“Very convenient hotel and location was just where we wanted.”

Carlsbad by the Sea Resort
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel was very nice and location was just excellent we had everything around us. Legoland is like a 5min walk away which saved us money on parking. The pool in the hotel was nice but could use a little cleaning. The breakfast in the morning was okay, could of used a waffle machine, but overall the hotel was very good.

• Stayed: August 2014
There are newer reviews for Carlsbad by the Sea Resort

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Our family of 5 stayed here July 29 and 30. We were on the second floor with a courtyard view. the room was nice and clean and large., and my husband loved being able to sit on the balcony in the morning to drink his coffee since he is an early riser and kids and I like to sleep in. Shuttle to legoland was great and saved us ridiculous parking fees at the park. Drivers were fantastic and always quick to pick up. Kids used the pool in the evenings and loved it., the pool can get crowded with kids but they didn't seem to mind. Breakfast was great with egg omlets and sausage.,yogurt and cereals and breads. I suggest eating before 8:30 or expect a line and crowds. We also ate one night at Ruby's Diner across the street and it was good. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We had originally wanted a pool view room but was glad we got a courtyard view. Less noise.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed 2 nights for a soccer tournament. Rooms are a little small but is furnished with a mini-fridge and microwave. TGIF is right next door. Across the street you have Starbucks, Rubios, Subway, Blaze Pizza, and the Carlsbad outlets. Pool and Spa are fairly large and great for the kids. The beach balls provided by the hotel was a nice touch. Font desk people are very helpful. Overall it was a great experience and would recommend for anyone who's staying the weekend.

Room Tip: Upstairs room have a balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014

we stay there only for one night after a day in LEGOLAND...the rooms were very big, nice bathrooms and good breakfast. I was a little bit disappointed that they didn't have room service but a restaurant was so close we ordered pizza and walked to pick it up :), the pool is small and one of the mattresses in our room was kind a funny but we were able to have a good night of sleep.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Had a nice room on ground level with a nice patio with treed shaded surroundings that was perfect for sitting and reading. The fact that the hotel does not have an elevator is limiting to amputees like myself but I preferred the lower floor anyway. Breakfast was too crowded and limited seating for a disabled person to take advantage of. Several nice restaurants close by including the fish house right across the parking lot and The Corner Bakery as an alternative for breakfast

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I want to begin by thanking Peggy for her assistance during our stay here. She is very professional, nice and does follow up on issues. She made our stay more pleasant.

Also on the plus side - the room was nice. Really comfortable beds. The shuttle to/from Legoland is the BEST part of staying here. Drivers were all helpful and nice; service runs as advertised. Mall across the street has various restaurant choices and discount shops (didn't shop but saw they are there).

Ok. On to the review. Last time I took my two grandsons to Legoland we stayed at the Sheraton. This time the price there was too high so I started a search for a decent place nearby the amusement park. I visited Carlsbad By The Sea webpage and liked what I saw. After all, staying at a resort is always a fun thing to do.

This place is NOT a resort by any stretch of the imagination! It is a large motel with a nice pool. I had to carry our bags in on a luggage trolley I found outside the entrance. The guy behind the desk saw I was struggling with the cart but did not offer to help. He opened the door to a "Bellman's Room" but I had to stow the luggage. The door was propped open with boxes which he said I could move to close the door. When I said I couldn't budge the boxes (and I'm pretty strong) he said he'd do it. I was hesitant to leave as my stuff was sitting in an open area but the kids were hungry so we headed across the street for breakfast.

The website says, "All guest rooms offer views of our tranquil garden courtyard or gorgeous outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi. NOT TRUE! Our room had a view of the back parking lot. The door from the room opened to a view of a large fence hiding the trash cans, AC, etc.

The Deluxe complimentary breakfast buffet is the same as one gets at a Best Western or other chain motel. It is average/standard fare.

The place needs outside maintenance - the wood trim around the rooms is nicked and dented and peeling. Looks like it's been painted over several times without prep work. The outside areas were clean and towels are provided by the pool. There isn't an elevator to the second floor which would have been a problem for us as we had several pieces of luggage.

There is a desk with a computer in the lobby. I'm not sure if this is the business center but I didn't see one on the site.

I felt I had been misled by the website. As mentioned above this is a glorified motel. Don't be fooled by the "Resort and Spa" in the listing.

Finally I booked the room for $184 a night plus fees. I did share my views about being misled by the web page with the desk and asked for a rate reduction. Given the proximity to Legoland, the breakfast and shuttle I felt a rate of $150/night would be about right. I was very surprised to learn at check-out that my rate had reduced to $159. Thank you to the manager for the reduction.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2014

If you need marble sinks, then you are not going to like it here. If you want wonderful and helpful staff, clean and tidy rooms, pleasant grounds and a friendly breakfast buffet then you will hit the jackpot here. We used Carlsbad by the Sea as a base camp for ventures up and down the coast. The drive to Encinitas beach was only about 15 minutes, Carlsbad beaches were right around the corner. A great place for families.

Room Tip: As for a garden room or a lower floor room, the access to the garden is great.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family