“Worst Hotel Experience Yet”

Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My reservation was on a corporate account, and the stay was paid in full as the daytime staff reassured me (not only on the first day, but the second and third day as well).

The daytime & nighttime staff were never on the same page, and my experience was haunted by a nighttime manager charging us for expenditures that were already paid for.

When my wife and I came back to our room after spending over $200 in their attached restaurant (with my monies, not charged to the room), the night manager called the room repeatedly, back to back to back calls every 30 minutes.

After being harassed for over an hour, I finally answered informing the night manager his actions were unacceptable. Long story short, my wife and I ran out of patience and decided to leave two days early, even though the hotel reservation was paid in full.

When I tried to leave (at 10:30 PM), the manager threatened to call the police! I told him to follow through with his hollow threat, considering he charged my personal card without consent. I figured I had a case worth representing to the police. He sheepishly changed his tactics and told us he would be in contact with our corporate office.

I will never stay at this Hilton again, and I would highly recommend you to do the same.

Room Tip: The Garden Hilton in Carlsbad was a much more pleasurable experience.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank MattBridges
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear Mr. Bridges,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this valuable feedback. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the way in which this situation was handled. Our goal is to be the hotel of choice in the Carlsbad area, but we'll never make it there without learning from our mistakes. Please contact me at the resort so we can discuss the details and make this right.

Scott Wall
Director of Guest Experience
760-602-0800

There are newer reviews for Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This was the friendliest, most relaxed and comfortable personal travel experience that I have ever had. I would stay here again and again. The only negative at all was that Google maps isn't sure how to get there, but once we were there we did not want to leave.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Vikram S, General Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Andy J, thank you for your very positive review on Trip Advisor. It was great to hear that this was one of your best travel experiences at a resort property. The leadership team here feels very fortunate to have some really amazing personalities on our staff who care deeply for our guests. I hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Sure, it's not a real "resort". But, it's very, very, nice.
The service is impeccable; from the valets, to the front desk, to the restaurant Chandlers. Even the housekeeping staff was great.
We have stayed here twice now, and plan to stay here whenever we are in the area. Great pool area coupled with outdoor dining.
This is an unusually good destination. Great location, close to many great restaurants and attractions.
Give it a try; you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bobert2412

Dear Bobert2412, thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. It was really terrific to read your comments about the service team in Housekeeping, Valet, and the Front Office. As a relatively new property we have worked very hard to ensure that each guest leaves feeling as if they have arrived in their second home. We hope to see you on your next visit to Carlsbad .

Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

You'd never this is a large chain hotel, it has a small boutique hotel feel. It is right across the street from the beach and has what seems like a nice spa.

Howver it is the staff that makes the location stand out. They are very friendly and helpful and make your stay a delight.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear RiceWp, thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. You are right when you say that this does not feel like a typical branded or chain property. We are fortunate in the that ownership group really wanted to convey a sense of individuality in the decor and the layout in the lobby, restaurant, spa, and guest rooms. It was nice to hear that the uniqueness of the property hit home with you and that the staff made you feel welcomed. I look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the West Coast.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

I came for a weekend getaway. The sunset on the beach was gorgeous. Dinner was tasty. The hot tub divine. The room was clean and well appointed. The bed was super comfortable.
The only negative was breakfast. The buffet was not what I'd expect from a high end resort. The food was often empty and not hot. The service was pretty good, aside from a few minor glitches (my place setting was bussed while I was at the buffet).
Still a lovely getaway.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dsardinas

Dear Dsardinas, thank you for your recent feedback on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate the positive feedback along with the constructive feedback regarding the breakfast buffet. We are implementing some changes over the next couple of weeks to enhance our offerings for breakfast so on your next visit you should see some positive improvements.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Came in to do the Carlsbad marathon and stay here for two nights. First class hotel with really nice and very tasty on site diner. The pool and spa area is also great! Very little noise in the rooms, clean bedding, great staff.

Only thing we will do different on next visit is to get a room with a ocean view!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jbohnet, thank you for your recent posting on Trip Advisor. I hope you had a very successful result at the Carlsbad Marathon and that your experience at the resort helped you have a successful race. We look forward to seeing you next year for the marathon and perhaps for some of the other running events throughout the year.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Beautiful hotel and very good location! We had a great time with good view from our room. They have heated pool and a heated jacuzzi. Loved taking a walk around the Beach. If you are looking for a nice getaway, I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Jwang801, thank you for your most recent review on Trip Advisor. It was nice to read your comments about our beachside location and your feedback about the facility and the service. As you mentioned, it is a terrific location for a get away that feels secluded, but is so close to many of the special features within North County San Diego. We hope to see you again soon over the coming months.