“Average this time around. ”

Ocean Palms Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

This is our second time staying here. The first time was 5 Stars. This time not so much. The first night was great with no issues. They even let us check in a little early. The next day was awesome. The place has free beach chairs and boogie boards to use. It's close to down town Carlsbad so we walked there which is a plus.

After our second trip to the beach we came up to shower. My girls were in the shower and one of the handles broken so they couldn't turn off the water.

I called down to front desk and spoke to Jose. I explained to him the situation and was told he was going to go light the fire pits and then he would come up. I found this odd as the water was just left to run and i'm sure the cost of the water bill would be passed on to future customers.

I walked down to the office and Jose tried calling the maintenance guy with no answer. He even tried calling his boss with no answer. I finally told him to find me some tools and I would fix it. The front desk didn't even have a tool kit to repair simple problems.

I was told that we might have to move rooms. This was at about 8:00pm and I just finished grilling my family's dinner. The has grills need to be fixed or replaced.

We were given an upgraded room with an ocean view. I had to haul all of my family's belongings across the property. Meanwhile my food was getting cold.

The upgraded room was nice. Then we were hit with it.
After a long night at about 6:45am the construction crew shows up and are running saws and banging hammers... right across from our room.

I asked the lady at the front desk, when I went to get coffee, and was told that they started at 7:00am. I wasn't gonna argue about whose click was right so I left it at that. No apology just a "suck it up attitude".

I would stay here again because of the good service we had last time and I hope that this is an isolated incident.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Bbinkney
Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

We had an excellent stay here. Rooms are great, full new full size kitchen appliances with everything needed for cooking. The rooms were very tastefully done and beds very comfortable.
Staff was very accommodating and owners willing to negotiate. Thank you for the wonderful stay, if in the area again will for sure stay again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Butterfly487
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Beautiful grounds, fire pits for the evening. Staff are fantastic from Todd and Myles at the desk to Barry. Can't say enough good about the place. Looking for long term rental next year. Walking distance to everything.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We love this facility.The staff was very helpful and we loved the location.
The grounds are well kept, the rooms are recently refurbished and very well done.

They provide beach towels and chairs! There are BBQ's to use, although only one had guts, so the others need to be updated or fixed.

The fire pit area was our favorite! Every night we were there enjoying an after dinner drink and reflecting on the day. We even grilled one night and ate right there.

We were so happy to get out of the cold weather and this was the place to be!

Next time we're staying in the 3 bedroom!

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom, one bath. #201 One room had a little view of the ocean. We were right across...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 February 2014

What a sweet getaway! We went with another couple so we had a 2 bedroom suite which also has a living room area and small kitchen! If I wanted to get real picky, I would say they do not need to have an "industrial" style toilet paper dispenser! Overall we would definitely return! The accommodations were great, the staff was very welcoming and so very sweet!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor to have a view of the ocean although it was not a great view so we would...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Like Marilyn Monroe, this renovated mid-century modern hotel has charm and good looks. It's classy and kitschy and reminiscent of Old School Southern California. The staff members are all very friendly, the grounds and pool are small but lovely with FABULOUS lush landscaping. LOVE the outdoor fire pits and fireplace with Adirondack chairs !!!

My room was the smallest (that is all I needed) but tidy with a premium upgrade on the bathroom. With their beautiful suites, this would be a great place for the whole family to stay...which is what we might do someday...as the beach access is just across a little side street, beach chairs are free and the walkability of downtown Carlsbad is a solid ten. I recommend getting artesian well water from the 'Spa' on the main street. If you consume this healthy elixir during your entire stay you will leave totally refreshed.
Side Notes: As a woman travelling alone, safety is important. Carlsbad is one of the safest communities in S. CA. Of course, always watch out for yourself and never go down to the beach after dark alone.
If your are sensitive to noise, make sure you mention this to the staff.
Also, I didn't like the bed...too hard for my taste.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 February 2014

If you enjoy staying a tropical setting, you'll love this well managed and maintained resort across a quiet street to the Pacific Ocean. We've stayed here several times and it was a great experience once again. You can park your car while you're there and just walk everywhere. If you're a distance walker, you can get 4+ miles every day walking the beach or the boardwalk/sidewalk. The location is convenient to restaurants and shopping. Resort has a pool, hot tub, gym, laundry facilities and fire pits to relax by with a glass of wine each evening. There's coffee available, rolls, fruit and cookies every day. Most units have granite in bathrooms, all have granite counters in kitchen with nice appliances. It's couple and family friendly. The sunsets are beautiful in Carlsbad.

Room Tip: We like the 2nd floor at end of the porch so that we can sit out and not have anyone walking by. Th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple