“Beautiful hotel, working out kinks of change in ownership”

Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Beautiful hotel, working out kinks of change in ownership”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2010

This hotel was a Four Seasons until last month and you can still see the change in progress in property signage, employee training, functionality of room keys, small service details, etc... However, this is a beautiful resort whose function space, recreational space (pools, jogging trails etc...), spa and guest rooms are all elegant, well-appointed, well-maintained, and luxurious. I was there for 5 nights for a combination of business and pleasure and thoroughly enjoyed it. The food was consistently good and the staff are all very gracious and friendly, without being over the top. It is also amazingly quiet - the hotel was fully booked (in fact oversold) while we were there but it was amazingly peaceful - I never would have guessed they were sold out. It's far from cheap of course, but you do get what you pay for here.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
ParkHyattAviara, General Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the new Park Hyatt Aviara Resort. We look forward to your return visit, so you may see all of the fresh touches we are implementing at this beautiful resort.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sarnia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2010

I stayed here back in March when it was still a 4 seasons and absolutely loved it. The professionalism of the staff, amazing rooms, amenities, activities were all top class. This is by far the best resort I have stayed at and certainly hope that Park Hyatt can live up to the 4 seasons high standards.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank jarod181
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2010

Hy husband and I stayed last weekend. We actually live in the area and it was our first opportunity to get a weekend away without the kids and I also needed another stay before the end of the month with Hyatt, so we picked the Park Hyatt. I was already willing to cut them some slack since I knew it was their first weekend as a Hyatt instead of the previous Four Seasons.

The valet was a bit overdone. The valet took our car, walked us into the lobby toward the check in desk and constantly talked about things we can do, take the shuttle to the steakhouse and on and on. It was pretty busy in the valet area so I don't really have any complaints; sometimes, minimal is better though. Check in was interesting. With all the hoopla in the valet area, there was no one in the check in area of the lobby. There were two clerks there and one helped us. She never welcomed us, never cracked a smile, never strayed from the task at hand. Kind of a polar opposite of the valet. (had to later come back and ask for a room minibar key as she didn't give it to us at check in or ask if we wanted it)

The room was an upgrade though, with balcony overlooking the pool and lagoon. We decided to go ahead and walk around the grounds. They are beautiful and very resort-like. The weather was perfect, though it probably is most days at Aviara, considering it's proximity to the water. We wound around toward the pool which was on the smaller side for an upscale resort with no shortage of children yelping and having a good time. As we did not bring kids this time, we opted to go the the adult area that had a pool and jacuzzui. We sat at the poolside overlooking the lagoon but the pool and jacuzzi in this area were "not working right now" said a really nice young man. My husband went up to the pool bar and brought us drinks which were astronomical in price but you are not just paying for the drink-- the view was beautiful. Strangely at the adult pool you could hardly hear the kids at the family pool, which was very nice! We finally went back in and didn't feel like taking a shuttle to the steakhouse. It's on their property but apparently a bit away from the main building. We went to the lobby bar and they had full on dinners on their menu so we got the salmon which the chef gladly blackened for my husband (not indicated that it is cooked that way on the menu). The food was amazing and the wines were very good. After we left the bar to go to our room, there was an unreal amount of small children running around the lobby. Not just the kids, but their parents as well. I don't know what parents are thinking, running around screaming "I see you!, I see you!" at the top of their lungs like it was a playground. Our room was on the lobby floor (which is actually the third floor) and they were even running down the hall where our room was yelling and I though "Oh Great", but when we got to the room, we couldn't hear them again. Soundproofing is very good in the hotel.

The next morning we went to the spa. Most amazing, if you do not have a treatment, guests can still use the spa amenities; locker, robe, steam, jacuzzi, relaxation room, FOOD in the relaxation room (which was really good), sauna, fitness center. Most hotel spas either require you have a treatment scheduled of charge an additional fee for day use. It was a really really nice morning.

The concierge made us an awesome brunch reservation on the beach at the Beach House Restaurant in Solana Beach and she was very nice and efficient... made us a patio reservation, which was great, gave us a map and directions, all A++

Checkout was fantastic. The clerk was very personable, asked about our stay, told us happy anniversary (it was in our folio) and overall was very very pleasant... if he could only train the check in person!

