“Great service and awesome breakfast buffet”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We stayed at the Park Hyatt Aviara in Carlsbad in November-December 2013 for celebrating our wedding anniversary. The service was very friendly and respectful. The airline had delayed our bags because it was around Thanksgiving time -- the hotel staff were really helpful when they found out about this. They gave us all kinds of free toiletries and grooming things so we could get ready. The staff at the front desk, at the bell desk, and at the breakfast restaurant remembered us by name. They gave us a bottle of wine and a plate of chocolate-dipped strawberries on the day of our anniversary, which was a lovely touch.

The food at the breakfast buffet was awesome. A just big enough spread that you could taste everything but not overwhelmingly huge. Everything was delicious. I was in love with their almond croissants. On our anniversary night, we had dinner at their signature Italian restaurant Vivace, which was pretty good. They gave us a nice table by the fireplace, which was romantic.

The room was nice too. From our balcony, we had a view of their golf course and behind it was a lagoon and we could see the ocean on the right side.

We had booked a "stay 3, pay 2" offer from Amex Platinum, but they didn't know this on checkout. After I got home, I had to call Park Hyatt and email them my original reservation confirmation from Amex to get them to take off the charge for the 3rd night, which they did. So, I'm glad they fixed it, and that is why this is a 5-star review.

This resort has a very relaxing feel and if I'm ever celebrating something again in SoCal, I'd love to go back to this place.

Room Tip: Every time you walk by the lobby in the afternoon, get some free hot chocolate. :)
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Happy Anniversary! We are so happy that we had the opportunity to share this special occasion with you. Your kind comments about our staff, restaurants, and rooms are much appreciated. It would be a pleasure to see you again soon for a future celebration, so please don't hesitate to contact us if we may be of assistance with a return visit. Happy New Year!

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel was truly special. It us a hidden gem in Carlsbad. All personnel were wonderful and very friendly: the front desk, room service, housekeeping, shop personnel, bell service, valet. So impressed. Had a beautiful room facing the lagoon and golf course - it was beautiful and could hear a pin drop it was so quiet. Fun tip: order breakfast room service. They actually bring a toaster to the room and toast bread to your liking!

• Stayed: December 2013

Thank you for sharing the wonderful tip. It is great to hear that this extra touch made a memorable impression. It sounds as if you were able to relax and find a comfortable oasis during your visit, as well. Your kind comments are very appreciated, and we are so happy to hear that our staff made a genuine connection with you during your stay. Please feel free to contact us if we can assist with future travel plans. Happy New Year!

Reviewed 20 December 2013

This was a quick trip to the west coast and decided to stay at the Park Hyatt over the Hilton Carlsbad. It was a good choice. The property was somewhat difficult to find. The grounds were outstanding. I was offered a $75 upgrade to a Park Deluxe Suite. I took it and the room was huge over 1,100 sq feet. The room was spotless. I did find it strange there is no complimentary bottle of water in the room especially since they hit you with a daily $25 resort fee! And what's up with the $35 parking fee. Both of those fees are crazy! They will give you a bottle of water when you use the valet parking. If you are park of the AMEX FFH program, use it and it will save you some money especially the $26 buffet breakfast and a 100 credit that you can use throughout the resort including the bar.

I saw comments on here about the service but I didn't experience any bad service at all; matter of fact service was excellent.

Room Tip: If offered a upgrade to a suite, take it!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review, Tony. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade. Our Park Deluxe Suites were recently renovated this summer, and we are so happy that they exceeded your expectations. Your kind comments about our service are also greatly appreciated. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we may be of any assistance with a return visit. Happy New Year!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We spent the night here due to a party we attended onsite. We had a room overlooking the pool and lagoon. The room was very spacious, and well appointed. The bathroom was really big, too, and my wife enjoyed the robes. The pool area has a family section, and a nice adult pool. The hot tub was very nice, and a great place to relax. We walked around the grounds and every employee who met us was very friendly. A great stay, and the crowning touch was the 2 bottles of chilled water in our car when we picked it up at the valet.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. As a local to the area, please always feel free to reach out if we can be of any future assistance. We have many fun events planned for 2014, and it would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back soon. Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I recently participated in a business event and stayed here in November. As a frequent speaker at this type of event, I stay at a lot of nice hotels, and while the facilities here are fairly good, the customer service is decidedly not.

The hotel is nicely appointed, as is the room, but my bed was one of the least comfortable I have had in some time. In fact, a basic Marriott I stayed in recently was more comfortable. Breakfast was good, especially the fresh fruit, but the variety was quite limited. I usually expect to see something better (like smoked salmon) than the usual greasy bacon and sausages.

I felt nickeled and dimed everywhere I went in the hotel, but perhaps the worst example was the $8 bottle of water in the room. Most hotels of this type that I have stayed in give you 1-2 free bottles, but even so - $8 for one bottle?? it must have been drawn fro the fountain of youth...

The crowning touch was my checkout experience. They made a mistake on my bill, and speaking with the desk clerk, he could have cared less. In a hotel like this, you would expect the clerk to take some responsibility for getting it resolved, but not this guy- he just shrugged and smiled and said 'nothing I can do". When I asked to speak with the manager, he told me there would be a wait. Since I was in a rush and my car already there, I had to leave without resolving it. Fortunately I received a survey via email and was able to straighten it out that way, so I have to give the desk manager credit for that.

Definitely not recommended based on my experience, as here are a number of great places in the area.

Room Tip: only tip is "check your bill carefully".
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank roberto_jose_10

Thank you for your comments. I am glad to hear that enjoyed the facilities and that your billing issue was resolved. With that said, I am disappointed that we did not meet your expectations or make a better connection with you during your visit. We would welcome the opportunity to learn more and discuss your stay, so please do not hesitate to contact the Executive Offices directly. Happy Holidays, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

this is one of the new hotels in the area but it's very nice. the ice tea and floral arrangements in lobby uplifted the atmosphere. The room was kept well. Maids you see in hallway were all very polite. We love the entertainment room and the pool! Best thing yet is they offer bottle waters when you get your car every morning. it's excellent customer service!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
ParkHyattAviara, Guest Experience Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you for your kind review, Janita. It is great to hear that the little things exceeded your expectations during your recent stay. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any assistance with a return visit. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back soon. Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

What an absolutely gorgeous resort. We just got back from spending Thanksgiving there and what a perfect place this is. There are lots of beautifully decorated Christmas tree's, gingerbread houses, everything that just screams a Classy Christmas. The grounds were perfectly manicured
And the pools and hot tub were impeccably clean.
We will come back and stay here, can't wait.

Room Tip: I can't see how any of these rooms would be bad. Some have a breathtaking view of Carlsbad.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BarbieNevada

We can't wait to welcome you back! Thank you for your kind review. We are so happy to hear that you had the opportunity to see our holiday decorations, too. It truly is a beautiful time of year. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any future assistance, and enjoy this joyous season.