“Kids had fun”

LEGOLAND California Hotel
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 June 2013

All that matters here is that the kids have fun.

We stayed at the Legoland Hotel for one night. The gate attendant was very cheerful and gave the kids lanyards. Self and valet parking is included in the resort fee. We opt for the self-parking since the lot is across from the hotel.

We checked in at 2:00 pm at the registration desk, and our room wasn't ready. The front desk staff calls cell phone once room is ready. But that's okay our room wasn't ready at 2, because it gave us a chance to roam around the hotel and check out the features such as the Lego pit, pirate ship, lounge, pool, fitness center, restaurants, disco elevators and wifi.

At 4:00 pm, I returned to the registration desk and the staff told me my room isn't ready and they will call. My husband and I proceeded to wait patiently in the lobby while the kids played. While waiting, the line grew longer and we noticed other guests getting their keys.

Then at 4:30 pm, we got in line. Again, we were told our room wasn't ready. I asked the staff what time is the room guaranteed to be ready. She said after 4:00 pm. Not really a guarantee. She offered credit for appetizers at the café. Instead of appetizers, I requested the hotel credit us with five dinner buffets. She did, and we returned to waiting in the lobby while the kids continued to play.

At 4:45 pm, we received THE CALL the room is ready. We were finally back to being happy guests.

We booked the Adventure room. It was nicely decorated. The room has a bunk/trundle bed, queen bed, two TVs, work desk, desk chair, arm chair, full-length mirror, coffee maker and mini fridge. Complimentary water and juices is included. Plus there is “treasure” in the kids’ safe. No lock on the bathroom sliding door so don’t expect total privacy.

We’re a family of five, and the room size is adequate for one night. Our kids are ages 5, 8 and 11. We had views of the pool, parking lot, and the ocean in the distance. We called guest services and requested two more pillows, and they arrived within 10 minutes. The staff is cordial when we have questions. However, the housekeeping staff should appear more friendly simply by saying “hi” and/or smile.

The kids enjoyed the pool in the early evening. Poolside movie was also playing at this time. I expected the pool area would have an interactive water playground and/or water slides.

We had an enjoyable stay and the kids want to come back. If we didn’t receive free buffets, I would have been a bit disappointed. But they did show good customer service that I appreciate. We’ll probably return after the summer if I can find another good room rate.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,725)

Reviewed 18 June 2013

The kids had fun, and the room decor was cute, but there are a lot of issues: the fitness center is a JOKE! You cannot call a non-working treadmill, elliptical, and old fashioned bike a fitness center! Poolside food and drink service was unreliable and food was delivered cold. The room: NO lock on the bathroom door- not even a high one so an adult can reach it!! No light switches in the master bedroom- you have to search for a tiny switch on the lamp by the bed. NO counter space in the bathroom for any toiletries- for a family suite that sleeps 7, the bathroom is tiny! For spending almost $370 for the night, there should be NO issues with the room! If we register for a family of 6, there should be enough towels, pillows, soap, etc for 6 people! The worst part is that the walls are so thin that we could hear the man next door snoring....

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MariK888
frankid, General Manager at LEGOLAND California Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

We have listened and our housekeeping team is ensuring there are enough amenities in all suites and rooms.

I have personally checked the fitness center equipment to ensure all equipment is functioning correctly and apologize for the appearance that it was not.

We are continuing to do our best to ensure all offerings are up to our best standards and are taking advice and opinions seriously into consideration for future enhancements and developments.

Thank you for your feedback, it is appreciated.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Just like the Legoland park, the newly opened Legoland Hotel appears unorganized and needs improvements in many areas. We were visiting the Legoland park for two days so decided to check out this new hotel. We opted for the upgraded premium pirate-themed room. Even though check-in doesn't start until after 4 PM, we were able to pre-register and store our luggage in the morning. The front desk staff told me that since I pre-registered, I don't need to wait in line again and can proceed to pick up the keys to my room once it's ready. I got a call around 3 PM that my room was ready, so we went back to the hotel to allow the kids to take a nap. At that time, there were only two staffs working at the front desk, so I had to wait in line again.

