“Budget accommodations - best for families”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Carlsbad
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 19 April 2014

I have stayed at a few places in Carlsbad. Anywhere you go in the Carlsbad area will be overrun with families going to Legoland. I come to Carlsbad because I like the beach.

Hotel is decent enough. I had a king bed, mini fridge, flat screen TV and pull out couch sitting area. The sink doesn't have a ton of counter space - so much wasted space underneath the sink that they should put in shelves. Shower was fine with decent pressure. The rooms aren't as dated as some of the other motels I have stayed in.

The plus is that pets stay free. They even have a small pet area at the end of the hotel closest to the highway but I just walked my dog along the grass lined streets. As many reviewers have stated - the breakfast room is under renovation and is quite small. Decent selection including cereals, waffles, muffins, some boiled eggs and oatmeal. Better food fare for kids with families - I stuck to the free coffee. The pool area is very small but my feeling is there is a beautiful beach close by so pools are less important.

This hotel has 3 floors with exterior halls so it can get noisy. There is no elevator so if you are on the 3rd floor you are dragging your luggage to the top. My biggest pet peeve is the slow as molasses wifi. Really? Uverse? Can it go any slower? This is as bad as dial-up. I hear you guys are up for an upgrade soon - can't be soon enough. Biggest things for me are free coffee, clean rooms and fast wifi - you guys fail on the last one. I didn't hear the highway noise because I have become quite adept with having white noise blasting through my iPhones - check it out - lifesaver when traveling!

I probably won't come here again, but if you are a budget family wanting to visit Legoland, this is the place to be. I think I'm going to Del Mar next!

Room Tip: choose a room on the ground floor away from highway.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank NotGrlNextDoor

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Recently stayed 14-17, my years in the dry and warm Vegas desert left me feeling chilly the evening we arrived to the hotel. So I turned on the heater and let it run for about an hour when I decided to turn it up before bed. When I lifted up the cover to adjust the temp the control had a small continuous spark, and was leaving a very small burnt spot. So I turned it off and called the front desk. There was no answer, so I waited and called back a few minutes later, with the same issue. I tried repeatedly for about an hour to call (I had been driving and was exhausted, so what?) and did not feel like getting up, getting dressed, and walking to the office. The next day I told the clerk at the front desk what the issue was and said I tried to call repeatedly the night before, he explained that there were issues with phones and calls were not coming through on their end. He then sent a maintenance guy to take care of the unit. Other than that, everything was pretty good, we were upgraded to a king suite which was pretty rad. The downside was that we could hear kids running around in the room above us when we were trying to sleep.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Motel-style rooms with outside access. Very noisy due to location next to highway. Breakfast lobby undergoing renovation so very crowded, however the service and food was good (enough). Rooms are getting a little worn out. Kids loved the pool and hot tub, but always ran out of towels in the evening. Two room suite, only one phone worked. The fold out bed mattress was about two inches thick. Good location for LegoLand. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. Indoor (hotel style) La Quintas are much quieter.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bradley C
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Great location. Just of Interstate, a mere 3 minute drive to beach, just down road from supermarket and dining options. 10 minutes to train going to SD or LA.

Property was clean and attractive. Rooms very clean and included mini fridge and microwave.

Only downsides were that breakfast room was under renovation and thus selection limited, and pool was quite small, but you can counter that with proximity to the beach! Also, even though San Diego is in title, it's a good 45 minutes north of the city.

Overall, it was a very nice experience. Easily recommend and would absolutely stay again.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank GGM5171
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Just loved the place. only 5 minutes walking from the beach in a very accessible position.
Big parking lot in front where I could park my car in front of my room. Staff was very firendly and helpfull. I had a room on the ground floor. Very nice and cozy, modern and comfortable.
I didn't expect to get such a good one!! this place definitely come with a great value for the money! Complementary breakfast in the morning, all that I needed.
Only downturn ...Wifi line was sooooo slow! Please La Quinta updagrade it and you will have no competition! ;-)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Nicola A
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We find this La Quinta somewhat worn by comparison to others we have visited. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel itself is tired. They try to upgrade it but it is still in need of more work.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 April 2014

La Quinta is only about 1 mi. from my daughter. For the last 6 years we have stayed here. It is a great hotel, and very close to everything. I highly recommend La Quinta. I would say we stay about 5 times a year, and we have not had one bad experience!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family