“Just what I needed”

Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Encinitas, California
“Just what I needed”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed here because I needed a break from my stressful life. It was comfortable, quiet, and perfect for what I needed. The customer service was excellent. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating, especially in the cafe. I would absolutely recommend my friends and family stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Heather N,

Thank you for the great review. It is great to hear that you were able to find a place to get away for a short time and relax with us! I am thrilled to hear that the service was excellent and accommodating. This is the level we expect of ourselves and it is great to hear that we delivered that for you. Thank you for specifically recognizing our Bistro staff. I will definitely share your comments with them.

Thank you for the recommendations to your family and friends. We value those referrals and look forward to serving them (and you) in the future.

Trent Selbrede

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I recently stayed here two nights on business. The hotel's attempt to be a boutique hotel simply did not work. The hotel room was laid out strangely. This is ilterally the first hotel room I have ever been in in which the foot of the bed faces the balcony. This meant that the TV was on the left of the bed, at an angle which made viewing difficult. Someone had attempted to angle the TV so that you could watch it, but it was just a bad setup and the room poorly laid out. The bathroom was large and had a separate sink area, however the bright red wallpaper in the bathroom was a bit much. The hot/cold control in my shower only went so far, meaning I had a lukewarm shower both days - not a good way to start off the day. The Bistro in the hotel serves meals throughout the day. I attempted to order breakfast one day, and after ordering toast and fruit, had to wait 15 minutes for the food. My colleagues were lined up halfway through the lobby waiting to order. The system in place did not seem efficient. We had a large group from my company staying here, and all agreed that we would not want to stay at this hotel again. There are other nearby hotels which offer a more comfortable stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
BCTE4,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide candid comments about your stay. We continually evolve your guest room designs to meet the changing needs of our travelers. We will definitely share your comments with our design team for future consideration. Our Bistro offers great, fresh options and is generally very efficient. That said, there are peak demand times like any food service operation and we should be able to adapt to that. I have shared your comments with our Bistro manager and our entire team to ensure we are doing all that we can to serve you well.

I have sent you a message as well as I would appreciate more information about your stay so I can specifically address the dates in question. We would love the opportunity to show you our signature Marriott service in the future.

San Francisco
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I travel regularly to Carlsbad on business and have tried several hotels in this price category in the area. This Courtyard now is my first choice. It has been consistently reliable in comfort and convenience. The rooms are quiet. The staff has been exceptional. I recommend this Courtyard without hesitation.

2 Thank pyrenees1
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
pyrenees1,

Thank you for the great review. We are so pleased that we are your first choice when travelling to Carlsbad on business. It is really great that we were able to earn your business after trying different hotels in the area. We aim to provide that consistent comfort, convenience, and quiet but most of all, we are pleased that the staff has been exceptional. They truly are our difference makers. Thank you for recommending our Courtyard.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

seattle
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Although it was nice looking, the room was very small and the TV was situated inconveniently if you wanted to watch from the bed. The small sofa was not comfortable.... And, this hotel is waging chemical warfare on their guests. Each night when we came back we were greeted by a strong chemical smell in our room. It was only slightly better after we asked them to stop cleaning our room at all! My eyes were blood shot after a few minutes. We never want to experience anything like this again. We moved to another hotel and had more room and no chemical burn.

Room Tip: Avoid this place, but if you must stay here, at least stay on the 1st floor where some of the smell...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SeattleSuperS
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
SeattleSuperS,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your stay. I am concerned that we did not meet your expectations. While we do use an air freshener in daily cleaning, the goal is to provide a fresh scent and not overpowering. We have shared your review with our staff and reviewed procedures to insure top quality rooms to Marriott standards.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further and gather more information such as dates of stay and room number. Please message me through TripAdvisor or call me at the number below. Thank you.

Safe travels,

760-331-0111 (direct)
Saugus, California
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I am a loyal Marriott customer and have attained Platinum Elite Plus status. I have been travelling for over 30 years and have always stayed at a Marriott property. I stayed at this property last week. I encountered some issues and alerted Jeff (asst G.M.) the same day but got no response. I called again two days later still no response. I then decided to call and ask for Trent the G. M. the next day....no response. Called again twice this week and you guessed it..no returned calls.
This behavior is so unlike Marriott and the brand that I have enjoyed all these years. I am very disappointed with the lead managment team and will steer my business elsewhere when I am travelling for business or pleasure in the Carlsbad area.
Too bad.
Allen

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Allen M
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Allen M,

Thank you for providing feedback. I apologize for the breakdown that caused us to not receive your messages. I understand that Geoff connected with you yesterday and the issues have been addressed.

We realize that you are a loyal guest and value that loyalty. From many previous reviews, hopefully you can see that we normally not only meet expectations but often exceed them. I generally respond to all guests within a few hours. Even 24 hours is unusual so this is certainly embarrassing.

I trust that Geoff has taken great care of you but please feel free to call me any time if I can be of further assistance.

760-331-0111 (direct)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was a good hotel. Very clean. Good room. Seems as if it's been recently remodeled. The staff were all VERY friendly, and definitely geared towards customer service. Seems a little pricey for a hotel so far from San Diego, but I guess that's due to their being so near to LEGO Land. However, for my stay it was certainly worth the money, and the food is comparable to what one might get at any of the local chain restaurants.

Again, GREAT staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
bainst,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that you found our newly remodeled hotel clean and comfortable. Pricing is based on many factors including being close to Legoland and other attractions in Carlsbad but I am pleased that you still found our value to be 4 of 5 stars and worth the money spent.

Most of all, thank you for recognizing our service. We are indeed geared toward service and pride ourselves in execution of that goal. We will definitely share your comments with the staff.

Our great staff looks forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm regards,

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Our corporate office moved to Carlsbad and thought I'd try the Courtyard in Carlsbad. I am glad I did. The staff is organized, friendly and always asks if you need anything, including recommendations for restaurants and directions if needed. The rooms are what you expect at a Courtyard, clean and tidy. The team in the Bistro are always there, prompt and get your food out quickly and all of the meals have been very good.

Matt D,

Thank you for the great review. We are pleased that your office move led you to try us and that we exceeded your expectations. Our Bistro does indeed have some tasty and quick options and we appreciate you pointing that out to other travelers.

Thank you for choosing us and our friendly staff will be here to welcome you when you return next time.

Trent Selbrede

P.S. Sorry for the delayed response. I generally try to reply within 24 hours.