“cheap, new, and clean but a whole lotta other issues......”

Motel 6 Carlsbad - Village
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Encinitas, California
“cheap, new, and clean but a whole lotta other issues......”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

They do have cheap rates, the rooms are remodeled, and clean for the most part. I also liked the location, and it had parking. They also have HBO, and a flat screen. It's also located next to food, and a variety of restraunts, café, food stores, and bars/ liquor stores. The beach is also in walking distance. There are a lot more things I didn't like though. The phones don't work in the rooms. A lot of the lights are burned out in the rooms. There is a lot of freeway noise. Some of the staff have attitude problems, and come off real rude. Also the door broke, battery in machine that scans card to allow entrance had an error. I was locked out of my room for 5 hours, with all my personal belongings in the room. They did give me a free night for that, and 20.00 for dinner, and I ended up getting in my room, so I actually scored. Also one of the nights an African American man started beating up these three girls, and broke one of the girls noses. Then took off on foot to evade police. The girl was bleeding all over and tried to grab me, almost getting blood on me. I had to argue but I got a free night for that as well. The police kept me up all night roaming the grounds. I'd sayu stay here if you need a cheap spot don't expect a lot though, and avoid if possible. They also don't offer breakfast, but it's not like you paid for it.

Room Tip: Don't expect a lot, it is what it is, a cheap hole in the wall motel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Chuck S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Slidell, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Why do we use Motel 6? Price, price, price. I won't go into what is typical - just what I liked and didn't care for. The front desk was very nice at check in and the web site was easy to access and they had space. I'm no longer certain I'm getting the best rate using the internet though. Someone has to pay for that convenience don't they? Initially the room was what I was prepared for. Being a tech person, the TV was a bit "out of date" if you know what I mean. Also, the wall unit where the TV was anchored was severely water damage. Would the TV have fallen while I was there?? What if my grand daughter was moving around? Pay for internet? I just won't do it. I have a hotspot that makes it much less expensive. Again, price, price, price. The tub drain plug didn't work. Had to remove it completely so the water would drain. I had to air out the room when I arrived. Way too much perfume! Hiding that someone had recently smoked in a non smoking room? Well, again, back to my original statement.

Room Tip: No frills! Quieter that the ESA next door to the interstate.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Richard W
Indiana
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This hotel is nasty. I stayed here on a Friday, August 30, 2013. My room smelled of cat. There was cat sitting in the office window and they probably let it spend time in the room I got unlucky to stay in. The air conditioner wouldn't cool the stuff room. It was extremely small especially if it was a handicap room. I think it was a handicap room because the bathroom was very big, the tub had a handicap bench in it too. There was only a sink and nothing else to put any of your personal hygiene products on. The parking lot ISNT big enough to park all of the cars that were at the hotel. BEWARE of where you park. The $85 I paid to stay at this motel may sound cheap and many will say I got what I paid for but DONT STAY here! The hotel attendant was on the phone the entire time I was at the window.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank L R

Travellers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Carlsbad is expensive, no question. However, this Motel 6 is about half the price of anywhere else in Carlsbad. No, it's not on the beach and there is no ocean view, but the less than half mile walk to the beach is a pleasant one. Wonderful tourist village, boutique stores, surf shops....there is a lot to see in Carlsbad. Keep in mind that it is a Motel 6, so there are no amenities like in-room coffee pots and hairdryers. However, both rooms we stayed in during our visit were clean, and the office staff was friendly and responsive to our request for extra towels and pillows. I will absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Janene1955
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Do yourself a favor and spend a little more to get a nicer motel. We stayed here for one night to extend a family vacation in San Diego. We wanted a place close to the ocean since we planned to spend the entire day at the beach, so after a little searching and so-so reviews, decided to stay at this Motel 6. Initially, it wasn't THAT bad. The room we were given intially seemed ok, and on par for a Motel 6. The problem was, it only had a queen bed which was too small for me, my husband and our 3 year old, so we went back to the office and asked for a double room. Upon entering the new room, I was slightly mortified. It smelled funny, had the standard tacky decor and turned out to be a handicap accessible room, so everything was just awkward. The bathroom floor was FILTHY. It clearly had not been cleaned in weeks. And with a floor that gross, I could only imagine how clean the bedding and other areas were. I was totally grossed out, but I kept telling myself "It's only ONE night". After about an hour in the room, the smell really started to hit you. It was the smell of urine. The other people staying at this motel were a little scary looking, and there were bums and stuff walking around the property. I saw some shady stuff go down in the immediate area. Bottom line, I would NEVER stay here again. I would rather spend an extra $20 and stay somewhere that sees regularly cleaning.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Nicole H
Reviewed 9 July 2013

PROS: We booked a room for two nights due to its decent pricing and close proximity to the beach (about a ten-minute walk through downtown area).

CONS: There was a funky wet smell the moment we stepped inside. Also, we found a dead mosquito on the sheets beneath the blanket. There was a dirty black ring around the shower as well.

OVERALL: We probably won't return again despite its convenient distance to the beach. I don't have high expectations when staying at a Motel 6, but this one was rather unpleasant.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alice F
Escondido, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Because motel 6 is a chain motel, it is expected to be at least decent. But every time I go to a motel 6 , it's always affordable, pleasant and simple. I usually call only hours in advance for this hotel on the weekend and they get me a room right away. I've never paid over 68 dollars for one night in a two queen bed room. The staff is nice, the rooms are decent and clean, and this location is perfect. It's near the downtown area by the beach in Carlsbad, so if you're visiting California, this is a good place to go for a night or two. It's family friendly, too. I recommend motel 6's to everyone, especially for short trips and people on a budget.

• Stayed January 2013