“Great week in Carlsbad”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Saint George, UT
“Great week in Carlsbad”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I selected this property because of the location to the beach. I wasn't aware of June Gloom, but like clock work at 10 AM every morning the sun came out. We were the only ones at the adult pool....loved having an adult pool. I was impressed by the cleanliness of the resort and the excellent service we received during a one week stay...fresh towels twice and a mini cleaning mid week. I usually don't go to welcome events, but attended the welcome breakfast and was very surprised by the staff and the food...both top notch. The resort grounds were immaculate and noticed the gas grills in several locations, lots of chairs around the grounds to sit and read. Our two bedroom condo was very nice. One night at 9 PM the refrigerator began making a horrible noise...we called maintenance and within 20 minutes we had a new refrigerator. The appliances are not top of the line, but certainly adequate...and we cooked dinner three times. The neighborhood is quiet and we didn't notice any loud traffic. Didn't notice the train at all during the night and took the Coaster to San Diego for $5.50 round trip for seniors. I am a Wyndham owner so this was a RCI exchange....can only do it every 4 years...so I'll try again in 2018.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west have great light. We were on the ground floor in an end unit with a patio. The b...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank KKG1964
Sherry W, General Manager at Carlsbad Seapointe Resort, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hi KKG1964,
Thank you for reviewing Carlsbad Seapointe Resort. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed the adult pool and had it all to yourselves. Our staff works really hard to make guests feel right at home and help them have a great time while staying with us. We are glad that we were able to provide you with great service. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (397)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed in a two bedroom condo and were assigned a condo facing the train tracks. I didn't know what to expect, and had low expectations, since we had been hoping to stay at the newly built Marbrisa but it was booked. But, we were very pleasantly surprised. The condo itself was nicely sized and very well appointed. The decor was typical (not my favorite) but in very good condition. The kids loved having their own beds! A full kitchen (3/4 fridge) with everything we needed, including a coffeepot. There is a grocery store only a couple miles and an easy drive away, and we stocked up (tip- use a luggage cart - there are plenty - to get your groceries up to your room, it can be a long walk from the parking garage if you are carrying a lot of bags!). But, the area has many restaurants around also, and downtown Carlsbad is also not far.

I don't usually comment on staff, as I don't encounter them much, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. I dont want to name names, because I don't want to get them in trouble, but, the concierge was kind enough to direct us to coupons that were more helpful than the rate offered for the San Diego zoo, and one of the desk people gave me laundry detergent, rather than charge extra. These little things made us feel like they really wanted to make us enjoy our stay, as opposed to nickel and diming. Free cookies and coffee in the lobby was also nice.

The kids (age 6 and 8) really loved the activities. There was a "treasure hunt" and a lego word search for which they got a trinket for finishing. They were ecstatic. There was also basketball, tennis, pool, foosball, and ping pong. There are all sorts of things to borrow to take to the beach - boogie boards, sand pails, etc. We didn't realize until too late that they also have wagons to borrow to cart everything to the beach. It is a bit far if you are carrying things (or are 6 years old) but not impossible. It would have been absolutely fine with a wagon. I loved being able to get up and go for a run along the beach in the mornings.

Last thing I will comment is that the vicinity to the train tracks is unfortunate, but not a deal breaker. We would stay here again. I was shocked that my kids(closest to the tracks) were able to sleep through it. As for me, I came prepared with ear plugs, but I am used to that anyway.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Hi lawyermom3000,
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear that you were more than pleased with your accommodations and that you enjoyed yourself throughout your stay. It is also great to know that our staff was able to provide you with some coupons; we always look forward to being able to assist our guests in any way possible. We do apologize for the noise from the train tracks. We hope you chose to come back for another stay in the near future!
San Tan Valley AZ
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Every visit to Seapoint is a wonderful stay. This time the room was remodeled and the building was newly painted. The landscaping is healthy and well-kept. But the real pleasure is the friendly staff. Jessica was helpful and friendly at check in. I later met Ryan, a manager with enthusiasm to spare.
I am especially impressed with the housekeeping and maintenance staff who, when met in the hallways and elevators, are consistently friendly.
Seapoint is my favorite vacation place in San Diego Coounty.

