Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Minneapolis, MN
“Good stay”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The lobby is the new Courtyard format the rooms are yet to be updated. Nice location off the road and very near the airport. Room was fine. Nice that the HVAC fan could be made to stay ON for white noise. The pillows were much too thick for my taste and the bed could use a refresh.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
lucycan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As a top contributor with so many reviews, we value your feedback. We did indeed renovate our lobby about 2 years ago and we completed a minor update on the rooms a year ago. I also tend to use the AC fan for white noise, that is a great feature that not everyone is aware of! If you return to stay with us again, please let us know your pillow preferences and we will be certain to find you the right fit.

Thank you for mentioning our convenient location. It is close to so much but quiet and tucked away.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Trent Selbrede

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I went down to Carlsbad to visit friends for a weekend get away and was blown away by the great service I received at this hotel. Everybody was great. From the girl at the front desk that checked me in to the housekeepers I passes in the hallway. Really friendly staff. The hotel is a little ways away from the downtown Carlsbad area, but that was fine since all I saw in the downtown area was a motel 6.

They were showing a movie on a projection screen in the lobby when I checked in. I've never seen that at a hotel before and thought that was pretty cool. They even had a popcorn machine going and were giving away bags of popcorn.

I definitely know where I'm staying on my next trip to Carlsbad.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
RJThompsonSF,

Thank you for choosing us when visiting your friends in Carlsbad. We are indeed a little bit outside downtown but it also helps us maintain a quiet peaceful environment. Our Friday night movie nights are great for families and the popcorn is a MUST!

Most of all, thank you for the comments about our super friendly staff. They are the difference makers and it sounds like they made a great impression on you during your stay. We will definitely share your comments with them!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warmly

Winter Haven, Florida
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Great property. Great people. Great location. Great Cafe.

One of the nicest Marriott Properties we have ever stayed at. Friendly people tjhat went out of their way to accomadate us. Starbucks on site is a great "perk." Beatiful lobby and "living room." Outdoor patio and pool area very clean and gorgeous. All I can say is AWESOME. Definitley will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Laurie A,

Thank you for writing such a nice a review! Marriott's are full of quality and great people so it is certainly an honor to be mentioned among the best of those! Our friendly staff is certainly our greatest asset. It is so nice to hear that you were able to enjoy our facilities such as our pool and patio space with a Fresh cup of Starbucks.

Thanks again for staying with us. It is AWESOME that you enjoyed it and will return!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights during a trip to So. Cal. My dad stays here regularly for business trips. The staff was very friendly. The rooms are new and clean -- feel very fresh -- very high ceilings. The location is good -- it's tucked away, so it's quiet and is a short drive (5-10 minutes) to Legoland, the beach, and lots of restaurants. The restaurant was pretty pricey, especially for the quality of food and breakfast is not included with your stay. However, the pool and hot tub are nice, the grounds are clean and safe, and they were showing kids' movies on a large screen in the lobby -- lots of fun for the kids. Overall, the hotel is a great place to stay. The only thing to improve is the restaurant and possibly a continental breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Prudent_Travelers
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
UT_Prudent_Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! It is awesome that your dad stays with us regularly here and that you found the hotel to be in top notch shape! It is always fun for us to meet our regular visitors families. Our location is indeed tucked away and quiet but still close to everything including the beach, LegoLand, and restaurants galore! Thank you for the feedback on the Bistro. Courtyards offerings are similar to a Starbucks or Panera Bread. These items are generally much better than one might see on a free buffet but since you were travelling with family, I certainly understand your preferences. On many weekends, we often offer slightly higher rates that include breakfast. Please keep an eye out for those great rates on your next visit!

Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

This is a very nice place to stay, tucked away from noise etc,. Crawford at the front desk is amazing. He has always helped to accommodate any special needs we may have. Very friendly staff and housekeeping is great! They offer breakfast and dinner with a Starbucks on site. Great place to chill. Will recommend to friends and family.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank auntieogre
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
auntieogre,

Thank you for the great review! We are pleased that you find our tucked away, quiet location perfect for your needs. Our Bistro is indeed a great place to chill and enjoy a cup of Starbucks or almost any other favorite beverage. Most of all, we appreciate the recognition of our housekeeping department and Crawford. We don't work in hospitality, we LIVE it! I am glad that you are able to see that in staying with us.

Thank you for the recommendations to family and friends. That means a lot!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This is a great place to stay. Three floors with an elevator, outdoor pool, tennis court, 24 hour fitness center, business center and the lobby Bistro for breakfast and dinner. Eat in or take to your room. Serving Starbucks brewed and specialty coffees. Decent selection of wine and beer. Staff were friendly. One note for improvement... Front desk on check-in advised that we park in the back and use the back door. Did not mention the eight steps up to the back door, no luggage cart and no ramp. Bring your luggage in the front lobby and then park in the back. Hotel is 5 min or less to Legoland, Outlet mall, Costco, Flower fields, etc...

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
AB_Travel,

Thank you for the great review! As a top contributor with 66 reviews, we can tell that you have an eye for detail. We are pleased that you found our central location, close to Legoland, the Carlsbad Outlets, Flower Fields, and the all important Costco (I love that store!).

It is great that you found the hotel in great shape and that our amenities like 24 hour fitness center and Bistro helped you during your stay. It is also great that you found our staff friendly. They are our greatest assets and we will definitely share your comments with them. Thank you for the reminder about the room location and preferred entrance. It can be easy to take our property knowledge for granted and forget that you may not have been here before. This is a great reminder for us!

We hope to see you again soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 February 2014

During my stay at the Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad I had to work 17 hour days. That's tough, so you need good support from the staff to keep you comfortable and help you keep going. The Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad just excelled at this. From the platinum guest greeting I got when I walked in the door to the breakfast that was delivered in the blink of an eye as I was rushing off to my morning appointment, I couldn't ask for better care. I also took advantage of the laundry services. This is something I hadn't done in a hotel before in my many years of travel. The clothes were ready the same day and hanging in my closet when I got back to my room!

I must say though, the highlight of the stay was Tuesday Evening Yoga! I saw the sign when I checked in and thought that some yoga would be just the ticket to keep me energized for a late night of work. Ellen, one of the senior staff members of the hotel, had arranged for a yoga instructor to provide free yoga for the guests. Brilliant!!! My wife is a Certified Yoga Teacher with a 500 hour certification, and I can tell you, this was a wonderful, and beautifully executed class. It was also great to have Ellen's company during the class as a participant and to take advantage of her knowledge of the hotel and the area.

When I go to San Diego, this is my new spot! See you again soon!

Room Tip: I'm not sure there is a bad room. I stayed on the ground floor on the side to the right of the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
geekpapa,

Wow...Thank you for the awesome review!!! As a loyal Marriott Rewards Platinum Guest, we know that life on the road that much with long days can be tough. We are always looking for ways to enhance your stay while on the road. Our Bistro is intended to get you moving to those important appointments quickly. I am glad that we more than met those expectations. It is great that the same day laundry helped alleviate another road stress.

Thank you for the feedback about our first yoga class. We are very fortunate to have had an experienced person such as yourself as our guest. With your wife's experience, it is great to know that we are on the right track. We plan on keeping it going and see how our guests respond.

Thank you for mentioning Ellen. She initiated the yoga conversation and set everything up. She is truly an asset to our hotel and our guests. Even prior to your review here, she told me how she was so excited to have you as our guest and what a great conversation you had.

Thank you for the feedback on TripAdvisor. We value your loyalty and feedback and are thrilled to be your new spot in Carlsbad!