“A Great Place with a Great View!”

Tamarack Beach Resort and Hotel
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Palm Springs, California
“A Great Place with a Great View!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This property if part time share and part hotel, the hotel portion is on the first floor..Hotel guests had full access to all facilities including a hot breakfast each morning and a copy of the local morning paper..Quite good.

Our room was 113, I will definitely request that room again..Being on the first floor you would think, of I won't have a great view. Well, it WAS a great view as the hotel itself is elevated, so first floor rooms are actually more like 2nd floor rooms..we had an ocean facing king bed room..huge balcony facing the ocean, a short walk across the street to the nice beach and a few steps further to restaurants, etc..

Would I go back again? In a heartbeat! The staff was also very accommodating, the guest room was very clean and modern, no complaints at all! Do yourself a favor and stay at the Tamarack Beach Resort Hotel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

3 Thank DogmomDiva
TamarackBeachResort, Front Office Manager at Tamarack Beach Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for such a wonderful review. We are extremely pleased you enjoyed both the resort and all that the surrounding area has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again soon and wish you an incredible rest of the summer.

Kind Regards,

Shellirae Burton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Temecula, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My family and I live about an hour away from Carlsbad and have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions. We even booked several rooms last year to celebrate my daughter's graduation. It is very clean and the staff is wonderful. It is so nice to have the choice of barbecuing at the hotel or walking to one of the many nearby restaurants after spending the day at the beach (right across the street). The daily breakfast is an added bonus and the only way I can get my three teenagers out of bed in the morning. I cannot say enough nice things about the hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

3 Thank Mommaeatsalot
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel is very nice, but very expensive. We stayed 6 nights and it cost 1400.00. The rooms are big and I paid the extra to partial Oceanview, however because the grounds were not maintained there were several huge bushes blocking my view of the ocean. If you stay in the rooms on the bottom floor (mine was 121) make make sure they trim the bushes. I brought it to their attention and they did offer to move us to another room however the other room was half the size of our room. We asked if they can get a gardener to come and trim the bushes and of course they said they would but it never happened. That was the only thing that bothered me about the hotel. Everything else was nice. The breakfast every morning was fine, it wasn't great but it did the job. All the restaurants are within walking distance and not too expensive. My best time was on the beach, it is literally across the street and it is just breathtaking.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

2 Thank Irma D
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I just enjoyed a wonderful weekend stay at the Tamarack. In the past we have stayed at a nice resort down the street, but the Tamarack is our new favorite hotel in Carlsbad. We had an ocean-front room which was truly spectacular. Although I understand all of the hotel rooms are located on the first floor (the second and third floors are timeshares), the patio is more like a balcony, as it sits up above street level. The panoramic ocean view from the balcony is beautiful. I will say there was quite a bit of street noise Saturday night, but for me that’s not a deal breaker at all. It’s just a byproduct of the hotel’s great location. Easy underground parking, wifi and a continental breakfast are included and there is no additional resort fee. Our room was updated and clean (no dark blue walls like those shown in some of the room pictures online). The pool/hot tub(s) area is very nice, with plenty of tables and chairs. There is a rec room near the pool with a ping pong table and pool table, among other things. I'm picky and this property was very clean. We saw the most beautiful sunset I have seen in my life from the third floor deck overlooking the beach. Jessie at the front desk was especially helpful and accommodating. In fact, all of the staff we encountered were friendly. I kind of hate to rave about the place online because I want to have ready access, but this hotel is a gem. I have already reserved an ocean-front room in a few months to celebrate my birthday. Family members who visited us there have also reserved a room. I can’t wait to go back. [Some older reviews mention a problem with water pressure. We didn’t experience that at all. Water pressure in the shower was excellent.]

Room Tip: It is well worth the few extra dollars for an ocean-front room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank pickytraveler56_25
Central Arizona, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Great stay again at the Tamarack. Opted for the partial ocean view room which still has great ocean views and less street noise. Daily breakfast is very good which includes hot choices as well as cereal, breakfast bars, yogurt, juice coffee/tea (coffee pot in room also). The hotel is well maintained/clean, and staff friendly/helpful. The resort has pool and spa (hotel provides beach towels for use) as well as rec. room which also has a microwave available for use. The hotel is directly across the street from the beach and easy walking to Carlsbad Village. There is a patio/viewing area on the 3rd floor that is great for sunsets. Plenty of restaurants nearby and within walking distance. Stayed here again and would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank explorer9180
Olympia, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

After researching every single ocean view lodging option all the way up the coast from San Diego, we finally found this one. It was perfect! What originally sold us was that when we called to check, they were willing to give us a government rate for being a non-California state employee (the others all do California only). The free parking and breakfast cinched the decision.

We did the full ocean view, which I highly recommend. Yes you can hear the street traffic, but the view makes up for it. Although the room wasn't fancy, it was quite spacious. We had two queens, which still left plenty of room for our daughter's Pack 'n Play. Everything was clean.

The beach is easily accessed by crossing the street (at a signal) and walking down a gentle, paved ramp. My mom took our daughter in her jogging stroller with no problems.

We ate the breakfast, which was definitely continental. However, the area was clean and the items attractively displayed. Dense waffles were also available at the desk.

Although the upper floors apparently are condos/time shares rather than hotel rooms, we were able to go up to a 3rd floor public balcony to watch the sunset over the ocean. Beautiful!

The grounds were tidy and the staff friendly. We never saw anyone swimming, but the pool did look clean and inviting. We will definitely stay here again if we're ever in the area!

Room Tip: Go for the full ocean view! Room 104 was great if you want two queens.
Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank civil23
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

During a road / surf trip with my girlfriend we had a pleasant stay at the tamarack. We had an oceanview room with a big bed (don't if its a queen or kingsizebed cause i'm not a pro hotel booker) anyways..... Nice to get up in the morning and jump on the promenade for a quick surf check and relaxing in the late afternoon after a smashing burger in the fish restaurant which is based on top of the promenade.
Rooms are clean and basic. As carlsbad in usual there are bit more older guys and familys.
The breakfast was pretty american, but hey you are in america right? Very friendly staff at the reception desk, so the the housekeeping is.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple