“Disappointed with food and service”
Review of Ocean House - CLOSED

Ocean House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I hate giving bad reviews to any business, but I have to in this case. We came in with a party of five, so we got a chance to try different dishes. None of our entrees were good (except maybe the zucchini app). We had to keep trying to flag our server on a non-busy Monday afternoon for drinks and condiments for our meals. I also went to their restroom and it smelled horrible and looks like it hasn't been cleaned and renovated in years. I so wanted to like this place because of the architecture and location, but it was quite a disappointment.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

Great atmosphere and service. Top notch staff!
They even have a dace floor and have a club night a few nights a week.
Great place to hold events!

Reviewed 6 November 2012

I have lived in Carlsbad for almost three years, and Brunch was my first experience with Ocean House. It's a well-known location to locals, but we don't always go there because it's a bit upper-crust. I don't really enjoy dressing up for dinner out, so I tend to go to KoKo Beach if dining in Carlsbad.
The brunch was memorable in that it was expansive and included a large volume of luncheon and dinner items, with less emphasis on breakfast items... unless you used the omelet bar. The omelet bar was well stocked, manned by a friendly chef, and flat-out, well, outstanding.
I can now comfortably recommend a local breakfast place besides the Village Pie Shop, Belle Fleur (also an outstanding and memorable brunch) and super-casual Swammi's Café... all in Carlsbad.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

This restaurant is a must if you only eat out one evening! Created to be a century old oceanhouse, it is beautiful inside and out. Tastefully decorated to suit the time period with excellent food.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

This restaurant is located in a lovely old Victorian home right on a corner of the main street. The restaurant seemed to have two dining rooms, but the night we were there the "fancy" dining area was booked for a class reunion. The "Cafe" side was on the left as you entered the foyer. There was a long bar with a row of small "booths for 2" parallel to the bar and quite close to it . On the other side of the booths was a large dining area with tables/chairs and windows opening onto the main street. There was also a side door from that area that lead to patio seating. If you walked through the bar there was a sort of narrow side room with tables on both sides - the kind that have a padded bench seat against the wall and chairs on the other side of the table. When we walked in the bar area was full except for one booth. We really didn't want to sit in the bar, so he offered us a table in the "main dining room" - which was empty. We felt a little odd sitting in an empty room all by ourselves and there seemed to be several people in the narrow side room, so we asked it there was a table in there. He showed us to a table in the far corner against the wall. We sat down and looked at the menu, but after a while we noticed there was no air back in that corner. We felt very picky at that point, but when the server came back we asked if we could move to a table that was closer to the entrance of the room so we could breathe. There were two empty tables together there and I think the person who seated us was trying to save those in case a large group came in because the tables could be put together to accommodate a big party. Anyway, we finally got seated and placed out orders. I had the chicken piccata with carrots and zucchini and (I think) mashed potatoes for $14. My husband ordered the beer battered halibut for $15. I think his came with veges also, and fries. Both meals were good. They served a complimentary sour dough bread that was really very tasty. The service was a little sketchy. It took quite a while for our dinners to arrive. When a table of 6 that came in and had placed their order after us was served their meal, we flagged down our waitress and asked how much longer until our meals were ready. She went in the kitchen and emerged with our meals in hand. The food over all was good and it was a nice evening. The place didn't seem to have their act quite together, or maybe we just hit them on a bad night since they were trying to handle the class reunion in the other room. If we were in the area again we would probably go there. There is a sort of open air mall right by the Ocean House with parking or there is parking on the street. The home itself is really something to see - very pretty. We even saw it featured on a Carlbad postcard.