The hotel itself is very poorly designed as a long building. Unfortunately I was assigned a room near the very end of the building. So, I had to walk through the very very long hallway each time going in & out of the room. The elevators are very cool with disco music/lights. My 4 yrs old son enjoyed it very much. The room is nicely decorated with several lego pieces. The kids also enjoyed the bunk beds. I found the adult bed too soft for my back.

On the morning of checkout, I called for luggage assistance. I ended up waiting 40+ minutes before someone finally showed up at my door. Even when I had called back after waiting 20 minutes, they claimed that they had no records of my call earlier.

We only stayed one night. There are a lot of potential about this hotel. We loved the decorations and the proximity to Legoland. You can't beat the convenience of going back and forth between the park and the hotel without getting on a car. However, the service is terrible for the price of the rooms. Also, there are limited dining choices unless we drive. I probably will not come back again until the service has improved.

Room Tip: Request a room closer to the elevator, otherwise prepare for a long walk. The premium themed room i...
1  Thank nstar612

Dear guest,

I apologize for the missteps in service regarding your check-in and luggage assistance. We are working diligently to adjust staffing levels and training staff to continuously improve efficiencies.

We will achieve our goals and want to go above and beyond all of our guest's expectations.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

Our reservation was also a nightmare. I was upset that they charged my credit card 2 months before our stay. When I called to complain I was told this was a resort and they are allowed to do this. It was very disappointing. By the time we arrived, I had received 3 different confirmations with different pricing and I was already very frustrated. The lady from Merlin Entertainment Co. who I dealt with was very nice, but it was still very frustrating and confusing. If I wouldn't have lost money and if my kids hadn't been so excited I would have just cancelled. When we checked in our room was not ready. I told the woman at the check in that it says 4:00 check in. She said, "No, it's after 4:00". I told her that's not what our paperwork said. Needless to say our room was not ready until 4:45. I kept checking and asked, "You don't allow late check out for any reason so what happened?" They didn't have an answer and then never offered any type of compensation or even a juice box for my kids who were tired by then. I was worried also that we wouldn't get the room we had requested which would have been a huge disappointment to my kids, but we did. Our AC/heating was difficult, we had a problem with our toilet (a wonderful man named Mike from Maintenance had to come), there are no closet doors and with kids it's too bad they didn't design the sink outside of the bathroom like most hotels. There were no extra blankets or places to hang towels. I also would have thought with kids (and since the hotel is so big) there would be more bathrooms in the hotel. The peep hole for children on the door is fun, the bunk beds and their own TV was nice (not sure why there are no sheets on the kids' beds) and the decor was fun. However, all of that wasn't worth the frustration, the charge on my credit card before we arrived & the late check in. This was our 4th trip to Lego Land, but it will be our last trip to Lego Land Hotel. For the price, it was not worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bridgette G

I apologize for the reservation and check-in frustration which we are continuing to work on improving and have seen positive results from opening to date which is still less than three months of operation. We are also working out all of the bugs in our operations including the rooms and housekeeping challenges to convert rooms.

We hope that guests are patient with our stumbles as we are working hard to get it right all of the time instead of just most of the time.

Respectfully,

Reviewed 15 June 2013

We booked an overnight in the family "suite", which turned out to be a largish room with a small bunk and trundle bed area for kids, and a double sofa bed. But only one bath, and no doors between the "master" bedroom and the rest of the area. I doubt it was more than 400 sq feet, including the bathroom. Our group of 6 was cramped.

Lovely swimming pool for tots, complete with life guards, a nice touch. But no hot tub for the adults. Entertainment and lots of legos in the lobby along with a play structure. Age is important. Kids abound, and our 4 year old grandson loved it all. A week later he still raves about the place. Our 12 year old grandson and 15 year old granddaughter were less impressed. It can get noisy with kids running in the halls at all hours (as in 3 AM, they must have been on European time).

