“Pleasant Surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Cedar Rapids, IA
“Pleasant Surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I frequently travel for business and will typically stay at a Marriott property. Courtyards by Marriott are not typically in my top 3 within the Marriott organization (for a variety of reasons). This one caught me by surprise, though. The property was in very good shape, the employees were knowledgeable and polite and the rooms were clean. This has the be, by far, the best Courtyard I've ever stayed at. Reasonable prices, too!

Room Tip: Park near the closest exit to your room (there are several, all motel key operated).
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Craig S
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
As a senior contributor I can tell you have a unique eye for detail. I am pleased you found our Courtyard in Carlsbad to be a pleasant surprise. Our team prides ourselves in providing exceptional customer service and we appreciate your recognition as the best by far. If you are planning to visit SeaWorld or Legoland our property is a convenient location for both and many other fine Southern California attractions. We look forward to your next stay in Carlsbad!

Thanks again!

Trent Selbrede

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Saint Joseph, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad. The hotel smells new and clean and the front desk staff are exceptionally nice and friendly. Very close to Legoland, if that is your thing, but pretty close to most things in North San Diego County, including the beach, shopping, restaurants and sightseeing. The rooms are nicely appointed; perhaps the only negative would be there is just on small countertop and sink, so if there is more than one person it's a pretty small area. The outdoor pool is nice and we saw plenty of people using the fitness equipment.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank laurenjo
Geoff W, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear laurenjo,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I too enjoy the modern look of the Courtyard properties. As you mentioned we are close to Legoland, but Carlsbad has much more to offer than Legoland. i love to hear our guests compliment our staff, you guys are the reason we're here and we pride ourselves on our hospitality.

We hope the next time you are visiting Carlsbad you will come back and stay with us again.

Cheers,

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

I hadn't stayed at a courtyard before, but had assumed it to be a 3* lower end hotel. This was was very recently renovated, really nice, people were nice, rooms were nice and clean and relatively large, and price was good - great deal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank kcharlotte
Dear kcharlotte,

I am glad you were pleasantly surprised. I really like the Courtyard brand too. Marriott tries to have a brand for every traveler, and it sounds like you may have found yours. As a senior reviewer I'm sure you have an eye for detail, and you are correct we were recently renovated.

Next time you're heading down from LA please come visit us again.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

The people here were amazingly helpful at helping us get ajoining rooms with the type of beds we wanted. The beds were better than my one at home! We love that there was a starbucks there as we would have had to drive a ways to get one. The housekeepers were flexible and were very nice. We liked the location as we didn't want to be too close to all the chaios of the downtown. The taxi service was great! We had a great time!

Room Tip: We loved being on the first floor to enjoy the landscaping (there were actual bananas growing right...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank kklecker51
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
kklecker51,

Thank you for the great review! We are just a few miles from the beach, LegoLand, and downtown Carlsbad. We aren't in the chaos of downtown or right next to the beach but that leads to some nice quiet time and free parking! We are so happy that the hotel met your needs, especially with some good sleep and convenient Starbucks in the lobby.

Thank you for recognizing our front desk and housekeeping staff for being accommodating. We live hospitality and our staff loves to hear feedback from our guests.

We hope to see you again soon. Safe travels!

Southern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I'm a busy entrepreneur mom who's not really great at planning "fun" stuff. The most that I did this year for "fun" was to book a laser tag party (1-2 weeks after son's birthday) and taking my son to Carlsbad, CA so my son could hang out for 2 days at Legoland. Since Legoland Hotel is absurdly priced, I looked at the local hotels for reasonably priced yet decent places to stay for 2 nights. I love Marriott that I chose Courtyard which is a Marriott-branded hotel.

One day before our arrival date, I realized that I haven't planned anything special for my son's 10th birthday (arrival date at hotel). His party was going to be done on a different date, so I felt that he still deserved something special for his actual birthday especially since it's his 10th.

The day before arrival date (around 2 pm), I called the hotel to just throw in an unusual request but already anticipating a "no" response. I asked them if they could somewhat decorate the room -- nothing too fancy, just a couple of balloons and crepe paper. The lady who took my call (Nichole) put me on hold and checked with Housekeeping. After what felt like less than a minute, she picked up the phone and enthusiastically told me that they'd be happy to help.

When we came in, I was fortunate enough to bump into the General Manager. He welcomed me to the hotel, provided expeditious check-in process, and remembered to greet my son.

When we got to our room, we found the room decorated with balloons (tons of, not just the couple that I was expecting), a happy birthday banner, and a complimentary delicious cake (good for 2 nights worth of snacking for 3 people). My son was blown away after seeing our room decorated for his birthday. My son was beyond thrilled! He even asked his dad to take photos!

We travel a lot (inside and outside the USA) and visit Legoland in Carlsbad, CA often (we've been a member of Legoland for the past 4-5 years and go 10 or more times per year, always staying overnight). We usually stay at another Marriott-branded hotel, but this was our first for Courtyard.

With the hotel's cleanliness, amenities, and the exemplary service they've shown us, we're definitely coming back to this hotel.

I am extremely grateful for the staff's efforts to make my son's birthday extra special. My most sincerest thanks to the General Manager, Nichole (Guest Services), Lucia (Housekeeping), and the rest of team who contributed to this.

Mary --- aka Calvin's Mom

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank marycheryl
Ever A, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear Calvin's Mom --- aka Mary,

What a pleasure it was for us to host your family. When we learned of an opportunity to do something special for one of our guests, our entire team jumped at the chance to pitch in! Our team truly enjoys creating an experience worthy of memories, and I'm sure that Calvin will remember this one for years to come.

I am pleased that you were able to meet our General Manager, as well as some of our valued staff. Trully, our staff is our most valued asset to our property. We look forward to continuing to being your top Marriott choice when visiting Legoland.

Thank you again for the kind words, they trully encourage us to continue to provide an exemplary service to all our guests.
Gilroy, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

First night started off not so great! We arrived on a Friday almost midnight. The room we were supposed to get was for 4 (two adults, two small children) and have a pull out bed. There was not pullout. My 6 & 8 year old were so tired and I was pretty disappointed to have to relocate the whole family.

We finally moved down the hall by the elevator. Walls are thin and we heard almost everyone getting off the elevator. By this time, we were just too tired to move.

On the positive, we enjoyed the shuttle service to Legoland. This should be advertised! We didn't find out until the 2nd day. Dinning area and service has potential but is not to scale. The poor folks behind the food counter were hustling as fast as they could. They need a raise! For what they had to work with, they did awesome busing, serving, preparing and taking orders. There were two on staff and they were pleasant and accommodating in spite of all they had to deal with.

I called down for towels since there were 3 and we had 4 in our party. Also for an extra blanket for my daughter who's always cold. Didn't get them so I went down the next day on the way out to ask again. They were pleasant at the front desk and made sure I got them this time.

I did like the extra pillows and the cookies are always a treat! All in all, it was an average stay. Was expecting better since I've had my share of hotels and Courtyard stays at that, in my corporate life.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Nadine L,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about your stay. I was pleased to hear we had a couple of hits but disappointed that we had a couple of misses as well. We expect to deliver that Courtyard experience every time as well and I am sorry that we didn't execute on that plan during your stay. We will definitely use your feedback to address our Bistro staffing and housekeeping requests.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the LegoLand shuttle and evening cookies. I realize that we didn't meet all of your expectations during this trip but we really do value your feedback and will take corrective action. Please let me know next time LegoLand brings you to the area. We would love to host you again and show you the Courtyard quality that you expect.

Safe travels,

Roseville,CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Not a bad thing to say about the room, staff , food, gym,pool, it's all exactly what you'd expect from a Courtyard. It's near the Carlsbad airport with not too much around it so don't expect to walk to dinner. Overall if you have a car and don't mine driving just a few miles to get to the beaches, food, legoland, it's a great place to stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Geoff W, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 6 April 2014
Dear Tim C,

It's always nice to receive praise from a senior contributor and road warrior such as your self. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed our spacious rooms, and were able to make use of our heated pool and gym. I'm a big fan of the courtyard Bistro concept and appreciate not having to go out for dinner when traveling on business.

While we are tucked away a bit, as you mentioned we are very close to beaches, Legoland, and shopping if you have a vehicle.

Also we have started offering a Yoga class free to our guests on Tuesday evenings as a good way for our business travelers to unwind without leaving the property.

Thank you from myself and the rest of the staff at the Courtyard Carlsbad!

Safe travels,