“Ocean Palms could be a lot better!”

Ocean Palms Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 16 June 2007

My family stayed at Ocean Palms for a week and enjoyed the fact that it was so close to the beach, had a pool onsite, and a courtyard where many would gather in the evenings for a drink, to listen to music or play games. But unfortunately the rooms leave a lot to be desired. The room we stayed in was very small, the bed was terribly uncomfortable and left me with a backache, the shower was so small that it was claustrophobic and the television was snapping and sparking everytime we would turn it on, and I was afraid the place was going to catch on fire. When we notified the office of the problem they didn't seem concerned, sent a guy to look at it but never replaced the television. We were actually willing to look past all that because we enjoyed the fact that our room had a porch that faced the ocean (didn't really have an ocean view since a building across the way blocked it) that we enjoyed sitting out on to watch the people go by as we had our coffee in the morning, but unlike most of the places around Carlsbad, this place does not give the people renting the room first dibs on that room for the next year when they reserve it before the end of their stay, and they rented it out from under us. So, we went down the street and found a place even closer to the beach which was much larger for less money. Now I am so glad that we weren't able to rent at Ocean Palms again because the porch was not worth the money we were spending on the place and now my back will not hurt when I wake up in the mornings.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank Beachboogy

Reviewed 9 October 2006

For our family retreat we rented adjoining Luxury Mini Suites in the renovated section over the pool and hottub area and it was a fabulous experience. Rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. The dining areas in the courtyards made for great outdoor dining areas and the ambiance of the tahitian style carved palms, planting and lighting made for a exotic experience. Had recently been in Maui and found that our stay here was more relaxing and tropical than Maui. The easy access to the beach was great and the close proximity of Starbucks and numerous restuarants within walking distance made this stay one we will repeat again next year. The only complaint was the mattress on the pullout couch was sad but the regular bed was great. Definite repeat adventure.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank James H
Reviewed 16 August 2006

The hotel overall was what we expected...the older rooms are plain and outdated, but clean. It's the cheapest you'll pay to be that close to the water.

On the other hand, our good experience was greatly tarnished after we actually left...a few days later I noticed some extra charges on my credit card from the Ocean Palms. Being that we had paid in full before we even got there I was confused and called to let them know that a mistake had been made on our card. The first call I made I spoke to the manager who informed me that the price had changed and our room cost more, and that even though the confirmation we recieved in the mail said that we had paid in full...what we signed at check in had a different price.

The lesson...read carefully what you sign here, because after you leave and they already have your money...you get a "tough luck" reaction from the management at Ocean Palms.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank star_52
Reviewed 26 June 2006

Paid $187 for an experience that was a step back to the impoverished days of the depression. The room was full of depression era type furniture, very old and HIGHLY used. I paid an extra $5 for a wireless internet connection which never connected, but received no refund. The bed, the bathroom, the floors, the 14 inch tv which only received one of the four major networks..."awful" is too kind of word to describe it. It was so bad I could not sleep in the broken down bed. With about an hour of sleep in this mess, I got up at 5:30 in the morning, checked out, and hit the highway NEVER to return. This is a nightmare I would not recomend for anyone to live. I stay in about 35 hotels a year, and this was the worst since I accidently got booked into a brothel hotel in Lagos Nigeria in the 80's. And the staff...nice but not trained.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank Robert T
Reviewed 5 June 2006

Well, you have to keep in mind that not all rooms are newly remodeled. My boyfriend and I stayed in what they call a mini suite. True, it was spacious and equipped with a full kitchen, but it was in bad need of a paint job and new furniture. The mattress was so old, it had lost its springs. The blinds next to our bed were broken and could not close. Therefore, we were awaken by the early sun shining through the windows and onto our faces. The sleeper/sofa was a nice touch with the exotic flower/ leopard print. ?? leopard print? The bathroom is another story. The shower was so small and claustrophobic. It was one of those shower stalls that only allows room for you to stand- no bending allowed. Anyways, there are fire pits and picnic tables on the grounds. That was a nice touch. Another plus was the receptionist. She was very kind and pleasant. Location was great. Just steps away from the beach. I suppose I was paying for the location? I've stayed at better rooms at smaller motels. At least they paint the walls, have blinds/curtains that work, and have updated showers.

• Stayed: June 2006