“Location! Location! Location!”

Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
San Diego, California
“Location! Location! Location!”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

This is a great hotel and you cant beat the price! My wife and I are from Carlsbad but now live in Arizona. Typically we stay with family or friends when we’re in town but now that we have a little girl (1 ½ yrs old) we find it easier for us, and our family, to have our own space.
Growing up in Carlsbad I’ve always noticed this hotel tucked away in the cul-de-sac but never really gave any notice. Now that they have remodeled the exterior and interior they’ve turned this once drab space in to a shining gem.
As my title says its all about location and this hotel has it. Walking distance to everything Carlsbad has to offer. It’s a bit of a distance to the beach so if you’re trucking all your kids stuff, and in my case, kids stuff, and my surfboard. My suggestion is bring a folding wagon or cart. That might be a good thing the hotel could offer their guest. Have a couple wagons on hand to loan out to guest with families. Hopefully they read this and pick up a few of them at Costco.
As far as the rooms they were very nice. I noticed a couple things they could have improved which is the reason I’m giving them a 4 rather then a 5 rating. If you’re going to update an entire hotel with new furniture, carpet, paint and so on. Why not get rid of the dirty popcorn ceilings? Yes I know there is extra cost involved, but to have all brand new then look up to see an old, dirty popcorn ceiling threw me off. The other thing that stood out to me was the bed. They had new, modern looking bedding but no bed skirt. The box spring was a bit beat and it really stood out. This is an easy fix which would make the room so much nicer. The rest of the room was great. The kitchen came in handy since we had the baby and could easily fix her meals.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel doesn’t have a regular cleaning schedule so if you want your room turned its by request. We never requested the cleaning service but did request towels and dish soap for the kitchen now and then. They were there in a flash with no waiting.
If you’re like us and arriving via your own car I would suggest bringing your bikes if you have them. The hotel is walking distance to just about everything but next time we’re bringing the bikes for sure. There are a couple places in town that rent bikes for the day or week so that’s always an option as well.
We had a great stay at Extended Stay and will definitely be returning again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank cozydiver
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of our hotel. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We appreciate your ideas and feedback; I am going to see about possibly incorporating them in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Very clean and courteous staff. Grab and go breakfast works well for the on the go traveller. Very near the beach. Pool onsite is also a big plus for the kids. There is also a fitness center onsite for those who want to exercise. Parking is also abundant.

Room Tip: Rooms on either floor is good.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Edsan_12
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 7 September 2012

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Smoke seems to permeate the room, even though smoke free according to clerk. Pet friendly, with dogs all over. However, if you don't want to share your hotel with animals, this is not so pleasant. The pool is nice, but no hot tub/spa. Not sure of the ratings, but only soap is provided in the bathroom, without shampoo/conditioner. Small kitchen is nice. Beds are firm, but seem to be beaten up already, for a newly renovated/constructed hotel is surprising. Free breakfast munchies are nice.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quieter, and nearer the parking, but freeway noise may travel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was happy to read your remarks about the pool and complimentary breakfast; however, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and a comfortable place to stay. We apologize if the dogs and designated smoking rooms kept you from being able to consider our hotel a "home away from home". It is our goal to ensure that our guests are not disturbed throughout their stay and it saddens me to hear you were.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I booked a vaction through a travel agency and we decided since we'd be there a week we'd try an Extended Stay, good value, and a very nice piece of property. We landed around 8:30 pm and got our car and drove to the hotel. When we arrived we were tired from our flight and just wanted to go to sleep (due to the 3 hour time change coming from NJ). We got the lobby and we smelled smoke, no big deal. When we got to the reception area check-in was quick and she was very pleasant, then she said it and this is the only reason I gave 4 and not 5 points. She said the lobby is closing soon and if you have any problems call the police. Well my wife (holding our 4 year old song) her eyes bugged clear out of her head! When we got back to our room I got hit with 20 questions. "What did she mean?" "What problems will we have?" "Does she know something?" I calmed her down and we enjoyed our evening.

I am not mad at her, or the hotel I actually appreciate the warning.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

I do appreciate the opportunity to respond to your issue in a way that might be able to help future customers. It's very important to us that our guests know exactly what to expect when staying with us - a great room at an exceptional rate. In order for us to continue offering such value, we maintain fully staffed front desk hours between 7am and 11pm seven days a week. During other times, our overnight staff is always available to check in guests and assist with other issues. It is not our policy to refer guests to the police department for overnight guest needs. I apologize if our Front Desk agent did so, I will be speaking with them about the situation.

Carlsbad, California, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2012

My Husband was transfered to Southern California in February. We stayed at the Extended Stay -Carlsbad Village by the Sea until May 31, 2012! Everyone was extremely nice. The room was remodeled and very clean! We enjoyed having a kitchenette (full size fridge, two burner stove top, lots of cabinet space...and a microwave. Our room was on the ground level looking at the pool. It was a little chilly at that time to swim...but it was always nice looking and inviting! The laundry room was nice ($2 to wash, $2 to dry). They also had a nice little breakfast center open in the morning with cereals and coffee, tea, and fruit bars. I think it had oatmeal too! I always felt safe staying there because all the exits were card key access only. If we needed towels or toilet paper...just went to the nice girls at the front desk! Within walking distance to Carlsbad Village -restaurants and shops! The Ocean is only a few blocks away! I would want my family and friends to stay there!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Ann-Marie B
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 20 July 2012
It was very kind of you to for take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our company motto is "Excellence Every Day, Every Way", and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice.
Mesa
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Nice value for beach trip. Rooms have lots of space. Carlsbad is our favorite family beach town. Front staff could use some more help. Staff was covering desk, cleaning towels, and prep for grab and go breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank LMC76
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
I would like to personally thank you for taking time out to write such wonderful things about your experience at Extended Stay America San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. We strive to provide a "home away from home" experience for all of our guests, no matter if they are staying for a night, a week, or a month. It sounds like we were able to do just that for you, and we are truly honored for your recognition. Once again, I and the entire staff at our hotel thank you for your very kind words, and we'd love to see you here again. Please don't hesitate to call on me for your future stays here or at any other Extended Stay Hotels(sm) location.
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We had a list of things that were terrible about this hotel but the few basic things that were wrong are as follows: dirty linens were left in the sofa bed, dried blood on pillow, dirty towel in kitchen cupboard, hair and bobby pin on the floor, we're very understaffed, breakfast was always running out of items. Would never stay here again. Also just be advised there is no daily maid service at these hotels.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank bngladbach
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology. Please understand that maintain strict quality control standards, which demand that every room is inspected prior to making it available to our guests. Clearly there was a failure in our system during your stay. In response to your comments, I’ve personally met with all of our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we can improve. Let me assure you that your experience is certainly not typical, and that we have put in place measures to ensure that the type of stay you had won't be repeated. Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.