“Family fun!” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California, Usa
“Family fun!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My kids had so much fun in this hotel! As a mom, I had so much fun too, watching the huge smile on their faces throughout our stay. Location wise - very convenient. Price - it's $$$$. Food - it's ok. Their buffet has many selections. The pancakes are good. They don't accommodate reservations. Rooms - very kid friendly designs but has a small area. Hotel - overall would stay here again! For the love of my kids!!!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Korean first
Irvine, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

The short end of it:
Yes, it’s kid friendly but this place feels like a converted motel that is not worth the $500/night. Plus the themed rooms don’t have complete doors for the bathrooms it’s a sliding partition that doesn’t secure. The kids themed does not compensate for what it lacks. You’re way better staying elsewhere. Trust me. The two restaurants in the hotel any favors either. No redeeming qualities here.

The Long Story:
I would be embarrassed if I was management here. As we arrived we hear reservation attendant yell at another employee instructing them to "yell at that kid!!!! climbing". I expected a little bit of chaos since it is so kid friendly but this was utter chaos and zero crowd control but how about some professionalism? As the manager previously addressed this “chaos” is not fun nor is it part of the experience. Is unorganized and I agree the workers act like they don’t want to be bothered or help you. You are inconveniencing them. It's laughable I've never seen anything like it in my life. We killed some time until our room was ready at the pool. Seeing a woman who just arrived with us place an order for poolside food from the "poolside menu" we decided we'd do the same. I placed the order and politely requested that they take our food poolside as well with every intention to tip them well. The girl taking our order informed me that would be no problem and said we could get waters also. We waited. And waited. And waited. No food. I went up to the outdoor bar 40 min later where a young gentleman said "oh this has been here for awhile" I thought to myself this was probably just a fluke no one communicated this to him. I carted the food myself. No biggie. Then I asked if he could help me take out waters. He said that would be no problem. Went back 20 min late still no waters. I asked him if he was getting them and with a vacant stare said "oh yeah, your waters" as he started preparing them. A co worker chimed in to his defense and said "yeah we don't do poolside service". Confused because we had been seeing people to the right and to the left of us (at the pool) getting food taken to them, mentioned to her everyone else was getting their food at the pool. Her response? "Yeah that's only if a server is free to do so". Our "hotel" (most likely a converted motel room) sounded like the LA Marathon was above us all night. Plus the carpet in the hotel looked dirty the walls were extremely thin. No one was friendly or helpful there was no accountability and most employees acted like they were bothered by simple requests.

After checking in at the Legoland Hotel we were famished and looking forward to a good dinner. Our server brought a round of waters and was very attentive. I have to say the food was horrible. The kids pizza was overcooked, the salad was really the only thing I felt comfortable eating. The following morning at the same restaurant for buffet breakfast I asked for waters for our table and was told "oh we don't do that here". I was so perplexed since at the very same restaurant the night before we did get waters at our table. So let me get this straight for dinners water is given and for breakfast we’re on our own? Got it. There was absolutely no order it was really anything goes. Children darting left and right. Servers not really serving. Not quite sure what they were doing actually since they told me they don’t serve. I went to serve pancakes for my little girl and apparently none of the employees got the memo they were all out. I stood there for ten minutes until they were able to replenish them. The food? Horrible. I witnessed a fellow diner spit out her food into a napkin and say it was inedible. I kept waiting to be pleasantly surprised by something and each item I tasted was worse than the last. Everything looked stale. It’s one thing to just not like the taste of a few items but I avoided eating out of fear I would get sick from it just to give you an idea of the quality of the food. If I knew what I know I would have made reservations outside of the park for dinner and breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Sonia L
Frank I, General Manager at LEGOLAND California Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear “Sonia L,”

Thank you very much for your honest and constructive feedback.
I truly appreciate the time you’ve taken to share your experience with us. I cannot apologize enough for our failure to provide you and your family with exceptional service. From the unprofessionalism you experienced at the Front Desk to the hesitation from staff to assist you at the buffet, what you have experienced is the complete opposite of the standard I uphold for the Hotel. We have been open for a little over a year; however, we are still learning. Please know your feedback is truly valuable as it will serve as a training tool for our staff.

And though your first visit with us was less than desirable, I do hope you will consider visiting us again in the future to give us another chance. Thank you again.

Warm regards,
Frank Idris
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We like to stay here when we visit Lego land park. I like the fact when the kids get tired that we can just go back to our room to re energize before heading back out to the park. Free breakfast is a big plus but the queen size bed is a big turn off. The kids like their "own" space separate bedroom.