Room Tip: Try for a room where the bedroom is on the ocean side. Salt air and the sound of waves makes for a g...
Green Features: They offer easy recycling containers, and bathroom lights that shut off automatically when lack of motion is detected.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank slorunr
Hi slorunr,
Thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that Jessica and Ryan as well as the rest of the staff were able to make your experience even more enjoyable. In addition, we are delighted to hear that you are content with the changes done throughout our facilities. We appreciate that you stay with us frequently and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I am an owner at Seapoint and we always enjoy returning and enjoying the location and activities in the Carlsad area. We went to Catalina Island this time and had a great time, Like a little caribbean island. We ferried out of Dana Point about 30 minutes from Carlsbad (depending on traffic) Also, went to 6 Flags in Valencia which is northeast of Los Angeles. About a 2 hour drive but great park. Worth the drive. Took the train to San Diego to see the Padres. The train stops directly behind the resort. Of course, there is the San Diego Zoo,lunch at the Del Cornado Hotel, Sea World, Los Angeles about 90 miles with many things to do there. What always makes it an extra special trip to this resort is it is very clean and well kept and great customer service. I recommend this place as tops on the list of places to vacation. Access to the beach and ocean across the street.

Room Tip: Request a corner room if possible and one that looks out to the ocean
Green Features: High rated in this area. Always improving these practices.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kayefa
Hello kayefa,
Thank you for providing us with your review. It is always great to hear from our owners and that every time they return they enjoy themselves. We value your Ownership and are honored to know that we are one of your top favorite vacation spots. We can’t wait to have you back with us in the near future!
Riverside County
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This was my first stay at this resort but I have stayed at other Hilton properties in the area. To begin, it was somewhat difficult to find as it is behind a small hill. It is not on the beach but across the street from it. Check in was fine but I was placed in one of their smaller rooms with a queen size bed, on the first floor with no real ocean view due to that small hill. I did not like the room and asked to be moved. I was informed that there were no open rooms. I was told that they might be able to move me the next day (Sunday) as most guests will be checking out. But the shock was that they would need to charge me a $40 cleaning fee because they would now have to clean the room again. I have never encountered such a fee at any Hilton resort and was not happy but I was told it was resort policy. I can see why they might want to discourage people from moving from room to room but I thought that $40 was way more than the true cost of cleaning the room. My original room was small. The refrigerator lacked an ice maker. You could not even open the bathroom and bedroom doors at the same time.

The next morning they told me that they found a better room and it would be ready about 2:00 pm as the current occupants left after the normal check in time. The new room was twice as large and on the second floor. It had a full ocean view. The bathroom featured a whirlpool tub. Apparently I was upgraded to their largest one bedroom unit. Now I figured the $40 was worth it to some degree. The only issue was the ceilings are thin and you will hear foot steps upstairs. Hopefully, you will not need to listen to kids for part of the day running in the room. But outside of that the room was beautiful.

Like most resorts they have bbqs for resident use. The problem was some of them did not work unless you used a match. But once you got them working, they performed like they should. There are two pools. One is the family pool and the other is an adult pool. There are two spas. One is the family spa and the other is of course the adult spa. The family one is not kept very hot, but because of this you can sit in it for hours. The adult spa is hot like most spas. I preferred the adult spa. The adult pool is beautiful as pools go.

There are lots of activities at the resort for free or either at a nominal fee. They do a free breakfast on Mondays which I did not try and they do a pancake breakfast on Tuesdays and Thursdays. These may be timeshare presentations in disguise so be aware of that.

If you want to visit the beach, they have everything that you will need (towels, boggie boards, chairs, etc.) and can borrow them. The beach was not busy the days of my stay but I can see it being very busy in the Summer.