Service in the buffet was virtually nonexistent, a large variety of so-so food, and the value was average. We passed on the breakfast buffet as too pricey, so can't rate this.

The place is booked solid all this summer, and the rates reflect the demand. It's a top dollar cost with a mid-low range value. I wouldn't go back unless we had a bunch under 8 who would really enjoy the theme.

Room Tip: The second floor "suites" on the front look over the lobby roof. Not the best view in the...
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Pros: Amazing "theming". Wrapped us in Lego magic the entire time. Characters regularly in lobby. Super fast and convenient buffet. Wonderful staff. On demand TV was great for parents who are a careful of what kids watch. Pool side movie was terrific. We did self parking and it worked fine. Cons: wi-fi (included in resort fee) was essentially non-existent. The 3rd night we were there we discovered (at 11pm) that the maid had not put a top sheet on the bed. The comforter was in a duvet cover, so we blew it off rather than waking the kids up. Parents came to visit (eat) and the lack of handicapped spots made it difficult for my mother (wheelchair) to get in from the lot.

Room Tip: Do not get a pool view room if you go to bed early (toddlers or babies). I was told that the pool s...
1  Thank Donna_mots
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I thought the welcome email I received the week before our trip was a nice touch. It said to call or respond to the email if I needed anything. Nice! So I replied to the email that we are arriving around 11 pm and would like to make sure our room is set up for us. We booked a suite which included a king, queen sofa bed, and bunks. The reservation was for 4 adults and 2 kids. I mentioned there would be 6 people so please make sure we have enough towels, etc. From here on out, I have mainly complaints. I guess they didn't connect the dots that 2 adults would need to sleep on the sofa bed. When we arrived at the hotel close to 11 pm, there were no valets or bell hops. We did not have problems with the check-in process. When we arrived to our room, I discovered that the sofa bed wasn't set up and there were no sheets, pillows or blankets. And, we only had 5 towels. I called guest services and someone came up to set up the sofa bed. She basically just wrapped a flat sheet around the mattress and left the duvet and blanket on a pile on top. As I was helping my mom unfold the duvet, I could not believe what I saw. A HAIR. EEWWWWWW!!! On closer look the duvet cover looked dirty. We were both disgusted and I immediately called guest services to report the situation. All she did was apologize and send the same person back to replace the duvet. I was very annoyed that guest services was very matter-of-fact about it and did not offer any service recovery. Not a good start or first impression. If I am going to pay this much for a room, I expect everything to be clean at the very least. They should also provide more towels and toiletries for suites, especially if the reservation states there will be 6 people. I shouldn't have to call housekeeping everyday to get what should already be provided. Isn't that what I'm paying the high prices for? Not only that, the treasure chest was already open in our room. When my husband asked the concierge about it, the response was that some of the locks were jammed and they haven't been fixed them because there was a recall on the locks. Seriously? The bathroom is tiny. The shower handle is nice but there is nowhere to hang your towel. There is only one little hook on the wall where they hang a mini blowdryer in a pouch. Other than that there is absolutely nowhere to hang the towels. I was afraid that if we just left them on the floor, housekeeping would fold them up for us to reuse. Although nicely decorated, it just seems like a lot of things were poorly thought out. And to be honest, I just can't get over the dirty duvet cover. To me that is absolutely unacceptable and we will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: 1st floor - Kingdom theme, 2nd floor - pirate, 3rd floor - adventure
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

I am embarrassed and surprised at the cleanliness issue involving your room and the lack of service offered to make your bed. I have followed up with our housekeeping team to ensure they learn from this mishap. We do attempt to offer proactive service but unfortunately missed the opportunity with you completely. I apologize about the lack of door service and we will ensure to adjust our schedules to accommodate late arrivals as this has not been a big need to date.