“Been here several times, time to update my review.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Phoenix, Arizona
“Been here several times, time to update my review.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have stayed here at least once a year for the last 4 years or so. Last time I reviewed this property I gave it 5 stars. This time I am moving it down to 4 stars.

The property is gorgeous, and has great views. Overall it is a very nice place to stay, and I would come here with my family if I was in Carlsbad for any reason. I really like this hotel.

So why the downgrade? Well a couple of things, one the overall cleanliness of the property was down a little. It just wasn't as immaculate as last time I was there. (in their defence I did see people vacuuming inside of chandeliers and cleaning carpets) But overall it just felt slightly beat up compared to before.

We were there on business with a conference. This is part of why I am downgrading as well, the set-up staff had roughly about a 30min to 1 hour response time for any request. As you know that is not good when trying to set-up or run a meeting. Several of the housemen were very gruff and short and by no stretch pleasant to work with. Not all of them mind you, just a couple.

Overall I recommend this hotel stil, it is just not as good as when it was the four seasons previously....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Your feedback is much appreciated, Clyde. We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed many return stays to Aviara - Carlsbad is a beautiful destination for the family. With that said, we are disappointed that we did not exceed your expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to show you that we are better. Please do not hesitate to reach out if we may be of any assistance. We would love to welcome you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Torrance, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We just did a quick overnight stay, enjoying the day hanging out at the pool. The water was a little cool, but the weather was warm, so we adjusted to the temperature quickly. It was not very busy, so staff service was excellent everywhere. We ate lunch by the pool - the fish tacos were scrumptious, the ahi wrap was decent although only if you like mango. We had room service for dinner - shrimp quesadilla was also very scrumptious! I thought prices were reasonable for the quality of food. The room was a good size, nice layout, the bathroom could have had a different layout to accommodate a larger shower, though. We loved the illy espresso machine in the room, very nice touch! Yes, the valet took some time to retrieve our car, but other than that, we really enjoyed our stay. We've stayed at a Four Seasons before, and I think the Aviara held very similar standards. Hopefully we'll be able to check out the spa on our next visit!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Your kind comments are very much appreciated. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the pool and that our restaurant exceeded your expectations. It is also great to hear that you loved the illy espresso machines - we agree that they are a wonderful way to start the day! If we may be of any assistance with a return visit, please don't hesitate to reach out. It would be our pleasure to see you again and arrange a spa ritual for you!
Terre Haute, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Lovely property in a beautiful setting. Enjoyed the smell of jasmine upon entry. Perfect setting for attending my conference. Nice lobby area with many public sitting areas adorned with exquisite orchids Easy to relax in large room with great bath (I liked their soap & lotions so much I plan to order some online). Private (yes, really) balcony great place to sit in robe (provided) and savor morning coffee. Fabulous pool with waterfall feature and food/drink service. All meals were tip-top. All staff were friendly, efficient, and professional. Five stars in my book!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your glowing review, Linda. The bath amenities you enjoyed are Le Labo fragrances - we love them, too! It is so wonderful to hear that we exceeded your expectations, and that the staff made a genuine connection with you during your stay. If you are planning an upcoming leisure trip, please don't hesitate to reach out. It would be a pleasure to see you again soon.
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Lovely property. This was our third visit including our first magical trip to the property when it was a Four Seasons. Park Hyatt is fine, but not the same as a Four Seasons. We planned a short, relaxing trip to this property after our stay at Disneyland. It was anything but relaxing for me. The Internet went down mid morning while I was working from the hotel, causing me to have my family come back from the beach so I could find a coffee shop with WiFi and get my work done. It was down for four hours so I missed my deadline, screwed up my day by running around and then messed with the my family at the beach. It was super frustrating and with all the running around, I was not able to spend anytime relaxing with my family. So...should I be upset? Should they have Internet for guests? Things happen but my expectations were not met at such a great place and it ruined my day (which was my only full day at the resort). No spa time or beach time for me.

And the valet took way too long and seemed disorganized.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank twinexplorers
Thank you for your kind remarks about our property, and we are happy to hear that you have enjoyed return visits. We are, however, disappointed to learn about your experience with the internet. Our sincere apologies for the inconvenience, as this disrupted valuable time in your day. In this type of rare situation, we offer our Business Center computers and wired internet options as an alternative to wireless. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to exceed your expectations, so please do not hesitate to reach out if we may be of any assistance.
Murrieta, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is a beautiful resort, however their parking accommodations leave little to be desired. Every time we came back to the resort, we had to wait up to 20 minutes just to get to the front entry in order to have the valet park our car. I don't know if this is a design flaw in the resort (only one main entry) or a lack of staff to park the cars, but it is not what I would expect for a resort of this caliber.

Otherwise the facility and staff were excellent and to their credit, they did comp our valet and several other items to make up for this.

Room Tip: The suites are very nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GJBuy
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for your kind review and feedback. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and are very happy to hear that you had a wonderful experience with our staff. On rare occasions, such as last week, we host large groups that impact our parking services. Yet, that is no excuse for an extended wait time. If we may be of any future assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back and see you again soon.
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Fine location in a great landscape. Reception well designed. A little to large. Did not like the perfume smell in the lobby. Maybe to hide the chloral smell.the rooms are very nice and great designed. The room service is excellent. Same for house keeping. They work so hard and with a smile and so polite. Reception ladies could learn from them.
The several pools very positive. As a non interested golfer ,the location is a little boring.
The restaurant Vivace was very good!
Valet parking cost 35 Dollar. No escape!
Resort Fee 25 Dollar.No escape.
Plus Occupancy Tax, CA Assessment Fee and Carlsbad Tourism Assessment.

However good service and the rooms are very good.

Room Tip: We where happy not to see and hear the pool areas.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Puffinman
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for your kind review. Your compliments about our housekeeping team, rooms, and Vivace are much appreciated, and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. If we may be of any assistance with future travel plans, please don't hesitate to reach out. We hope to welcome you back very soon!
Pleasant Grove, ut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We just finished an amazing stay at the Park Hyatt this month. The entire staff at the hotel were very friendly and made my children feel like they were royalty. When we first arrived one person delivered and unloaded our bags, another made up the pull out sofa bed, another briefed us on all of the activities they have for kids.

The daily buffet breakfast was amazing--we are going to miss their fresh squeezed juice of the day, amazing pastries, house made granola and vanilla bean yogurt, some of the best pancakes I have ever had. The breakfast is expensive--but was free for 4 adults (I am a Hyatt Diamond).

My kids loved the pools, the croquet, playground, game room, and other facilities. The hotel was a very peaceful oasis for us--was very nice to come back to after busy days at Seaworld, the Zoo, and the Safari Park. The hotel is also very close to Legoland--we made a quick stop there and couldn't imagine staying at the Legoland Hotel--it was very chaotic.

I am also a runner and was very glad to find they had mapped out some local running paths--through quiet neighborhoods and through a park along the lagoon.

I also stayed at the hotel and worked a few days during our stay--the Wifi was fine and it was very nice to work on one of the two balconies our suite had.

Great stay in the San Diego area for families--it was a 30 minute drive to many of the parks--but we thought it was well worth the drive.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank tkhong1989
It brings us great joy to hear that you had an amazing stay, and it sounds like you had the opportunity to both relax and enjoy quality time with the family. We are so grateful to have been a part of the experience, and your kind compliments are very much appreciated. If we can be of any assistance with a future visit, please do not hesitate to reach out. It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your family back soon with a fresh batch of pancakes!