Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 28 January 2013

My family and I stayed here over the weekend and I thought the hotel was great. It was at a nice location, very close to beach. Also, the staff was great and their customer service was excellent. I would definitely come back!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm glad that you had a great weekend stay and the staff provided excellent service during your stay. We look forward to the next time you are in Carlsbad.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Rooms are okay. There's a weird smell in the hallways, bathroom was not 100% clean, bedspread has stains, iron didn't work, sticky goo on walls and floor, clearly not well cleaned at all. Not a good value to me.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that the cleanliness of our rooms was not up to par. I am going to ensure that first, all the irons are checked to make sure they work and then second, work on replacing any blankets that are past their useful life and then we are going to work on a deep cleaning project to ensure that issues you described do not happen again in the future. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate the specific comments regarding the irons, wall and bedspread. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me James at jburpo@extendedstay.com or Jun at jeusebio@extendedstay.com We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area.

Reviewed 23 January 2013

I didn't read the reviews about the hard beds before booking the room, so I didn't have a preconcieved expectation about the beds. My wife and I enjoyed two restful nights, even though we had rooms facing the freway. We did have to keep the double windows shut to ensure a quiet night.
With the senior discount and the off season rate, the room was well worth the $85 (including the 10% tax) we paid. Will use this hotel again if we ever need a room in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

I appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review about your stay and the value that we offer. I'm thrilled to hear that you would stay with us again next time you need a room in Carlsbad. Thank you for sharing you experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Carlsbad.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

If you like very hard beds, old worn out pillows, rugs that leave your wihite socks black on the bottom, window so dirty you can't see our clearly, you're going to love this one. My wife and I are not neat niks and just did not feel confortable about the cleanlyness, Other small things like ceiling fire sensor hangin from ceiling, Room cards that had to be re-set daily, Lost luggage cart they couldn't find. I don't think their executives would stay here. Just worn out!

Room Tip: Find a clean room!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ronald a
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2012

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. I sincerely apologize that the room cleanliness was not up to your, and quite frankly our standard either. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am having the carpets shapooed and having our maintenance department check the smoke detectors in every room on the property to be certain that they are all property attached. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I hope that you will contact me directly, at James at jburpo@extendedstay.com,, should you wish to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I have been staying here off and on for a couple of years. Rooms are nice, newly renovated. Staff is execellent, nice and freindly. They bend over backwards for anything. Nice to have a kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave, 2 stove burner and sink. They have Contental breaksfast with coffee, muffins, oatmeal, breakfast bars and fruit in the morning. It is located so conveniently from downtown Carlsbad. Walking distance to many restaurants, clubs and local stores. Only a 10 minute walk to the beach. Lots to do here. The prices are excellent for everything you get. Carlsbad is bike friendly with lots of bike lanes to the beach and around town. I wouldnt stay anywhere else in the San Diego Area. Thanks for everthing Extended Stay America, Carlsbad Village by the Sea

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve_G55
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad to hear that our staff was so friendly and would do whatever you needed to make your stay comfortable. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

I think they've remodeled this location since the rooms seem upgraded from previous experience. Room was clean and well maintained. But since a room is primarily a place to stay I cannot recommend them since the bed was the hardest bed I've ever slept on. I cannot begin to understand why they picked a bed this hard - no other hotel, motel or inn of whatever quality has been this bad. They really should think more carefully about the most important piece of the room, since getting a good night sleep is what it's all about right?

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you found our beds too hard. In response to your feedback, We've been replacing our older mattresses with new pillow top mattresses. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I invite you to contact me at or jburpo@extendedstay.com or clb@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

We are currently staying in this hotel. The "kitchen" has two of some things- its sparse. One of our spoons has a burn mark in the center- and it doesn't take a dummy to realize it is from cooking heroin. I get it- people do drugs in crappy hotels, but for crying out loud, don't give that spoon to the next guy! The bed blankets and comforter are itchy and yucky. Not much to brag about here. Bummer.

Another thing - exposed electrical wiring. Husband says if we touch it we'll get electrocuted. It's scary. The breaker box was also painted shut. We made sure to get it open just in case someone gets electrocuted! What the heck? This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Also- they don't give you anything- no shampoo. And pool towels are disgusting, shredding, with holes in them. One of them was actually a towel cut in half. SERIOUSLY?

Found a dirty wadded up Kleenex under the mattress. And we've only been here a few hours- can't wait to see what the next few days bring...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatieSchneider
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2012

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The issue with the towels, wiring and flatware is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am have our management team inspect the rooms for those issues this week to ensure they are not repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at jeusebio@extendedstay.com, clb@extendedstay.com or jburpo@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.