Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara, Carlsbad Ca.
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$244
US$193
US$360
US$321
  • Restaurant
Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$223
US$165
  • Restaurant
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$299
US$274
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Beach View Lodge(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$344
US$298
BestWestern.com
Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$200
US$175
  • Pool
Ocean Palms Beach Resort(Carlsbad)(Great Value!)
US$297
Omni La Costa Resort & Spa(Carlsbad)
US$349
US$329
  • Pool
All reviewspark hyattkids clubdaily housekeepinggolf coursebedroom villasd zoowasher dryermaster bathroompoolside servicefull kitchenlocker roomthe main hotelconcierge staffnorth of san diegohome away from homedining tabletime share
Reviewed 23 April 2013

We just came back from a four night stay at the Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara. Our visit was due to a convention being held at the nearby Hyatt which was overbooked. This of course was fortunate for us as the Four Seasons was a much more attractive place that was comfortable and convenient to the Hyatt as well as many of the area attractions. Our beautiful villa exuded a comfortable and homey feeling. So much so that while my husband attended meetings, I just relaxed by the fireplace or on the balcony. Our room was very clean and our housekeepers were very attentive to our needs. We did not use any of the amenities except for the in villa dining. The food was very good and the staff and service were excellent. I would definitely recommend this as a vacation destination, it is a great place to unwind.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Personal retreat, couples retreat, health spa getaway, kids vacation, family vacation - all in one. Beautiful spacious grounds, gorgeous clean comfortable rooms, great kids activities, beautiful pools.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank ducky2010
Reviewed 25 February 2013

This was our our first time staying here after the neighboring hotel switched from being managed by Four Seasons to being a Hyatt. It's a Park Hyatt so it's at the top of the Hyatt group so it's still a gorgeous hotel, but it's a separate entity from the Four Seasons Residence Club.

The Residence Club itself can be booked a couple different ways so I think it's important to differentiate whether it was booked through Four Seasons directly or through a third party. My brother and his family were staying in a neighboring room booked directly through Four Seasons and he received a welcome amentiy of a couple plates of brownies and milk for his kids. We rented our stay through a Four Seasons timeshare owner and we didn't receive a welcome amenity. Not a huge deal in itself but there is a different standard of service depending on how you book your stay.

All of that said, I think this property is absolutely without a doubt the finest high end family friendly resort property in the United States.

It starts with the graciously proportioned, gorgeously appointed 1,600sf villa and the amazing Four Seasons intuitive service. They've done a very nice interior remodel of every one of the units including granite countertops in the kitchen, new appliances, and new furniture. So well done. The service is never pretentious, always flawless and highly appreciated. It's a fantastic combionation and a tremendous value for the price points these places rent for especially if you can opportunistically catch one of these on the third party rental market.

I was interested to see how things changed with respect to hotel amentities. The biggest downgrade I detected for families was the lack of the free Kids for All Seasons program at the hotel. I think it used to run every day of the week, even if the off season, and was compliemtnary. Now, during Presidents Day week break for example, it only ran on the weekends and costs $40 for a half day or $80 for a full day with lunch. This is an unfortunate downgrade for families with kids 3-7 years old especially I think.

However, they've added a Kids Club at the Residence Club with video and board games. Kids 7 and up can visit here and play games unattended - an ideal model being where parents are hanging out at the nearby Summits pool so kids can check in with them periodically. For kids 6 and under it's a less than ideal fit because they'll want to go there and as parents you'll be there watching them play video games. There are computers you can browse the web on while hanging out but still - I'd like to see more programming for young kids.

The Residence Club has maintained relationships with the golf course and tennis courts even though they're owned by the hotel. Golf and tennis clinics remain a good deal.

Residence Club guests can still visit the hotel. This includes the game room and swimming pools. The pools aren't a significant draw since there are two pools at the Residence Club, but the hotel pool can be nice for a change of pace. The hotel spa has a nominal fee for use without a treatment (sauna, etc). I was told Residence Club guests could still charge to their Residence Club at the Park Hyatt hotel but I didn't buy anything up there so I can't confirm this went through without a hitch.

To get up to the hotel from the Meadows, the Residence Club provides complimentary minivan shuttle.

Other than all that, things are pretty much as they were before the Park Hyatt takeover. Attendants still "set you up" at the pools. The dining menu seemed more substantial at the pools than in the past. In-villa dining seems to be run by the Four Seasons Residence Club as opposed to being served up by the hotel in the past and arrives quickly.

It's still a spectacular place to visit and I can't wait to go back. Such an amazing value, especially when you compare it to a week at a Four Seasons suite at Punta Mita or Costa Rica.

I just wish Four Seasons would build more Residence Clubs like these. The only one that's similarly run is Scottsdale. I'd love to see one of these in Floriday or Newport, RI. Hint hint Four Seasons! :)

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank RobertDwyer
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed in a One Bedroom Resort Residence and we were very happy with our stay. The room is in white tone, very spacious, clean and very comfortable, as it is expected in a Four Seasons property. Before arriving, we told them it was our 8 night of our trip and they left us a lot of detergent and bounce so we could do many loads of laundry, very nice gesture!

The resort is in a very quiet part of Carlsbad, and the resort seemed fairly empty.

The pool was big enough, although not as nice as other pools we went to on this trip, it was still very enjoyable. We ate poolside for lunch and the food quality was okay at best and it took nearly an hour to receive three quesadillas. The server was very nice and apologetic about this situation.

Breakfast was weird, since the hotel was nearly empty, the restaurant was not open for breakfast, so we had to choice of ordering room service or going to a little café. We calculated that if we ordered just a regular breakfast for three, the bill would've come out to more than $120, so we decided to go to the café, which was okay, but just had danishes and bagels.

One strange thing is that it seems that you can dial anywhere in North-America without dialing 1 before the number. I needed to make a phone call and I usually try without the 1 to see if it's long distance, and as it went thru. I thought to myself it wasn't a long distance (calling from Carlsbad to Newport Beach). When I got my final bill, I was charged 7.49$/minutes. I had to argue to the front desk that, anywhere I go in North America, if it's not local, a message says you have to dial 1, so there was no way for me to know it was a long distance. That being the case I would've made the call thru another phone and not the hotel's. After a couple of minutes of arguing, they offered 50% off. I kept saying that I wouldn't pay for that and they finally reversed the charge. This did not make our stay less enjoyable, but I just wanted to make sure people going there are aware.

We will definitely go back to this resort if we ever go back to this region.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2013

The Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara is like no other place we've stayed. It's simply fabulous.......luxury surroundings, beautifully maintained grounds and units, comfortable furniture, fabulous pool setting,welcoming staff that is gracious and accomodating every minute of the day...I can't imagine what more they could offer! We enjoyed every minute of our stay! This is a property too wonderful to miss!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple