“Good value - but request a view” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, CA
“Good value - but request a view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Everything very clean, comfortable, and cozy. Room well appointed. But view to the south of parking lot and (upscale) trailer home community next door could have been better. West facing rooms get to see the ocean across PCH. Would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
      Cleanliness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

I wanted to come up with a more descriptive title, but could not find anything more descriptive than fantastic! Everything was great, from the moment we booked to the moment we left. The hotel website was surprisingly spot on (you know, sometimes the place looks awesome in pictures and it’s a disappointment... not this one). This is one gorgeous Garden Inn. The location is spectacular, just across from the ocean. It was a getaway for my wife and me, so I splurged on an ocean view room and it was worth every penny. The staff was amazing, they seemed to genuinely love their job and proud of working there. Another pleasant surprise: the food! We had dinner and breakfast at the cafe'. I did not expect such food quality. I highly recommend this hidden treasure

Jacob

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacob C
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Booked hotel via expedia. Was a little price conscious, so went with "courtyard" view, but nervous that it would mean parking lot/freeway view....ended up actually being closer to a partial ocean/south//southwest (sunset!) view, so it turned out better than expected. Good water pressure & controls in shower. Better-than-average toiletries supplies (Neutrogena I think). Location-wise, I am glad the beach was so accessible.

Really GREAT staff - Ryan & Sean at the front desk answered all my misc. questions.... or referred me to who could (nightlife resource in the lounge - Malcolm? I think). I used to work for a hotel, as well as years in retail/customer service, so I'm quick to recognize genuine, "natural" hospitality personalities vs. the fake ones....these guys are real assets to this Hilton. IE - upon checking in, Sean saw that there were other guests with my unique last name, so he asked about what we were all doing here for the weekend, etc. Anyway, very helpful & accommodating.

Other nice-to-have amenities: small but good enough gym. Wifi was fast & seamless - no extra charge. Fresh baked chocolate chip cookies every evening to kickoff happy hour. Nice outdoor lounge area with gas fireplace. Biggest perk: free, on demand (seriously) shuttle to/from center of town Carlsbad, so we didn't have to drive to where the bars/restaurants were.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room away from elevators and ice machines. My room was classified as "courtya...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank AndreaSarn
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

We came here initially only planning to stay one night while we were in town visiting Legoland. We had other accommodations in downtown San Diego for the remainder of the trip. Long story short, we cancelled our 2nd hotel and stayed 2 extra days here! Hotel grounds were very well kept. Our kids had so much fun! On New Years Eve, they had a game room set-up with video games and food for the kids! They also had another party for the adults with dancing and champagne in their grand ballroom. The location at the property is a major plus, as it it situated right on the beach. Definitely coming back, very soon!!!

Room Tip: The courtyard facing rooms are beautiful!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank William G
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

The staff here is absolutely wonderful, helpful and friendly. The location can't be beat. Everything is close by. Great shopping, restaurants, attractions like Legoland and the Sealife Aquarium. There is a heated pool and hot tub, which were always the perfect temperature as well as some nice sitting areas around the property and an outdoor fireplace. In the rooms, there is plenty of storage and a microwave and fridge you can stock with stuff to take to the beach. Our favorite part was the complimentary coffee and hot tea in the morning and the warm apple cider and cookies at night. I highly recommend this place and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in room with a view of the ocean, which was really nice. Anything on the second or third f...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Our family stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad over the Christmas holiday 12/23 to 12/30 staying in two rooms. The rooms were nice - we were in a room facing towards the center (the pool area) but also had a view of the ocean as well. The facility is excellent: very well maintained, and the pool and spa areas were nice. The pool was warm (80 degrees or so) and the spa was 103+ degrees (which I like).

As important as the facility and rooms were, the staff was fantastic and "heads up". This was evidenced by things small and large - the way that I was greeted in the morning by the maids, the front desk staff, and the hostess at breakfast. Everyone smiled, greeted me, and this as much as anything made this place even more special.

Special shout-out goes to Cherie Finau at the front desk, who was incredibly helpful and attentive. An example: I was down in the lobby to get a cup of coffee, and realized that the urn was empty. Before I could even ask, she came over and told me they were getting a fresh pot, but then asked if she could get a cup of coffee for me in the meantime. She whisked over to the breakfast area, filled my cup and returned. This happened so quickly I barely had time to say "thank you" and it was just a great example of her helpfulness. On another occasion she went to the effort of arranging a lunch reservation in town for the family.

I've been to many hotels for both business and pleasure, and this will remain as one of my best memories. BTW, our "kids" are older (so we did not go to Legoland!) but they enjoyed the pool and we all liked hiking over to the beach for a nice walk. It was great weather, too - an extra bonus!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Cimarron B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

I wish my vacation was a little longer. It was lovely to come to a clean, comfortable spacious room. Front desk and housekeeping were very courteous and helpful. Pool was a perfect temperature. The only thing I can gripe about is I wish most of the rooms had ocean views.

• Stayed December 2011