“Best Hilton So Far”

Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I arrived ay 9pm, and the checkin with my kids was quick.

Had one of the best late night stakes at my room. Wow, simply the best room service steak I have ever had.

Next day, the kids jumped in the pool. The pool is warmed and perfect for kids, not deep at all. They have a shuttle to take you into town near by and super close to Lego Land. Although... When we went to Lego land they have their own hotel that I might have stayed for the convenience... but this Hilton was great.

Breakfast was never an issue here. Waiters were great and I wasn't forced to get the buffet for my kids like the Universal Hilton did. Anyway... a solid Hotel.

The Beach is just down about a block away, however you will want to drive a bit further down for a perfect beach spot as the beach next to the Hilton is busy with the Winnebagos parked everywhere. Not the best beach imho. But just down the street... wow... good times.

3  Thank DrLife

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

My wife, daughter and myself arrived after a long drive from Chandler Arizona on Wednesday July 9. When arriving at the resort you are pounced upon by the valet guys standing in the driveway. There is no real place for guests to park to check into the resort. Sure the valet guys are nice and trying to earn a living, I have no problem with that, but at least let me park and move my own luggage. I went for a luggage rack and was immediately told, oh we can't let anyone use those, we have to move the luggage on those it's a resort policy. When you arrive at the resort all the spots are marked valet In front. No check in parking.

The resort itself is very clean and modern, as it should be, just being recently opened. The pool area is nice and has a shallow pool for kids. The restaurant Chandler's is on point. The breakfast buffet is nice with plenty of options for everyone. Fresh fruit, breads, eggs, bacon, etc.. For dinner I tried the filet with the blue cheese crust and veg. I suggest the ribeye steak which we had in room service.

Friday night they had a 3 piece musical act that played some standards, like the Eagles "Hotel California" kinda ironic, don't us think? They were good don't get me wrong. A bass player, guitarist and percussionist.

Beware if you like the windows open for that fresh Carlsbad sea breeze (who doesn't right) and you face the ocean, people have been known to sit at the fire place and talk until 3am. Kinda annoying when you are trying to sleep. The entire outside should be shut down after 11, not just the pool area. The resort itself gets a 5⭐for the location across from the beach, sure there are RVs in the state camping sites, better than looking at the I5 , parking garage and the coaster tracks outback.. IMO.. I and giving a 4 ⭐ due to the valet service being so upfront and obtrusive..

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CannaDad
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The Hilton Carlsbad is a fantastic family resort. Close to Lego Land, San Diego and is across from the beach. Rooms are very nice, restaurant and staff are friendly and very helpful.
You can take Amtrak down and they still send a car for you .

I would recommend it very highly, their prices are reasonable and no hustle and bustle of crowds .

Room Tip: All locations of rooms are good, but I would prefer ocean view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Superior quality staff. Location is perfect to get to many locations. It says beach front but you do need to cross the street but it is only a two minute walk so it is as good as on the sand. Decent bar selection. Food was good on property could be open later but we are from Vegas and used to everything open past 11pm.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'm new to trip advisor so this is a little late, but I was so happy with this hotel that I felt the need to write a review anyway! My friend and I stayed at the Hilton in Carlsbad back in May. She and I are both 19 year old girls and this was our first trip without parents so we were a little nervous. The staff at the hotel was great! They made us feel very safe and welcome, they were also extremely helpful helping us transportation and recommending places for us to go. Loved how the location was out of the hustle of San Diego but it did not take long to go to the city when we wanted to. It was also right across the street from the beach and the hotel had a great pool and restaurant. The only complaint I had was that there was no continental breakfast. In the mornings we would order room service for breakfast and the same man brought it to us every day, he was always very polite. The hotel was kept very clean, the rooms were very comfortable, and the shower was huge! We were both very happy with our experience there. Next time I travel to the San Diego area I will definitely stay at the Hilton in Carlsbad.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Wrong information at the time of Reservation, extra charges not infomed by the time of reservation. an additional $380 to be able to have the room I had REQUEST BY THE TIME OF RESERVATION, I have no problem of paying that money but I have a big problem when after 2 hours of drive to get to a hotel and talk to hotel manager as none qualified as this gentleman. Good Lock.

1  Thank Razmik A
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Based on price alone, this was not our first choice, but our friends were already booked here. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are large, comfortable, and clean. The pool are is great for families and the fire pits at night (till 11:00) are great for the adults. Again, I'm not accustomed to spending almost $300.00 per night and not even get a complimentary breakfast. For those who travel this way, It's a great hotel.

1  Thank Amy S