• Stayed April 2014
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed here over Memorial Day weekend. Our 7 year old son and 9 year old daughter really enjoyed it. They loved the lobby area and room with it's bunk bed area for kids. The lego theme is in every detail and is very well done. The elevator is fun and there are little surprises around every corner. We never got to use the pool as we ran out of time but I'm sure the kids would have enjoyed the floating lego bricks. They have some nice touches and it may be worth the expense to experience it once but we wouldn't stay again. I'm not sure if they were unprepared for the crowd but it was chaotic. You expect that considering there are excited kids running everywhere. It's a hotel built just for them after all! But I think they could have designed some crowd control into the concept. There are bottlenecks in the lobby, hallways, restaurant and elevator. The Bricks buffet was completely overwhelmed both at dinner and breakfast with many food items empty and not replenished. People were going in all different directions, cutting in front of you and I nearly had my plate knocked out of my hands at one point! However, the food quality and selections (what was there) were very good. Unfortunately the atmosphere and noise level was crazy. The other issue is that the hotel doesn't have it's own entrance to LEGOLAND. To pay $400/night for a room and then wait 25 minutes in line just to enter the park? I didn't expect that and assumed there would be some advantage to staying at a hotel with the same name. I guess they didn't want to deal with the entry/exit issues but I'm pretty sure Disneyland got that figured out. The crowd control issues and long lines continue throughout LEGOLAND as well. We did not even get in line on the rides that had 90 -120 minute wait times! Then after a day of dodging people and waiting in lines you are rewarded with more of the same at the hotel. But if you are really into Legos, then it may be all worthwhile.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Frank I, General Manager at LEGOLAND California Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear “Karen C,”

Thank you so much for choosing LEGOLAND California Resort for your most recent vacation and for your time taken to provide us with your feedback.

I’m pleased to hear your son and daughter enjoyed their stay at the Hotel! We’ve built this place with children in mind and it is music to our ears when we receive this type of feedback from our VIPs (the kids)! Memorial Day weekend is a very busy time for us here at the Resort and Hotel, and I am very sorry to hear that this had a negative effect on your stay. I truly appreciate you letting me know of the issues you experienced in regards to the crowding of the public areas. Please know we will look into these issues to help improve the experience of our guests.

Though your stay with us was a little chaotic, I truly hope you will consider visiting us again in the future! We do anticipate a very busy summer, but if you prefer less of a crowd, our off peak season starting in September is much more mellow and rates become much more affordable. Thank you again!

Regards,
Frank Idris
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This may just be the funnest hotel that I've ever stayed at. There were Lego pits with thousands of pieces of Lego encouraging kids to get creative. A disco elevator that plays disco music and has its own disco ball and lights once the doors close. A virtual Whoopie Cushion to keeps kids occupied as they wait for the elevator. Themed rooms: pirates, medieval or adventure themed. Each room had a kid's annex with bunk beds and a trundle bed so that the kids and parents could have their own separate spaces. There were lots of neat Lego sculptures throughout the hotel but also each room had its own decorative pieces. Super impressive what can be created with Lego! Works of art!

The hotel is perfect for families with young children who still require naps as it's right outisde (literally a 30 second walk) the main gates of the Legoland themepark. We could visit the park in the morning and then come back to the hotel for a nap and then return to the park later on in the afternoon. The hotel also had a good buffet restaurant with lots of healthy food options for a reasonable price.

For the Lego lover this hotel is a must.

Room Tip: The pirate-themed room is the way to go!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Tucson, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We took our 12 year old son and a buddy of his. I was concerned that they would think it too "kiddish", but they both had a BLAST! The breakfast buffet was absolutely incredible. Best buffet out of any hotel I've been to. We parked the car there Saturday afternoon and didn't get back into it until we left Tuesday afternoon. We enjoyed the SeaLife Aquarium, Legoland, Legoland Water Park and the hotel itself. LOVED the elevators. Most of the staff was great....some seemed a little tired, but it wasn't horrible. The only downside was the Queen size bed for the adult side of the room. My husband is 6'4" and it was an adjustment, but still fine. It was an incredible trip and we thoroughly enjoyed the hotel. Would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dwheeleraz
Hughson
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited the Legoland Hotel in May. We had 10, 6, 5, & 3 year old boys. We had a fantastic stay! The rooms are very nicely laid out with a queen bed & then bunk beds in another room. The decor is great. The boys loved the rooms. Overall the room is nice. I did feel that the room could use a little more storage. The bathroom door is a sliding door without a lock. Sometimes it's nice to be able to have a few moments of peace. The pool is great! Lots of chairs for parents. They even have movies on a huge screen for the kids to watch while their in the pool. The breakfast buffet is fantastic. Tons of options!!. The convince of being right next to Legoland is great! I would definitely recommend staying.

• Stayed May 2014