“Fantastic family spot with outstanding service”

Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manhasset, New York
“Fantastic family spot with outstanding service”
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We stayed at this hotel for four nights while attending a family wedding. The hotel is pleasantly appointed and the location is lovely--the Pacific Ocean is right across the street! The staff is outstanding: pleasant, attentive and responsive. The room was immaculate and very comfortable, with particularly comfortable beds. The outdoor fireplace, the nice pool and hot tub and well kept grounds complete a very nice package!

After we had checked out from this hotel, I realized I had left two rings behind in the room-irreplaceable family pieces. I called the hotel and spoke with Ryan at the front desk who immediately went into action. Within minutes I had a call back to assure me they had the jewelry and were holding it for me. When I returned to retrieve it, I was thrilled to find it safe and sound. I was very grateful for this help and quick response, but not surprised given the level of service we had experienced during our stay.

Carlsbad is a delightful village and this is the perfect place to stay to enjoy the California beach ambiance.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
UltimateServiceGuru, Guest Service Agent at Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 7 July 2011
Greetings from the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach,

Thank you very much for mentioning the recovery of your lost item. Guest property is always something that is very important to us, and in situations where something is left behind it is paramount for us to find it and return it to you. I am so happy we were able to find what sounds like an incredibly important heirloom.

You also mentioned our proximity to the ocean, one of our favorite things to see every day! Guests adore the views of the bautiful Pacific ocean and it truly makes for a beautiful and relaxing experience. I am so glad you got to enjoy some of our outdoor and indoor comforts during your stay.

ryan.burke@hilton.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 June 2011

The front desk staff at the hotel was extremely friendly and helpful, however, the hotel itsself was not as nice as I thought it would be. I was put in a handicapped accessible room (not sure why... and didn't ask to move because I just didn't want to bother with it). The shower was kind of grimey looking and I didn't feel comfortable showering without flip flops on. I was also surprised to find an empty water bottle on the floor beside my bed. It's not much... but why wouldn't housekeeping just pick it up? It was right there out in the open.

The room was nice enough, but the hallway was extremely noisy. I must have been situated near a cleaning supply closet or something because several times a day there would be a loud banging like someone desperately knocking on a door. The walls are thin, so I could hear everything the guests above and beside me did. Water running upstairs and stomping, tv and music coming through the side wall.

The beach is very hard to get to. It is not a "beach front" hotel. You have to cross a highway, walk about half a mile, then climb down a steep cliff to get to the beach.

Also, on a Saturday (early afternoon) a child pooped in the pool. The hotel cannot control children (thats their parents job) but because of that the pool was closed all Saturday and into the afternoon on Sunday. I'm not sure about the sanitization process for something like that but it took a long time. I don't know if other guests were comped anything for the lack of a pool, but I wasn't offered any sort of discount due to the inconvenience. (I didn't ask for anything.. I would just think that if something like that happened, the hotel would provide its guests with compensation).

The "high speed internet" is free, but not high speed. I could not access websites such as netflix, hulu, or use skype (except for at short random intervals throughout the day) due to the extreme lag in the internet. It was too slow to do pretty much anything.

The bed and pillows were very comfortable. The tv worked well and had a lot of channel choices. The room service food (pizza) was very good but overpriced (as expected). The hotel is situated near the Carlsbad Outlets for good shopping.

Overall, it was a fine hotel, just not as nice as some other Hilton Garden Inns I have stayed in.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
UltimateServiceGuru, Guest Service Agent at Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Greetings from the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach while recently visiting the north San Diego area. We would like to take a moment to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us on tripadvisor.com. It is our firm belief that the best way to improve upon the level of guest service we are known for is through constant guest feedback; be it good, bad, or indifferent, there is something to be taken away from every comment a guest makes about their experience. Your feedback is invaluable to our continued success.

