“Gem. Close to everything yet tucked away.”

Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Calgary, Canada
“Gem. Close to everything yet tucked away.”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This is a great place to stay. Three floors with an elevator, outdoor pool, tennis court, 24 hour fitness center, business center and the lobby Bistro for breakfast and dinner. Eat in or take to your room. Serving Starbucks brewed and specialty coffees. Decent selection of wine and beer. Staff were friendly. One note for improvement... Front desk on check-in advised that we park in the back and use the back door. Did not mention the eight steps up to the back door, no luggage cart and no ramp. Bring your luggage in the front lobby and then park in the back. Hotel is 5 min or less to Legoland, Outlet mall, Costco, Flower fields, etc...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
AB_Travel,

Thank you for the great review! As a top contributor with 66 reviews, we can tell that you have an eye for detail. We are pleased that you found our central location, close to Legoland, the Carlsbad Outlets, Flower Fields, and the all important Costco (I love that store!).

It is great that you found the hotel in great shape and that our amenities like 24 hour fitness center and Bistro helped you during your stay. It is also great that you found our staff friendly. They are our greatest assets and we will definitely share your comments with them. Thank you for the reminder about the room location and preferred entrance. It can be easy to take our property knowledge for granted and forget that you may not have been here before. This is a great reminder for us!

We hope to see you again soon.

Trent Selbrede

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 February 2014

During my stay at the Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad I had to work 17 hour days. That's tough, so you need good support from the staff to keep you comfortable and help you keep going. The Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad just excelled at this. From the platinum guest greeting I got when I walked in the door to the breakfast that was delivered in the blink of an eye as I was rushing off to my morning appointment, I couldn't ask for better care. I also took advantage of the laundry services. This is something I hadn't done in a hotel before in my many years of travel. The clothes were ready the same day and hanging in my closet when I got back to my room!

I must say though, the highlight of the stay was Tuesday Evening Yoga! I saw the sign when I checked in and thought that some yoga would be just the ticket to keep me energized for a late night of work. Ellen, one of the senior staff members of the hotel, had arranged for a yoga instructor to provide free yoga for the guests. Brilliant!!! My wife is a Certified Yoga Teacher with a 500 hour certification, and I can tell you, this was a wonderful, and beautifully executed class. It was also great to have Ellen's company during the class as a participant and to take advantage of her knowledge of the hotel and the area.

When I go to San Diego, this is my new spot! See you again soon!

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a bad room. I stayed on the ground floor on the side to the right of the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
geekpapa,

Wow...Thank you for the awesome review!!! As a loyal Marriott Rewards Platinum Guest, we know that life on the road that much with long days can be tough. We are always looking for ways to enhance your stay while on the road. Our Bistro is intended to get you moving to those important appointments quickly. I am glad that we more than met those expectations. It is great that the same day laundry helped alleviate another road stress.

Thank you for the feedback about our first yoga class. We are very fortunate to have had an experienced person such as yourself as our guest. With your wife's experience, it is great to know that we are on the right track. We plan on keeping it going and see how our guests respond.

Thank you for mentioning Ellen. She initiated the yoga conversation and set everything up. She is truly an asset to our hotel and our guests. Even prior to your review here, she told me how she was so excited to have you as our guest and what a great conversation you had.

Thank you for the feedback on TripAdvisor. We value your loyalty and feedback and are thrilled to be your new spot in Carlsbad!

Safe Travels,

Akron, New York
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Our stay at the Courtyard was great. Clean and convenient for us while we visited relatives. No noise associated with the airport being so close. Ample parking and easy access to the building and rooms.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Jack37759,

Thank you for your review. As a senior reviewer, we know that you have an eye for detail and appreciate your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that your stay was great. We are indeed right outside the small Palomar Airport but we are not in the flight path nor near the noise. We are pleased that you found the layout and ample free parking met your needs.

We will look forward to seeing you again when visiting your relatives.

Safe travels,

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I just have to report that I stay at this hotel for work 2 weeks each month and the house keeping staff has been great. I am a messy person and each day I leave to go to the office and I come back to a perfect room. Bed - clean sheets when requested, Bathroom spotless, amenities all in order and clean - straight - correct. Tables and desk and coffee table are wiped clean and set in order. This all makes my week long trips a pleasure when I stop working and relax in my room.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side are the best and ask for one with a balcony on either the second or third fl...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Geoff W, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
DW B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We love our business travelers and pride ourselves on being your home away from home.

I will make sure to share your comments about how great our housekeepers are with the staff. Our rooms are specifically designed for you to be able to get work done when you need to, and set it aside and relax when you can. I am glad that you feel the same way.

Having a true road warrior like yourself saty with us half of every month is truly a testament to our great product.

Geoff Waddell
Assistant General Manager
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This Courtyard by Marriott has clean rooms and the most beautiful lobby I've ever seen at a Courtyard. Very comfortable and colorful. Corey at the front desk is very helpful. I'd highly recommend this place. Beautifully appointed and managed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Geoff W, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Michael C,

I am thrilled to hear that the Courtyard Carlsbad is the best Courtyard you've ever stayed at! That is a wonderful compliment. I too love our lobby which we recently renovated. It is a great place to relax and read or watch television. It's nice to hear that Corey stood out. We have a great staff here, which is a huge part of what makes us a wonderful hotel.

We look forward to having you with us next time you come to Carlsbad.
Beaumont, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Had a good time with family and friends and the manager at this place made the trip all worth it never met another manager at a hotel that went above and beyond to make sure I was happy A+++++ for him! I would stay here again just because of Trent the manager :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sanglin
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
sanglin,

Thank you fore the great review. It is great to hear feedback from guests, and especially from TripAdvisor Senior Contributors such as yourself. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and excited that you would stay here again. Thank you for the compliment of me but it is just my passion for serving people that you witnessed.

I wish you safe and great travel experiences in the future.

Warm Regards,

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Great place to stay in San Diego's North County. Easy access to all locations. Tucked away a little but the hotel is quiet, clean and the staff is excellent. They really do a good job to make your stay a pleasant and enjoyable one. Free shuttle to LEGOLAND doesn't hurt either.

Room Tip: South facing rooms have great sun exposure with outdoor balcony to enjoy coffee!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Tnoel2014
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Tnoel2014,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us near LegoLand. Indeed our tucked away location isn't right in the middle of everything but that makes for some quiet enjoyment. Thank you for mentioning our staff. We know that hotels are similar these days. What sets us apart is our people and we appreciate the recognition.

We hope to see you on your next trip to LegoLand and our famous Carlsbad beaches!

Safe Travels,