“An option when visiting Legoland”

Hyland Inn Near Legoland
Ranked #35 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 18 August 2013

This hotel is within 5 minutes of Legoland and therefore a good option when visiting the theme park. Our room had a king bed, fridge, table and chairs. There was also free wi-fi. The property is adjacent to the freeway and there is some freeway noise. Amenities include a pool and coin laundry. Continental breakfast was quite basic and served in the small lobby. As it was very crowded, we passed and went to a French bakery down the street. I do think the property was overpriced ($220) for what we got. Unfortunately, ComicCon was going on in San Diego the same weekend we chose to go to Legoland. Inasmuch as most of San Diego was sold out, we had few hotel options.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank suzyqmalamute

Reviewed 3 August 2013

This place is on a. Frontage road right off hwy 5, is absolutely quiet, and immaculately clean. Im crazy neurotic about clean, and this place met my standards. Nice nice family run business. I recommend without reservation

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank angelkissed857
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The hotel is clean and up to date inside. Maid service was fine. Toilet stopped working and we had to call for repair at 9:00 pm at night. There was only one person in the office who said, "give me a little time". Thirty minutes later I called again and saw two people drive up to man the front office so the clerk could come repair the toilet. Kids could not go to bed until repair was made. Front desk clerk/repair guy brought his little daughter with him (no babysitter?) although it seemed as though he had a discussion with someone in the rooms behind the office before he came. Toilet did get fixed however, and kids were able to go to sleep.

We were put on the second story and told that it was because we were staying four nights and not many rooms available for that long(?) Really? Longer term people don't get preference?

Hotel is 50 feet from I-5 and extremely noisy.
Wi-fi is free and worked okay on Monday night but when the hotel got full there must have been 75 people on one router. None of my emails sent. Very very came in. Internet loaded very, very slow and I eventually gave up on day 3.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a place just to try and sleep this may be your place. It is rather noisy, next to the freeway and with a host of late night revelers. No place to eat within walking distance. No decent coffee, water pressure in shower barely adequate

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank katboy
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked a room here for my birthday, the plan was to invite a couple close friends to join us at the Carlsbad State Beach, and have a lovely overnight mini trip, this did NOT go as planned. The hotel is located on a busy street right across from the 5 freeway, its in a rundown little neighborhood a few miles from the beach. Upon arrival the owners checked us in (a man and his wife.) They seemed very serious and not welcoming at all, the wife seemed quite suspicious of my mother and I, looking at us up and down, staring! I immediately felt super uncomfortable. We asked for a quiet room far from the lobby, not only did we want peace and quiet, the owners where totally freaking us out (the lobby faces most of the property, and we didn't want to feel watched.) They told us that we had a "far away" room and gave us our keys. The rooms where alright, much nicer than I expected, I mean after all we didn't really plan on spending that much time in the room, we settled in and waited for our two family friends to arrive to pick us up for dinner. Our guests arrived and parked right next to the room, They were NOT going to stay with us, they wanted to come in see the room, and go on with our night. Not even 10 minutes into their visit, we get a phone call from the lobby. The male owner started yelling and screaming in the phone and told us that we were "not allowed to have visitors whatsoever, it was stated in the terms&agreement policy and to please have them leave." I was shocked, I understand having policies about EXTRA people STAYING in your room with you, but this certainly was not the case. I glanced out the window and saw both the man and woman staring through their window while on the phone with me. I'm not going to lie, I was furious. I told the man to stop harassing us, we where leaving shortly and hung up the phone. Two minutes later, the phone rings again It was the owner once again! He threatened to call the cops if we did not make our guests leave immediately. I was absolutely shocked. I literally hung up, grabbed my things and threw everything back into my car. At that point I could not get a good night sleep knowing that these people where so rude, and disgusting. What was supposed to be a nice, celebration for a milestone birthday was completely ruined by this couple and their business. I checked in at 3PM and was gone by 7PM, No refund, NOTHING. These people are extremely judgmental, rude, and know absolutely nothing about customer service. I know this hotel is a hot spot for families visiting Legoland, Seaworld ETC but I would never bring my children to such a trashy, judgmental, weird place like that! Please go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Anything but this hotel. Stay at a reputable, decent place. You can definitely find one closer to th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
10  Thank Ilovechirashi91
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed here only for 1 nigh during a trip to Legoland. It was clean and very close to Legoland. It was little weird that I was asked to pay upfront, but otherwise no problems checking in or out. The breakfast was just pastries and coffee, but fine. For the one night the price and proximity made it a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Kim A
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is very clean and quiet, it is just off the I-5 and it has very little traffic on the street in front of it, therefore, not too much noise at night. We liked the room, it had marble around the tub/shower and had nice carpeting and bedding. It afforded a nice overnight stay and we were able to enjoy a couple of days at Legoland for the grandkid.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family