“Shangri LA”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Driving up to the hotel the folliage is beautiful.When you arrive at the Valet they greet you with the warmest/friendliest welcome. The front desk greets, you by name and make you feel we have been waiting for you and were glad to have you staying at our Hotel. The Bellman is very helpful with things to do places to see and eat in the area. Our room was extremely clean including the patio with the wonder view of the golf course. Room service was fast and good. The fragrance that diffuses throughout the Hotel is simply heavenly. The overall stay was EXCELLENT.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MontegoBaynlovinit
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you very much for your glowing review. We are thrilled to hear that the service exceeded your expectations and that you had an excellent stay. If we may be of future assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back soon!

There are newer reviews for Park Hyatt Aviara Resort

Reviewed 28 May 2014

From arrival to departure the experience was wonderful. The room size was amazing - HUGE! The espresso machine was a really nice touch. In room dining and dining in the lounge was excellent. Staff was helpful and pleasant. Gift shops amazing. A perfect experience for sure.

Room Tip: I overlooked the center courtyard. In the evening I sat on my balcony and listened the music.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review! We are happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations and that enjoyed the extra touch of the Illy Espresso machines. We agree that they are a wonderful way to start the day. If we may ever be of future assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out. It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back, and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is classy and modern. Very friendly and helpful staff is always around to assist their guests. The rooms are super comfortable and have all the amenities needed, even expresso machines. The restaurants have delicious food and great service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkHyattAviara, Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you had a wonderful stay, and that you enjoyed the illy espresso machines. We agree - they are a great way to start the morning. Please feel free to reach out at any time when we may be of assistance with a return visit. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I like good deals, and the Park Hyatt Aviara is most certainly a good one. A few reviewers said it that it used to be "owned" by Four Seasons, but this is incorrect. In fact, it was operated by The Four Seasons but a dispute with hotel ownership meant that Four Seasons lost their flag (despite desperately wanting to keep it on the property and even fighting ownership in court) and that's when Park Hyatt stepped in. The best part is that prices dropped, and during the off season, this place can be a resolute bargain.

It is, by all means, a five star and five diamond resort, with excellent grounds in a private and serene location. It has great amenities, including an adult pool and spa, delicious room service and several on-site restaurants. They have an afternoon tea service, fresh lemonade and tea in the lobby, and views of the gold course, lagoon and ocean.

The rooms are spacious and well maintained. The bathroom are large as well. Most room shave a decently sized private balcony with views of the canyons, lagoon and ocean. They do generally try to upsell rooms while they are there (it's a large resort with a lot of rooms, and the staff are trained to upsell - this was always the case, even when it was a Four Seasons), but I always opt to stay away from the pool facing rooms. I prefer the view of the lagoon and canyons.

Yes the Valet and Resort fee do add up - you have to factor this into the cost of staying. Most five diamond resorts are like this.

The pool is always heated to a warm 82 degrees. I love it. A great view from the adult pool as well.

You will need a car to get around the area, as a former San Diegan, I am quite used to this, but if you're from a major city center, this might be slightly off putting. There are no major city centers or areas around the resort - it is in a quiet residential neighborhood.

I almost gave it five circles, its more like a 4.5 My only irk is the consistency of the customer service, sometimes the valet, sometimes the service staff and sometimes the administration. I've gotten errors on my invoices on several stays, sometimes the valet staff is dismissive, and the front desk isn't well trained in all of the various credit card packages there are.) I've stayed here quite a bit so I've interacted with a lot of the staff members and was a good friend to a former employee. A large, high caliber resort like this is very difficult to manage, even for an experienced hotel operator - I wish there was a little bit more consistency, but given the price point set by Park Hyatt, I think it is a very good tradeoff.

They also have very good relationships with selected travel packages and credit cards. I use mine to get a resort credit and the buffet breakfast. I think these are already priced in as the buffet breakfast isn't the greatest in selection and prep.

Nevertheless, I will likely continue to visit the resort on a regular basis to get away from the hustle of my hometown.

Room Tip: Skip the pool view - noisy and not as nice as the surrounding canyon view. Opt for the higher level...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 636arthuri

Your glowing and thoughtful review is greatly appreciated, Arthur. Thank you. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and your compliments will be shared with the team. When we have the opportunity to welcome you for a return visit, please do not hesitate to reach out. We would love to see you again soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The service was very good. The staff was happy. The food was excellent on all 3 days that we ate there. Great shops. Music by the pool in the afternoon, and then really first class lounge acts in the lounge at night. I liked Carlsbad better than I expected. Great patio, great view.

I'm hard pressed to think of a negative except perhaps that the cars are parked a bit far from the front of the hotel. So, if you want your car, call before you leave your room so that it's coming up. If you just show up at the front and ask for your car, it's going to take a few minutes.

I've stayed at the St. Regis in Dana Point several times, and my current impression is that I like this hotel better even at the same price. The price though seems to be about $100 or more a night different -- I'm guessing that Carlsbad is just less expensive.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our poolside music during your recent stay. We agree - it sets the tone for a great afternoon. Your kind comments are very much appreciated, and we are grateful for the opportunity to have welcomed you well to Carlsbad. When we may be of assistance with a return visit, please do not hesitate to reach out. We would love to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

From the moment you pull up to the valet parking you are treated with first class service. The front desk and all of the staff working at the resort are friendly and helpful. The grounds are amazing and the room was clean and beautiful. I had a palm court room which possibly is the least expensive room available and it was still better then a more expensive room at other resorts I have had the privilege to stay at. Unfortunately for me I have back issues and the mattress was much too soft for back support. I will bring this to the attention of the hotel so they can investigate if the mattress is worn out and needs replacement or it was just a personal preference on my behalf. I am sure if I mentioned it at the time of my stay the issue would have been addressed but I was very exhausted from traveling and did not want the hassle of changing rooms or having a firmer bed brought into the room, so I slept in the couch. Even sleeping on the couch could not take away points from this beautiful resort with such a wonderful staff. I would certainly recommend this resort to anyone who is going to be staying in the Carlsbad area. Four stars + for sure :)

Room Tip: I had a standard room and it was still amazing, I do not think you can have a bad room in such a be...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review, Jason. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and greatly appreciate your guestroom feedback. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back, and we would look forward to ensuring that you have the best mattress for your needs. Please feel free to reach out at any time. Many thanks for your compliments, and we very much hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed in the Park Hyatt Aviara Resort at the end of April, 2014 for a conference. Excellent conference facilities. Ballroom was a bit dark for social engagement of conferees, but plentiful rooms for breakout sessions. Excellent food for all meals served during the conference and exquisite dinner on the back patio. Views are stunning of the Batiquitos Lagoon and the Pacific Ocean. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, beautifully appointed. Large bathrooms. Very relaxing environment for a conference or stay with a family. The pool areas are designed for adults and children to have pleasant experiences.

Room Tip: Above the second floor (a portion of which are below the restaurants and marble-floored entry - some...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you very much for your kind review, Jan. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay, and your compliments about our guestrooms, views, meeting space, and food are much appreciated. When we may be of assistance with a return visit, please do not hesitate to reach out. It would be an absolute pleasure to welcome you back soon!