“Great place to stay...unless you need to get some sleep.”

Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
San Diego, California
“Great place to stay...unless you need to get some sleep.”
Reviewed 25 January 2011

This is the second year in a row we have stayed at this hotel, both times to run the Carlsbad 1/2 marathon the next morning. The rooms are very nice and clean. The people at the front desk are wonderful. Here is our only BIG complaint and the only reason I gave this 2 stars instead of 4 (they would have had a chance at 5 stars had they had some HEALTHY breakfast options available before the race- or shuttle service to the race as some hotels in the area do). We needed to get our sleep as we had a 5am wake up call. But that would not happen b/c the people next door either had their TV blaring or the walls are too thin- and they were talking OVER the TV. So after 2 or 3 calls to the front desk, as it is now after midnight by our last call, nothing changed. Well, they did finally turn off the TV but continued to talk...and talk...loudly. We were exhausted for our race and the entire next day and the hotel was totally ineffective at getting these people to be quiet. And they never offered to reduce our rate or in any way make the situation better...and we are Marriott Rewards members. We cannot recommend this hotel this year.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LizzieSoCal
CarlsbadCYGM, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad/McClellan-Palomar Airport, responded to this review, 28 January 2011
You are a valued guest of the Courtyard by Marriott - Carlsbad and I appreciate hearing from our guests, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations and service. I am truly sorry to learn that your stay with us was less than perfect. Thank you for sharing your experience especially as it related to the noise, breakfast options, and shuttle availability.

I will share your comments with our staff to help improve our service levels in the affected areas for you and future guests. Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.

Please let me know if I can personally assist you with any future accommodations or if you wish to discuss your experience further.

Best regards,

Roxanne Marlow – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 6 January 2011

We've stayed at this hotel 2-3 times now when in town to visit my in-laws, and it is great. It's close to LegoLand, the freeway and the little Carlsbad airport. This last time was over Christmas, and availability and prices were surprisingly good. We think most people use this as either a business hotel or Legoland port, so Christmas was slow for the property. The staff was warm and friendly. A solid, reliable breakfast spread, clean room with kitchenette, on-time friendly room service. The Courtyard line is very much a value service that over-delivers in our opinion.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
San Jose, California
Reviewed 3 January 2011

The front desk staff Mr. Archie went extra miles to find us two connecting rooms. He did not even charge us extra since one of the room has Jacuzzi. It turned out the motor of the Jacuzzi did not work, but it did not matter since having the connecting rooms was what we need so kids could roam between rooms. The Jacuzzi and swimming pool were very accessible to us anyway. My daughter still remembered Hyatt's pool as being the coldest pool in the world (her world anyway), and was hesitant to get in the pool. After she finally jumped in, she was so happy with the water temperature and we had a hard time getting her out.
I got the AAA deal for under $80 per room plus free breakfast. I was totally surprised when I saw the breakfast. This is definitely way better than the free continental breakfast that I have seen anywhere else. Besides the regular cereal, yogurt, toast, they also had fresh fruit, waffle, hot food (sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs) and made to order omelettes.
There were issues such as the next door neighbors partied until 2AM, but I am not sure what a hotel can do about it. We stayed close to an entrance, and the late arrivals sometimes slammde the door.
All in all, I feel I have got my money worth. If I am able to get the same deal again, I will no doubt stay in this place again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jiangchu
San Leandro, CA
Reviewed 23 November 2010

We definitely would stay here again. We have stayed at the Sheraton Carlsbad (the one with the private entrance to Legoland) and we have stayed here. I would definitely stay here again for the money. The shuttle from the hotel took us to Legoland and picked us up- only a 5 minute wait going and the shuttle was waiting for us to take us back (after we called the hotel). The hotel was clean and a good value. The front desk clerk actually asked me my preference of rooms when I checked in..imagine that. Our 4 year old was asleep by the time we pulled up to check in so the front desk clerk was very accomodating (making sure we had a room close to parking access to get our son in the room comfortably without waking him). All the staff were very knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. It was a great stay! By the way my husband played golf at The Crossings- loved it. It is about a block away from the hotel. Only recommendation is that my google directions stated to turn left onto Owens it is actually a RIGHT. The hotel also has a little trail "Bud Lewis" that is behind the pool area and leads to a little park with benches- great for a picnic if good weather.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 6 November 2010

The hotel was clean and safe and meets all the basic requirements for business travel. There's no wi-fi (or if there was, it didn't reach to my room) and I didn't partake of the $11.95 breakfast buffet, but there was a nice bowl of apples at the front desk and a small shop to buy food items. Check-in was fast, and the staff was pleasant. All in all, a fine experience.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Sims722
Hamilton,NJ
Reviewed 27 September 2010

Just stayed one night due to a water problem at my daughters' place. Room was clean and it had water. I was so tired I would have slept in a chair in the lobby. Seemed like a nice place. Can't rate the amenities as I didn't use them.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2010

A decent place to stay - a bit nicer than what I expected - service was good. Breakfasts had plenty of choices - quiet, nice pool

• Stayed September 2010