“Excellent Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Scotch Plains, United States
“Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Employees were great and courteous. The grounds were beautiful. Everyone was friendly. The hotel had a cheerful atmosphere. If you want peacefulness then this is the place to stay. If you love the water it is in walking distance from your room. Surfing and awesome sunsets.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Park City, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

My family stayed here for 5 nights. We are Hilton Diamond members, so we typically do stay at Hiltons when we travel. I was torn between giving this hotel 3 or 4 stars, but I sided towards 3 due to not getting a great night's sleep while we were there.

Pros: The hotel is located across from the beach, and since it is on PCH, there are lots of beaches within a quick drive...or simply walk across the street. The rooms are "average" standard Hilton style - clean with lots of space to move around. The grounds are quite nice, with areas to sit outside and enjoy the view. There is also easy access to the freeway, so if you have a car you can get anywhere quickly (ex. Legoland, shopping, downtown Carlsbad Village, etc.). This is a very family-friendly hotel. There is a complimentary shuttle to Legoland, and on weekends they usually have a free movie playing outdoors by the pool for guests to enjoy. They have beach chairs and umbrellas for rent in the lobby, which came in handy when we wanted to go to the beach. We also went to a surf shop down the road and rented a boogie board for my son for $10 (for 24 hours). Wifi and breakfast each day was complimentary - not sure if this was because we were diamond members or if it is standard. The hotel staff was friendly, too, and the manager was great.

Cons: The beds were rather "hard" and not that comfortable. I am assuming that since it was summer time and since the hotel is close to Legoland, there were lots of families with screaming children while we were there. We were on the first floor and could hear kids running down the hallways and lots of loud talking every time someone passed our room. We also heard the family directly above us - the ceiling was not well insulated so we could hear conversations along with footsteps, kids playing, etc. There was also an issue with hearing loud "waterfall, gushing" sounds every morning coming from the plumbing in the wall between our bed and the bathroom. It was so loud that it truly sounded like a waterfall was right in our room and it startled us awake everyday! The hotel restaurant was average, and was overcrowded each day. They seemed to have difficulty keeping up with the crowds coming in to the restaurant, so there were lots of tables that needed to be cleaned, while people stood in line to get in. They ran out of some food items by 10am. I think that a lot of people must have had breakfast included with the room, so there was always a line and a wait for food and/or a table.

I think that if the beds were more comfortable, and the property were less crowded (maybe when kids are back in school), and if we were on the second floor, I would have rated it 4 stars. For the price and location, though, it was a good choice.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor so that you don't have any families staying above you. If you end up o...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LuvLuvLuv2Travel
Albuquerque, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

We have stayed at this hotel several times over the last few years. Each time we have had a wonderful experience. The rooms are clean and the bedding is so comfortable. The hotel staff is courteous and responsive. The bar staff were fun and the restaurant staff and food are always dependable. The location for this hotel is excellent. Just walk across the street and you are at the beach. Two minutes away is the outdoor mall and terrific restaurants. I can't say enough about how much my family and I have enjoyed this hotel!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

1 Thank Mari A
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here over 3 weeks for business trips in summer 2014.

The hotel is located across from the beach and in easy driving distance to downtown Carlsbad. The rooms are standard Hilton style, clean and easy to navigate. The hotel when I stayed had lots of families since this is close to legoland.

My only warning is that unless you are on the top floor, you will hear people walking around on the top floor, especially if its kids playing. It wasn't an issue as to how late it happened cause it seemed to stop around 10pm, as opposed to going super late at night.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
UltimateServiceGuru, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent review with us. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very family friendly and occassionally have very excited children here. We hope to see you again here and please know during our non summer seasons, we have a great peacful getaway as well.

We look forward to your next visit.

Regie Brown
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I love this hotel! On our arrival, the staff made us feel very welcome and the kids received a goodie bag and there was a goodie bag for us parents too! They also have this complimentary shuttle that takes us from the hotel to LEGOLAND. Not only that but they are available 24/7! We got to know our driver Kyle and he was AWESOME! He was funny, informative and was great with the kids. I also have to mention that they also have movie on the lawn on Friday and Saturday nights...very cool!

I would have given it a 5 star rating if it weren't for the beds. Unfortunately, the beds were not comfortable at all. Made us feel like we were being sucked into the middle of the bed because there was a big dip in the middle...LOL. We adjusted the firmness but it still did that.

Well, overall it was a great stay there and it was within walking distance to the beach...a big bonus too!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
UltimateServiceGuru, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your review and recent visit with us. We are happy you were able to enjoy our facilities and utilize our guest shuttle. We show our family friendly movie nights all summer long and are glad you were able to enjoy that experience with our team. Please accept my apologies for your experience with our bed. I have had our Engineering team up to make repairs so that all of our guests are able to experience the Garden Sleep System.
We look forward to your next visit and hope you had a great summer.

Regie Brown
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I used this hotel as a base for a business trip that included 5 International customers. I wanted a nice hotel that would allow them to experience the ocean and to relax after the days business. The hotel has a beach feel, comfortable, spacious, clean rooms. The hotel itself has a close knit feel with an intimate feel to the dining and bar area which is pretty small but still allows for privacy if needed. The price of this hotel varies dramatically and as i managed to book at a decent rate was pleased at the overall stay. There are a few other resort type hotels around the area but this allows a similar feel for much less money. It is close to Carlsbad village and the outlet shops so will be a perfect location for families. The view of course is spectacular and who doesn't enjoy being just across the street from the beautiful beach.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Nigel A
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I loved this little hotel! I was booked at a Hilton in Mission Valley for business and checked out early. Well, "checked out" is probably not the phrase. I escaped the Hilton in Mission Valley. They were in the middle of an enormous renovation project and I had planned to take the day off after my meeting and just enjoy some down time at the hotel. No way. They had closed down the restaurant, there was scarcely a lobby, there was sawing and hammering and welding and every kind of noise you can imagine. I realized I was heading back to L.A. anyway and maybe...just maybe I could salvage my one vacation day on the way home in Carlsbad.

I got online and found this hotel. I told them my story and they immediately held the last room for me. It was Comic-Con weekend, so this was no small task.

I arrived a little frazzled and worried that I was trying to force this relaxing vacation day. From the moment I walked in, I was treated like a queen. My room was ready early. The pool was charming. There were families and kids jumping in and out of the pool and having the time of their lives. I couldn't resist a smile, even though for an hour or so, it was like I'd invaded romper room. It was loud, folks. But, they were making memories, and so was I.

I went to the cafe and it was closed and I asked why the cafe would close at lunch time and she said it was because it gets too quiet at lunch but I could order anything I wanted from any restaurant and they would have it delivered to me at the pool for no extra charge. Sweet! Hotels don't do this much anymore. You either eat from their menu, or else. Great perk!

The room was comfy and clean and the service was wonderful. I had a partial view of the ocean and I went for a lovely sunset walk right across the street from the hotel.

Here's how I test if a hotel has really delivered: I didn't want to leave the next day. I lingered at breakfast, I lounged in couches out front with an ocean view, I joked with the staff.

It's not the cheapest hotel in Carlsbad. It's not a luxury spa, either. But for its size, it packs a powerful punch of good old fashioned fun in the sun.

Note: Don't plan on sleeping in here. The kids at the pool and calypso music start early. But in my opinion, sounds of happiness can often outweigh an extra hour of sleep.

I highly recommend this hotel. Bravo on the service and helping out a weary traveler!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo