“Ok Business Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Cheveley, United Kingdom
“Ok Business Hotel”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Stayed here as part of a business trip to the area from the UK. The hotel was fine but nothing special. Breakfast was an additional charge and had to be ordered from the downstairs cafe area. This said the choice was good and they bought it to you so it made a change from the typical buffet options that most hotels have.

Overall, it wouldnt be my first choice and it was more expesive and nowhere near as good as the hotel I moved to for a weekend stay in the same area (see my other reviews).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AndyY_UK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New Buffalo, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed here while training. Everyone was super helpful and accommodating! We all fell in love with the staff and would suggest for tethers to stay here as well. The shuttle to almost anywhere you want to go is great for a break or adventure. Many places to go in such a short vicinity with the shuttle

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Lauren R
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Courtyard by Marriott is redesigning the lobby in many of their properties to have the "bistro" dining area. I for one like the change and this one is no different. As much as I like the bistro area the guest rooms are getting to be ho-hum for me. I did like the location of my room (pool view) and everything was clean and in working order. The one negative was that my room had a balcony but no chair outside to enjoy it. I noticed only a couple of the rooms with balconies had outdoor chairs. This is puzzling to me. I would have enjoyed sitting outside and enjoying the great weather. Only other negative is the lack of dining options in the immediate area. Staff was good and room was fine.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mike C
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two night for a trip to legoland with my husband and son. The lobby was nice and clean but once we checked in our room it was less than what I expected for a courtyard Marriott. My main issues were we reserved a king room with a sofa bed and the sofa bed was disgusting! It was old,dirty, beyond worn out, and had large holes. When I contacted the front desk the response was that I could not expect much because it was a sofa bed. I understand it is not a bed but the condition was unacceptable ,however They did replace the mattress.

The last night of our stayed I got up around 5am to go to the bathroom and when I turned the light on a roach ran across the bathroom sink. I called the front desk and was told the manager would call me when she was in. When I woke up for the morning, I went to the restroom again and turned on the light and a roach ran across again. I called the front desk again and spoke with the manager roxanne. Her response was they never had the problem before and the would have to verify the rodents to offer any accomadations of do anything about it. How do you verify roaches as if my word was not eno-
ugh. After asking if I needed to escalate the issues she offered me 10% off my stay. I felt insulted as she was indicated I was lying or brought the roaches with me. Instead of an apology and some kind of accomodation, she just tried to defend they have never had the issues instead of acknowledging it was a problem now. I would not recommend this hotel if you care about cleanliness and rodent issues.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank micheldouglas
CarlsbadCYGM, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear Mrs. Douglas,

You are a valued guest of the Courtyard by Marriott - Carlsbad and I appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations and service.

I assure you that what you experienced was isolated and not typical of the Carlsbad Courtyard. I apologize for the inconvenience and annoyance these incidents caused.

I truly appreciate you bringing each incident to my attention. If you had not, I would have missed this opportunity to address the situation. I am pleased that you and I had another opportunity to address your concerns over the phone on Wednesday July 25th. Thank you for speaking with me and thank you for allowing me to ensure that you were satisfied with the final resolution.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove that we can provide you with the service that Marriott is known for. We look forward to accommodating you again in the near future.

Best regards,

Roxanne Marlow
Irvine, California
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel while we attended a wedding in the area, and I was a bit disappointed with the hotel's cleanliness and upkeep. It seemed that most of the other guests were families visiting Legoland, which made the hallways noisy early in the morning. When we checked in, parking was difficult to find. However, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the lobby had clearly been renovated. All the common areas seemed well-maintained, clean, and stylish, so it was disappointing when we opened the door to the room. Our room was not completely clean, and the bed linens and curtains seemed outdated. The bathroom was extremely outdated, and wasn't up to the standards we were expecting from our visits to hotels of comparable costs in Los Angeles and San Diego. Breakfast at the restaurant was a nice feature, and was included in our room rate.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor, and it was extremely loud in the morning.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate T
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Just came back from a 3 day trip at this hotel, have been there in the past and liked it--not so much anymore. They charge extra for everything. Waited over 30 minutes for the free coffee--guess they thought we would get fed up and order at their Starbucks-not. The rooms and hallways are starting to look dated with stains on carpet. Got home and checked my credit card statement and see they charged me $3.00 for a bottle of water which we never had--yes--it was in the room so I'm guessing the charge was for babysitting it. If they charge everyone $3 more that their bill, then they will be raking in some big bucks. So I say, check your credit card statements with this hotel. I called and got it reversed but am ticked that they thought it was OK to do that. We brought our own water in everyday for a whole lot less. What a scam and to pull it on a Marriott Rewards member--pretty low. Nope won't go back. Lots of other places in the area for the same price. On the positive side--soft pillows--yep--that's it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank debt1206
Reno, NV
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This was our second time at this hotel and probably our last without a major remodel.

First, they have done the most recent renovation of the lobby and it is quite nice. The Courtyard brand 'Bistro' and lounge type areas are very nice and there are computers and internet access everywhere. The food at the made to order breakfast is also quite good. The staff was well attentive and did a fantastic job.

The rooms . . ???? Well, maybe because I used a Marriott vouchers the year before I got a better room last time. This time however, the room was worn, with peeling wall paper, water stains and gray (definitely not white) sheets. This will be the main reason we will not be back at this location. I hate negative reviews and do not usually write them, however for well over $150 in this location for this run down of a room . . it deserves it.

This really is a great location for Legoland and the Carlsbad area and the staff is great. But there are several other choices close by that have to have better rooms than what this place is working with now.

Room Tip: They do offer a shuttle to LegoLand
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family