The good things: they do not charge a "resort fee", internet access nor spa access, and pretty much everything else. A lot of little nook areas in the lobby, grounds, and even bar areas to have a nice intimate dinner or chat.
The only negative: It was like a hotel identity crisis! Service is at a A on the Hyatt scale, not the Four Seasons scale, yet they are still charging Four Seasons prices. If I had paid a Hyatt price (~$200) it would have been 5 stars no question. Valet is required and steep. An overall good stay. Will be interesting to stay again in a year or so and see the changes.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ElaineG29
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2010

What a wonderful hotel and experience. We visited San Diego for Spring Break this year and chose to stay at the Four Seasons. It made the trip spectacular. We hadn't stayed at the Four Seasons with our kids before and were amazed at how wonderfully child friendly everything was. From the gifts at check in, to the special personalized cookie plates, mini robes and slippers and kids menus at every restaurant - they thought of everything.

The room was beautiful and spacious for the four of us and the pool was heated and lovely. The food was great - a little overpriced, but we expected that. We were there for Easter and they put on a wonderful experience for the kids - the Easter Bunny, egg hunt, petting zoo and crafts - all free. We splurged for the Easter Brunch but wouldn't do it again - not worth the expense with young kids.

We loved the hotel and our stay. As we left early Monday morning in the dark, my kids said sadly - "can't we live here forever?" I wish!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

From the moment we drove up to the property we were presented with a friendly and helpful staff. They realized we had a child with us and acknowledged her during our entire stay. They offered her a toy at check -in and when we arrived to our room there were cookies and milk waiting for her. The best part was that they took the time and made it personal by adding her name to the plate. Our luggage was already in our room when we arrived along with the amenities we had previously requested.

The rooms were very spacious and had an amazing view. The bathroom was equipped with both a shower and a tub; a his and her sinks; and best of all the toilet was in its own separate room. The room did have a plasma tv but the decor was a little out dated. The beds were my favorite part. They were amazingly comfortable and the hotel even offered a variety of pillows to choose from.

The hotel offered many amenities like the spa, restaurants, and pools but the best one was the adult pool. It had an amazing view, a fully stocked bar and an exceptional staff. The prices for the food were high but for the quality and service it was well worth it.
The only thing I did not like about this hotel was its location. All the restaurants and shops were too far to walk to so we needed to drive everywhere and the beach was hard to get to.

Overall, this was an amazing experience and I cannot wait to go there again.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

I went during Spring Break with 2 kids (10 & 7) and my Mom. We chose this hotel as a hub for visiting SD Zoo and Legoland. The dessert welcome plate and kid sized robes and slippers were a nice touch. But where were the slippers for the adults? We looked forward to relaxing by the pool after a day of sightseeing and was met with a surprise. Went to the pool around 4 in the afternoon. There were no chairs available in sight. Towels on all of them even though only 50% were physically occupied. Another Mom took pity on me and gave me one of her chairs. Not once did the pool boy ever come around. No one asked if I wanted new towels or drinks. Where's the service? The pool was overrun with screaming and yelling children. In fact the entire property is overrun with screaming and yelling children. I saw kids running up in down the hallways, food being thrown at breakfast, yelling, etc. I have kids too and expect certain behavior in public. These parents simply didn't care or bother with discipline. It's a great place if your children behave the way I've described...you'll fit right in. As for us, never again.

Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank naya
ParkHyattAviara, General Manager at Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, responded to this review, 9 July 2010
Thank you for your review. We would like to note that this visit and review took place prior to our arrival on June 21, 2010. At the time of this review, the resort was managed by Four Seasons Hotels. On behalf of the entire team at the new Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, we look forward to welcoming you back to experience our Park Hyatt brand of hospitality.

Mark Stiebeling - General Manager
Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
Laguna Niguel
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2010

We had to ask for everything. The toys for kids when we arrived was not offered. Having stayed at a few Four Seasons in the past , we told our daughter they would greet her with a toy. I had to ask. Baby products were not with the crib, I had to ask and was told, we do not just give them to anybody with a baby. Slippers were not in the room, I had to ask. Swim Diapers were not available poolside, I had to ask and was told they were out of them, so I went to the gift shop to buy them and was told they were out. There are not any stores close, so I just had to deal with it. When we made reservations we were told the pool was heated to 84 degrees. It was not. I am guessing it was 76. My daughter would not go in for more than 5 minutes before getting a chill. The pool was the whole reason we came here.They are no pool towels out. You have to ask, if you can find a pool attendant. I only saw one taking care of 2 pools. There also was a black hairy sponge left in our bathtub.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family