewed 26 February 2009

On the surface it looks like the Krabi Tropical Beach Resort has everything going for it but scratch the surface and you find that it is really superficial and chaos. The pool was a god-send for my 4-year old son and I was relieved that it was the sort of place people wouldn't mind noisey children but everything about the place is so haphazard and relaxed to the point of being unprofessional. I had to answer the telephone at reception because there was either no one there and after 9 days they still couldn't figure out how to transfer calls to my room. The rooms are small and the "superior mountain view" I had required binoculars to see the mountains! It was on the main road and all you could see was dust. You have to like dogs, there is a very big one mooching around and kids as the owners children treat the place like their private playground. Its a hike to Ao Nang and taxis, tuk-tuks and other transport are so random tat it can be very frustrating getting there and you have to go to twon because there is NOTHING around this place. Luckily the cook is AMAZING, had it not been for her we would have left. There is a long-tail boat pier nearby but you have to walk past piles of rubbish along the beach. You can't sit or swim by the beach either because it is a mangrove swap, pretty at high tide but thats about it. Its it had been a third or even half the price I wouldn't have complained but for Bt3,600 ++ its just not worth it.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
Railay Bay Resort & Spa
#8 of 13 in Railay Beach
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,035 reviews

Been to Krabi Tropical Beach Resort? Share your experiences!