“Luxury with a local twist!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Luxury with a local twist!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Travelling from overseas we only had one night in San Diego. Instead of the usual downtown party scene, we opted for more of a resort where we could just hang out and relax. The experience we received was far different from anything we could have expected. Upon check-in I informed the staff that we were there to celebrate my wife's birthday. They were friendly enough to say "happy birthday," but in places like this, its not what you say, its what you do.

Our room was beautiful and had a great view overlooking the pool and surrounding area. Our standard room was the size of most suites at other hotels. Room included all the amenities you could think of including iPod player, free wifi, and stocked mini bar.

When we returned from dinner we were pleasantly surprised to find a complimentary bottle of champagne, a box of chocolates, and a nice note thanking us for staying at the hotel and wishing my wife a happy birthday. This was is what makes the Park Hyatt a Five Diamond Resort.

The spa is great, and the facilities are top notch. If you get a chance to spend an afternoon there, or even drop in for a morning steam its well worth the $20 daily fee.

The staff made all the difference from arrival, to the bar staff in the main lobby. Unfortunately upon check-out we encountered a very rude and unfriendly valet cashier named Jimmy who left a lasting impression that was not positive. Only reason I mention it is because people like this can damage the reputation of such a fabulous staff. Forget about Jimmy...everyone else was AWESOME!

We will come back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AaronAXA
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Thank you for your kind review, Aaron. We are so happy that you opted to stay in North San Diego with us. A perfect location for a joyous celebration, and we are thrilled that we had the opportunity to make your wife's birthday special. Your kind compliments are most appreciated. If we can be of any assistance with future travel plans, please do not hesitate to reach out. We can't wait to welcome you both back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Spent 3 days, 2 nights at a business conference. Staff is friendly, helpful, yet not "over the top". The room was comfortable and the Fitness Center was great. The only negative is the facility felt a little "generic", suited more for a business meeting than a family vacation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that the staff made a genuine connection with you during your stay. As 2014 approaches, we are also anxiously planning entertainment for the new year. We look forward to offering new activities, and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back sometime soon from Portland!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We enjoyed our Afternoon Tea so much for my birthday earlier in the summer, we went back again two months later "just because." It was just as fabulous as the first time. We had a nice table for two with a great view of the ocean and enjoyed the tunes of a very talented pianist playing in the nook. We had the same server as before, who remembered us! She is so sweet and attentive. The food was as fabulous as before. Not much else I can say that I didn't say in my first review except this place wins high marks for consistency. We'll be back, again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience and that our pianist and staff made a genuine connection with you. We would love to welcome you this December, as we will be hosting our Teddy Bear Tea and our Traditional Tea will be inspired by the holidays. The lobby decorations are absolutely beautiful. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Aviara Resort in September this year. I have to say, we were very pleased. It was kind of off-season, so few kids around.

The verdict:
+ Well maintained property
+ Courteous management team
+ Room upgrade to a suite on an award stay
+ Close to San Diego (30 mins drive)
+ Quiet premises
+ Great gym!!

- Not much selection on TV set
- Food expensive
- Valet parking expensive (USD 30), there should be an offer for self-parking

Overall: Recommended for relaxed San Diego area stay

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
It was a pleasure having you! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you and your wife had the opportunity to completely relax. Your kind comments about our location, rooms, and 24-hour fitness center are much appreciated. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist with a return visit. We would love to welcome you both back soon.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Booked to spend a week here with the family to visit Southern California attractions. Got a really good deal on the rates and having never visited Carlsbad before didn't know what to expect. WOW !!! This resort is amazing, the staff are the most helpful I have ever encountered and the hotel itself is beautiful. The buffet breakfast is one of the best I've ever had and is well worth the $26. Valet parking is very expensive at $35 per day and the resort fee is also expensive at $26 per day. However these fees are worth every cent when one considers the quality and service of the resort. Can't wait to return !!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Craig G
We can't wait to welcome you back, Craig! Thank you for your kind review. We are happy that we had the opportunity to welcome you and your family to Carlsbad, and it is great to know that the staff exceeded your expectations. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can assist with a future visit. We would love to see you all again soon.
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I'll be honest. I've never been a Hyatt devotee. But my stay at this property changed me. I was staying for business, and was only there for a night, but sometimes you don't need a long courtship to fall in love.

The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful and very quick to respond to any request. The room and view was oh so lovely and the grandness of the property made me feel like a queen. Even the folks in AV who we worked with an the meeting folks were so very responsive. The catering was top notch too.

I loved the fitness center too. Had everything that I needed.

Guess who's a loyal Hyatt customer now. This girl!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are honored that we could instill your enthusiasm for Hyatt. Thank you for your kind review. If we can be of any assistance with a return visit, please don't hesitate to reach out. We would love to welcome you back for a leisure visit and see you again soon!
Arcadia, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

First of all, the Park Hyatt Aviara does not have the contemporary look that defines the Park Hyatt brand. It used to be a Four Seasons and that is why it has the classical (and thus a little old school) feel. In fact the Residences next door are still managed by Four Seasons. The lobby is grand and beautifully maintained with shiny marble floor. The grand windows reveal carefully manicured palm court yard, and if you are lucky enough a little bit of ocean. The resort sits on the top of a hill several miles from the ocean so don't expect anything like an ocean front resort.

We stayed three nights in a Panoramic View room which measures about 500 square feet. The view is not bad, and even though I did not expect ocean view, I could actually get a glimpse of the ocean which is pretty far away. The décor is pretty, well, Four Seasons like. The bed is very comfortable. The only wish I had was if the carpet could be a little softer. The bathroom carries the same classical look and even though still well maintained it is a little dated. While there is nothing extraordinary about the room, which sets this Park Hyatt apart is the excellent service. Every time I got into the car, I would be offered a bottle of water and directions without asking. The first night when I valeted my car, I forgot my cellphone in the car. A call down to the front desk got my cellphone sent to the room within 20 minutes. The staff did not knocked on my door since I had the do not disturb sign out; instead I got a phone call from the front desk saying someone was outside my room to deliver my phone. One day, my kid broke a tall glass valse in the lobby before I could stop him. The only thing the staff asked was whether he was all right. Overall they almost got every little thing right. The housekeeping did not refresh the lotion when it was low – it was not a big deal though.

The resort has two pools. The adult-only pool has a great view of the Batiquitos Lagoon and the small mountains near by, and of course a little bit of ocean in a distance. The breakfast buffet at the California Bistro was of good quality and variety. We also dined at the Argyle Steakhouse one night – while it was pretty good overall nothing stood out.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful review. The stories about the little things that impressed you during your stay are much appreciated, and we are so happy to hear that the valet and front desk staff exceeded your expectations. Please let us know if we can ever assist with a return visit. It would be an absolute pleasure to see you and your family again soon!