“Amazing Resort--Great for Families”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We just finished an amazing stay at the Park Hyatt this month. The entire staff at the hotel were very friendly and made my children feel like they were royalty. When we first arrived one person delivered and unloaded our bags, another made up the pull out sofa bed, another briefed us on all of the activities they have for kids.

The daily buffet breakfast was amazing--we are going to miss their fresh squeezed juice of the day, amazing pastries, house made granola and vanilla bean yogurt, some of the best pancakes I have ever had. The breakfast is expensive--but was free for 4 adults (I am a Hyatt Diamond).

My kids loved the pools, the croquet, playground, game room, and other facilities. The hotel was a very peaceful oasis for us--was very nice to come back to after busy days at Seaworld, the Zoo, and the Safari Park. The hotel is also very close to Legoland--we made a quick stop there and couldn't imagine staying at the Legoland Hotel--it was very chaotic.

I am also a runner and was very glad to find they had mapped out some local running paths--through quiet neighborhoods and through a park along the lagoon.

I also stayed at the hotel and worked a few days during our stay--the Wifi was fine and it was very nice to work on one of the two balconies our suite had.

Great stay in the San Diego area for families--it was a 30 minute drive to many of the parks--but we thought it was well worth the drive.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tkhong1989
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

It brings us great joy to hear that you had an amazing stay, and it sounds like you had the opportunity to both relax and enjoy quality time with the family. We are so grateful to have been a part of the experience, and your kind compliments are very much appreciated. If we can be of any assistance with a future visit, please do not hesitate to reach out. It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your family back soon with a fresh batch of pancakes!

Reviewed 11 April 2014

We booked one night to celebrate my wife's birthday and were extremely impressed with the service, property and food. Having visited the landmark Park Hyatt in Buenos Aires our expectations were high and we were not disappointed.

Think, Four Seasons for $200 per night. The rooms are huge with a sizable balcony and the property is large enough to get lost on and leave the outside world behind. What a find! We will be back with family and friends.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

We look forward to welcoming you back! Thank you for your glowing review. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our sister-property, and that your experience at Aviara exceeded your expectations. If we may assist with upcoming travel plans or future celebrations, please always feel free to reach out. It would be a pleasure to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is a wonderful resort. We have stayed here on four occasions - each a business meeting, each excellent. Rooms are very nice and amenities of the resort are first rate. Would stay here again, if in the area, for business or pleasure.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for your thoughtful review, Michael. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your business trips, and it would a pleasure to welcome you back on a leisure vacation! If we may be of any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

The property and rooms are well kept. Kids enjoyed the pool and the games room. The basketball, croquet and tennis facility is terrific. There is only one option for parking - valet - which is $35/day. The attendants are busy so, at times, there can be a considerable wait. There are not many dining options on the hotel property - California bistro for breakfast and lunch; pool cafe closed at 4 pm; dinner options at the hotel that were family friendly were limited. Check out was interesting - one person said that I could not clear my bill the night before I left (we had a 6:30 am flight out of San Diego) and another cleared it 30 minutes later. Erroneous mini bar charges were added to my account a few days later without an email of the charges to me. Hyatt can do better - I know it - I have seen them do better at many properties! I think that this property is very well suited for conventions and families with teen age children.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and feedback. It is great to learn that you and the kids enjoyed our recreational amenities. If we may be of any assistance with future arrangements, please don't hesitate to reach out. We would love the opportunity to welcome you all back!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We have been lucky enough to visit 3 times and every time we stay it is wonderful! Ryan at the front desk ready to fulfill any request with a smile; Catherine at the Concierge desk who was extremely helpful during this VERY busy week; Tom greets you out front with a smile and a joke; the Arnold Palmer and lemon water in the lobby is refreshing; the amenities lovely! The staff is always courteous and the grounds immaculate. If there was one thing I would like to add would be another restaurant - when you are here for business and not able to leave the property, a little more variety would be nice. It was only pronounced on this visit because the pool café was closed due to the winds and cooler temperatures. Overall, it is a lovely place and we look forward to our 4th visit sometime in the future!

Room Tip: We have stayed in the Deluxe Standard; Panoramic View; and the Junior Suite; all are lovely. We are...
1  Thank LJHS62

We are lucky to have you! Your kind review is much appreciated, and it is wonderful to learn that your most recent stay was memorable and that you have developed friendships with many of our staff members over your visits. We all look forward to seeing you next time. Please do not hesitate to reach out if we may be of any assistance.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Loved the grounds of this resort. I came to participate in a group meeting with my company and decided to stay for a few days to enjoy CA. The staff was helpful and attentive, the food was great and the meetings rooms were appropriate to our needs. The adult pool area was divine and I loved (and admittedly was a little surprised) to hearing music playing when I went underwater.
The only issue that I had with our stay was the gnats in our room. We were in a suite and the gnats were in the bathroom, closet and bedroom. When I called down on the first night, I was told a manager would be notified and would call me back after it was looked into. I didn't receive a call back, so I called back again the second day and was told that maintenance would take a look. On the third day, I went to the front desk to ask if the room had been treated, as they were very present in the room. The front desk asked if I had the balcony doors open...(?). I responded by saying no, as the initial part of the trip was for business travel. (Even if I had, does that negate the fact that the gnats were in the room?)
By the fourth day, I decided to spend as much time outside of the room as possible so that I didn't have to deal with it. I also mentioned that the gnat problem has not been addressed as I was checking out, however, not much care was given to the issue not being addressed.

Outside of that, the resort was great. I will definitely come back, but would request/demand a room change if the insect problem presented itself again.

Room Tip: High rooms have a spectacular view. Rooms in the middle of the property have to hike to the elevato...
1  Thank Shelle06

Thank you so much for your kind review and feedback. We are happy that you had the opportunity to stay a few extra days for leisure. The underwater sound system in our Adult Pool is always fun surprise! In regards to your room concern, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience. You are absolutely correct, and there is no excuse that your concern was not handled more promptly. We are better than that, and we look forward to welcoming you back to exceed your expectations on every level. Please don't hesitate to contact us for any future arrangements, as it would be a complete pleasure to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

This place is coasting on the reputation of the previous owner, The Four Seasons. The building and grounds look like a Four Seasons but the staff is more like a low end Hilton or Holiday Inn..No polish, no style, just bad. Most act like they are scared to death of breaking some rule.

The bar and restaurant staff are much more concerned with accounting than taking care of their guests. Nothing seems to work; TV, remote, coffee maker. This is a really expensive nightmare.
The whole place reeks of being run by an accountant not a hospitality pro.

I am here to make three presentations to a conference. When I arrived for my first, the hotel staff had set up a table on the stage where I was suppose stand to make my presentation. The staff told me it was there for a panel discussion that was to happen right after mine. They expected me to stand behind the table while I spoke. I had to move the table and chairs out of the way myself as I was being introduced.and, put them back when I was done..I am not making any of this up!
The staff is that bad!

None of the furnishings look like they fit the building. Everything has that cheap, not quite right look. I have to assume the Four Seasons took all the high end stuff with them when they left.

The food in the main dining room is represented and priced as fresh. My fish was definitely frozen. Stringy and dry

Every person in our group is ready to move to a new location. If I had to pay for this myself, I would lose it.

This is a below average hotel with crazy high prices. Avoid this one at all costs.

Room Tip: don't get a room here
6  Thank sjmacdee