There is nothing within walking distance of the resort. So if you want something to eat or you need to buy food and supplies, be prepared to drive a short distance.

If you plan on going into San Diego, I suggest that you take the train. The train station is close because at the back of the complex you can hear the train several times a day.

Service at the front desk can be a little hit or miss. You may get someone friendly and professional and maybe not. I found their front desk staff to be less friendly and professional than at other resorts in the area.

Now let me give you some hints to enjoy your stay:

1. Ask for a unit on the second or third floors or you will not see the ocean because of the hill mentioned above.

2. Ask for a full ocean view. Some of the units are blocked by other units from an ocean view. Others face north partially away from the ocean.

3. Ask for a king size bed. The queen size beds are in the smaller, less desirable units.

4. You will only get one parking permit but there is plenty of street parking.

5. If you are adults traveling, stick to the adult pool and spa. They are nicer than the family counterparts.

6. Don't let them give you a back unit. These units are closer to the above mentioned railroads tracks.

7, Try to get a room with the bedrooms in the front of the unit (near the balcony or patio), otherwise your bedroom window will have people walking behind it. Your privacy may be comprised as a result.

Overall would I stay here again. Definitely now that I know what to expect.

Room Tip: See above.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lance2002
Hi Lance2002,
Thank you for providing us with your review. We are sorry to hear that you had a difficult time finding us. However, we are glad to hear that our staff was able to move you to a more spacious room on a higher level. In addition, it is always great to hear that our guest are finding everything they need within our facilities as well as exploring the nearby attractions. Thank you for all the travel tips! We hope you come back for another visit.
Wiltshire
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My husband booked this condo paid $350 for my birthday. I wasn't very impressed with the place. We promised a room with a king bed, but got queen size instead. The room smell musky chemical. At that rate, I was expecting at least a kind of sea view, instead we had a balcony which faced other balcony by children's pool. Asked Reception for a sea view room, she said abruptly that there were only first floor condos available. Clearly not, I could see empty ones on third floor. To ejoy a sea view, we had to walk around the building, on the road, in again went to the front of the pool and found a spot. To get to the beach, we had to cross highway 101 to the other side, walked along the highway before we could access the beach. The condo is closer to rail track than the sea. No meal option, no breakfast, no toiletries amenities. It is about 4 miles drive to Carlsbad village. Reception was not friendly at check in nor check out. If I was making the booking, I would have stayed at Carlsbad Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, the Brand new Pier south autograph collection, Manchester Grand Hyatt, Marriott Marquis downtown San Diego. These hotels were half the price, inclusive of breakfast and sea or bay view and yes plenty to do and places to eat. So don't rely on the pictures or you will be fooled like my husband. on the good notes, room is clean and ground area is well kept.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must, or you might as well stay at home. If you can afford this hotel, I am sure you h...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Madonna80
Dear Madonna80
Please accept our sincere apology that your stay was less than satisfactory. I have shared your observations with the front desk team and have reminded them of the importance of friendly and attentive service. It is unfortnate that we were unable to address your concerns during your visit and obtain a proper resolution. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please provide your contact information by emailing CSRinfo@gpresorts.com. I hope to hear from you soon.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The room is nice and big. We are on the 3rd floor of the hotel. The room has nice vaulted ceilings and the room feels big. We have a great ocean view with a patio.

One of the drawbacks was that this morning (Saturday) at about 7am the trash truck was SUPER LOUD and there, for a LONG TIME. What trash truck comes on a Saturday to a hotel and make all that noise? Apparently this place. Beware!

The cleanliness of the bed pillows and sheets were ok. We had to return some pillows as there was mystery hair and make up. Kind of gross. We are trusting the other sheets and pillows are clean.

We are here for another night so we shall see how this ends.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Karesforsam
Hello Karesforsam,
Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincere apology for the noise disturbance you heard early in the morning. We hope our staff was able to provide you with all the assistance you needed and that your last night turned out great. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope you come back to visit us!