As you mentioned in your review we did face an unexpected situation with a child having an accident in our pool. While we wish we could always prevent situations like the one you mentioned, some things are beyond our control. Luckily we were able to provide a complimentary shuttle to a neighboring hotel so our guests could use their pool until ours was open again at 10am Sunday. Our guests love our beautiful pool and it was very unfortunate to have to close it, but guest safety is always our number one goal. I apologize for any inconvenience you suffered due to the closure, as it is our wish for you to always have a wonderful stay with us.

You also mentioned our proximity to the beach and the speed of our internet being issues. There are multiple pathways to the coast from our location and in cases where they are less than ideal we will provide a complimentary shuttle to the beaches north and south of our location. Next time you are with us we would love to tell you about the multiple beach locations around us. While the beaches here are an amazing reason to stay with us, we feel having complimentary internet access really makes our hotel a great value overall for guests. We are currently planning on increasing our internet speeds throughout the hotel to ensure that slow internet speeds are no longer an issue.

Thank you again so much for your review. It is our goal at the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach to ensure that every guest who stays with us has a "10" stay. We would love if you contacted us directly so we can rectify any issues you had during the stay, and so we can have a chance to win back your loyalty.

Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I made reservations at the hotel for my wife and I for our 13th anav.. I have been to Carsbad a lot and thought, I always wanted to stay at that Hilton. This Hilton is right accross the street from the beach. They have great surf accross the road. They even show movies on the lawn. You can reserve a blanket and pillows. It is shown on the wall of the hotel in the courtyard and its pretty cool. They were showing Lion King when we were there. The court yard is really nice with a fireplace with seating.
I wanted to have flowers in the room for when we arrived, so I asked the frond desk if they could arrange something for me. I thought to myself that it would be the regular size of flowers. My wife walked into the room before me and was in tears, they were so beautifull. I was amazed at how beautifull they were. The front desk really has there stuff together. They are super friendly.
Thank you to the staff for making our weekend beautifull!
Cameron and Tamara Abrams

Room Tip: third floor partial view
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tabrams1
UltimateServiceGuru, Guest Service Agent at Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 25 June 2011
Greetings from the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach while recently visiting the north San Diego area. We would like to take a moment to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us on TripAdvisor.

Thank you also for mentioning our Movies on the Lawn program. We try and provide many services for the families who stay with us and Movies on the Lawn is one of our favorites and most popular. We are also so pleased that you enjoyed our fantastic amenities that set us apart from other hotel choices. Our courtyard and pool are truly beautiful and we love to hear that you enjoyed them.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 24 June 2011

Everything was top notch from the customer service to the accomodations. A truly wonderful experience

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Avondale, Arizona
Reviewed 23 June 2011

In my opinion, this is the only hotel of choice when traveling to Carlsbad, California. Recently my two kids and I went on a weekend get away while hubby was out of town. The kids loved the weekend movies being shown on the back lawn and the amenities. While my oldest, who is in her late teens loves to visit the gym, my youngest (age 10) and I hit the pool to relax before going out shopping (great outlet stores behind the hotel) or to a nearby restaurant. More importantly, I can't say enough about the staff of the hotel. From housekeeping to the the front desk answering my beckon call, I sometimes think that I am at an all inclusive resort. The outstanding service combined with feeling like you are home keeps me coming back again and again.

Room Tip: Recommend ocean view room, beautiful sunset view.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Wow ..............I have stayed at this hotel few times, and i keep coming back, for me why go anywhere else.. great location, beach shops, restaurants .. but the number one reason is the service, staff and managment.
this hotel got it right i stayed over 500 hotels all over the world, this is by far the best.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We LOVE this hotel!!! We always try to stay there when we come to Carlsbad. The staff is amazing and so kind. They always remember us and the hotel is great with a great location. The food is good and the hotel has a lot to do from the pool, the beach, the bar, the movie nights, etc. My son loves this hotel and they have a shuttle to the local attractions.
I even lost my wallet in the lobby and the hotel staff found it and returned it to me with everything still inside, which could have really terrible while on vacation. Great place to stay overall!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family