“Very nice for long term stays”

Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea
Ranked #33 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Slidell, Louisiana
“Very nice for long term stays”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Was a nice and convenient hotel. The staff were great an helpful. Nice pool though being from warmer parts of the US being so close to the beach it was a bit cool for swimming. Charcoal grills at the pool - it has been a while since I used charcoal and it was a nice change. Though leaving the AC fan on constant helped, being backed up to Interstate 5 had the constant and continuous road noise though the windows are doubled up and help a lot. The grab and go breakfast bar was nice - the fruit was fresh. Also great if you like to cook with the stove top. You have to wash your dished by hand - no dishwasher and it would have been nice to have been able to bake something during my 6 week stay. I'd spent my first 2 weeks at another hotel because of a short travel notice, ESA was by far the better option for amenities, service and overall quality. No awards program though - which I'm sure helps keep down the prices. The longer you stay the better the price. Beach, restaurants and a grocery store all with in an easy walk from the hotel. Very convenient to the front gate of camp Pendleton - about 5 miles. Though WiFi is free and adequate for most basic uses, my one gripe was that getting faster WiFi had a daily cost.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east hear more road noise from the interstate.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that our hotel staff member was able to meet your expectations and enjoyed your visit to Carlsbad. I am pleased to hear that you had an opportunity to use our pool. Also, I am glad to hear that our location was convenient for your stay.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is a fine hotel for short term stays... It isnt 5 star, but it is in the village and close to the beach and shops.. It is a normal room, no frills.. Our room was clean but basic... We were awaken in the middle of the night due to a false fire alarm.. But it was shut down quickly.
There is a good and bad to the location. It is behind the Dennys and Motel 6.. a very seedy motel and area. Although old the area is ok.. some of the homeless seemed to park out front but the police seem to move them along.. Again, I think it was over flow from the Motel 6.
If you are coming to Carlsbad for a family vacation on a budget this place is perfect... Safe, Clean and easily accessable to all the beach and village amenities..
Not for special occasions.. but practical if on a business trip or short overnight.
We stayed one night as our home (in Carlsbad) was getting painted...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that the location and cleanliness of our guest rooms suited your needs.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 August 2013

While this is not a 5-star hotel, it is very accommodating for groups. I and several people in my running club have spent the night here the night before running the Carlsbad 5K in April. This past April was at least the third time we've stayed at this hotel, usually in two or three rooms. It is extremely convenient for us, located only two or three blocks from the start line and the finish line. It also is located within easy walking distance to several restaurants, shops and the beach. Service has always been excellent and the staff is friendly and accommodating. We will continue to stay here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff is friendly and accommodating with your running club during the Carlsbad 5K and that the property was convenient to your event, restaurants, shops and the beach.

Once more, thank you for posting your review. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future!
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Best value for the buck. Friendly management and staff. Clean facility and most of all, its near the beach. We will be back in Southern California next year and will be booking my accommodations at this hotel. Thank you for making our special day (anniversary) an enjoyable and memorable one.

Room Tip: For big groups, get the "VIP" room for just a few more dollars. Best value.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. It's great to hear that our hotel the best value for the money, the service you received was excellent and the room was clean. We are glad that we made your Anniversary an enjoyable and memorable one.
La Quinta, California
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We were here for a family event in July, and booked several rooms. We had a pleasant, and welcoming check-in experience, but the rooms were a disappointment. It was nice to have a ref rig. and microwave in the room, but rooms were not clean. Room service quickly agreed to change dirty linens, but still, it was less than we expected for the price. Or any price, for that matter.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. It's great to hear that you had pleasant and welcoming check-in experience. However, I want to apologize for the unacceptable cleanliness our your room at check-in. I am glad that the staff was able to accommodate your needs to your satisfaction. I am working with our team on the inspection process to ensure this does not happen again.

Travellers are raving about these Carlsbad hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Excellent choice for a wonderful stay in San Diego. Great location, clean, comfortable, great customer service. Not only fixed every issue but gave a discount without asking!!! Met all our needs. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff made your stay with us very comfortable. As well, it is great to know that you found our property to be so clean. The staff and I truly enjoyed having you and your family stay with us. We look forward to having you visit with us again in the future.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This was my second time at Extended Stay in Carlsbad and another great one to boot!
You just cant beat this location. No, its not right on the beach but its an easy walk and for the price that's outstanding. Everything is within walking distance and if you're driving to the hotel and have to means to bring your bikes your golden.
The staff is very friendly and although our stay didn't include maid service (Which I prefer) it was very easy to get fresh towels etc. I ran in to one of the housekeeping staff by the name of Margarita in the hallway. She was quick to bring me some new towels and such. Very friendly.
My wife and I are originally from Carlsbad so I know the area well. We moved 8 years ago and allot has changed since then. One new place that has great taco's is Senior Grubby's on Carlsbad Village Drive just east of the coast highway on the east side. Really tasty! Take a stroll.
So thats my review of Extended Stay! Great place and I'll keep returning and writing good reviews until otherwise!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Carlsbad and were provided great service by Margarita and our hotel staff. As well, I am glad that you found our location to be convenient.

Once again, thank you for posting your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other brand locations, in the future.