“Great Place”

Ranked #3 of 68 things to do in Carlsbad
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: LEGOLAND® California Resort has more than 60 rides, shows and attractions including the new LEGO® Star Wars™: The Force Awakens Miniland Model Display opening March with a 16-foot long Finalizer model made completely out of LEGO bricks plus six more scenes! Conquer dragons, battle pirates and discover ancient treasures at the Resort, also home to LEGOLAND Water Park, SEA LIFE® Aquarium; and NEW for Summer enjoy Surfers’ Cove – a water park expansion featuring racer-water slides. There’s so much to do, you’ll want to spend the night at LEGOLAND Hotel featuring new LEGO NINJAGO themed rooms.
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I just returned from San Diego and brought my children (3 and 6 years old) to Legoland. I would definitely recommend this park for those who have younger children! The rides were on the milder side, but enjoyable. The lego art was breathtaking! I was in awe of the talent that these men and women have! I do think that the park was overpriced, but what park isn't these days. We arrived at 9:45 am (park opens at 10 am) and stayed until closing (walked out of the gate at 5:15pm). We could have spent more time there if they didn't close at 5pm. The lines were short and sometimes there was no line at all. I really enjoyed being able to buy lego bricks by the pound from bins in a candy store type set up. My kids went crazy! The employees were neutral to above average and very enthusiastic.

2  Thank paulakoala
Write a ReviewReviews (6,463)

Reviewed 14 February 2009

We had been talking about going to Legoland for months and the kids (9 & 3) were very excited.

We arrived shortly after park opening and found that not all of the vendors were ready for customers. We wanted something to drink and had to walk past 3 kiosks that were still preparing to open.

In most of the attractions there are building areas that allow creative building. In all 5 building areas that we played in the Legos in the bowls were filthy and needed a good cleaning. Ewwww!

We ate at the BBQ restaurant in Castle Hill. My house salad was good. My ear of corn had a black (not exagerating) rotten spot on it but was replaced when I brought it to their attention. The kids had the hotdog & chicken nugget meals. My 3yo had one bite of nuggets and wouldn't eat any more of them. She ate the fries though. The apple fries with whipped cream are FABULOUS!!!!

We went on several rides of varying degrees. Luckily it wasn't a busy day and the lines were short so even the rides that were a disappointment didn't seem so bad.

The restrooms seemed ok in the early part of the day but into the afternoon they needed sprucing and garbage removal.

I have to admit that the things the Lego engineers have constructed are amazing. We all marveled at the likeness to real life.

I wouldn't call the day a total bust but I can honestly say I won't recommend going to anyone nor will we return. When you pay the high price admission that Legoland charges, you expect your experience to match, but it doesn't.

Maybe because we are season pass holders to Walt Disney World we are spoiled? We don't mind paying the high ticket prices because the food, entertainment, rides, cleanliness & upkeep all seem to be phenomenal!

Don't waste your money or your time!

3  Thank Tracy K
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Went with two 8 eight year olds, a 6 year old and a 5 year old - they absolutely loved it! The rides are perfect for kids this age. There is lots to do, including shows, interactive playgrounds, water park, and lots of fun rides for younger kids (5-10).

Giant Lego characters, cars, famous people - really cool.

The driving school was a hit.

4  Thank solarskier
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I took out of town friends and their Lego-fan children to Legoland this weekend, my first visit in over five years. None of them want to go back. Ever. I don't blame them.

This place is obviously not supposed to be as good as Disneyland, but they've really let things go at Legoland. The park was dingy looking; dirty queues, barely groomed landscaping, peeling paint, ratty looking facilities, etc.

The displays of Legos around the park look dusty and faded and broken down. The interactive features where you push a button and something happens in the display or on the ride were all broken. The sullen teenagers in baggy uniforms who run the rides and sell the food look bored to tears, and most apparently don't have the ability to smile or speak, let alone provide friendly service like Disney. The teenage kid driving our Coast Cruise boat and talking into the microphone might as well have been speaking in Swahili because he was so unclear and uninterested in his script that you couldn't understand a word he was saying! The lines move SO SLOW because the employees are SO LAZY that it's really frustrating.

And seriously, what's with the spiderwebs all over the displays? Is there a spider infestation in north San Diego County or something?!

The park still has a few unique rides and attractions, especially for kids who are Lego nuts. But the poor upkeep and dingy vibe that has settled over the entire park now that it's been open 10 years is really a downer. There's no parade, no walk around characters, no fireworks, no water show, no live entertainers, no bands or live music. It's just the rundown kiddy rides with broken effects and dusty Lego displays to look at as you wander the park, and then you go home.

And the worst part is that they charge nearly as much as Disneyland for an experience that is barely 25% of what Disney can do for you in one day! Highway robbery for what they are offering at Legoland!

9  Thank TP2000
Reviewed 15 January 2009

After reading the mixed reviews about Legoland, I approached the park with neutral feelings. I didn't expect Six Flags thrills or Disneyland fun, but I thought it would be an entertaining afternoon for my little one. Sadly, one half inch kept her from having an amazing time.
I had read some books on Legoland, had done some internet research, and everything seemed to point to minimum height requirements to ride alone, but nothing keeping a child from riding with a parent. Sadly, I learned that 36 inches is the magic height for independent riders, 34 for accompanied. My daughter was 33 1/2 inches, and was limited to four rides total.
I don't fault the park at all for enforcing their height requirements -- I would MUCH rather be safe than sorry -- but I wish I had found SOMETHING that advised to keep all children under 34 inches home. Perhaps I should've read the park map closer when we got there, but we had already purchased the tickets, so it still would've been too late.
All that being said, if you have a youngster ages 2-7 who meets the minimum heigh requirements, this park will be a whirlwind of fun for them. The rides are geared toward early thirlls (nothing too scary, but tests their thrill limits) and very reminiscent of what you might find in Fantasyland at Disney. The rides my little one could ride were a source of joy for her (and us), and I was extremely wistful that we could've added more.
The park does have a decent LEGO themed aquarium next door which helped us salvage our day. We also found a nice selection of restaurants across the interstate. For those not wanting to leave the park, I was VERY impressed with the selection of healthy and non-traditional park faire available at LEGOland. We were able to get my little one a yogurt while my husband and I ate some breakfast pastries -- much prefered over a cold hamburger.

Overall, I remain neutral about LEGOland due to our limitations. It is not the fault of the park for enforcing their height requirements, however I wish I had found out more information before deciding to go. If we end up back in the San Diego/LA area, we have decided to try it again with an open mind.

9  Thank dimndgal1