“Troubled Hotel will sink in a market saturated with hotels everywhere!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 17 January 2014

This new hotel is just bad! Needs real management present and trained employees! Yes Amber is pleasant until there is a problem, then not so much. I tried to check in early because my sister was in surgery at a nearby hospital. I was assisted by Sarah who was rude and only said come back at three as that is the only time to check in. Parking lot empty, breakfast empty, this says a lot about the hotel to begin with. I offered to pay an additional amount because I was very tired from getting my sister settled in at the hospital. Out came Amber like a bear i woke from hibernation! She had been asleep in the back office and came out to repeat the rude and unhelpful suggestions I had already heard from Sarah. go have lunch or go shopping and we can try to get you in after 1pm. It was now 10:30 and these girls wasted more then 30 minutes arguing with me when they could have charged me an extra $20 and had me out of their way, I had no choice but to go to another near by hotel. Hyatt House where they were happy to have me stay and gladly gave me the early check in and at no extra charge! This hotel needs service related training and employees who care about people!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Jade Lynn D
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for staying at the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad.

First of all, we are disappointed that your stay did not go as planned and that we could not accomodate you upon your initial arrival. The front desk will be reminded to try to be more helpful when rooms (specifically room types that were booked) are not available for early check-in.

This should have been handled in a better manner. As you can see, we have had many reviews with great guest experiences at the new hotel and that is our goal. We will work to make sure that all guests are pleased with their stay and feedback like yours is invaluable in that effort.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had the honor of staying at this new hotel during the Christmas season. In that time I was gifted with the wonderful pleasure of meeting Ms. Amber!!!!And let me tell you she is beyond words, as well truly the most valuable employee at the hotel.I took sometime to watch Amber as I waited for my room to be ready. She was flawless in how professional she was with all the guest but at the same time she gave all the warmth and comfort of home. In all my thirty years of travel I have never come across a young lady of her skill and professionalism. I have told every person I know about this hotel and AMBER of course. A note to the management if I had an employee like Amber working for me I would keep a close eye on her because someone is going to take her right from under your nose. I honestly tried but she turned me down. The hotel is new and perfect in every aspect that could be and should be expected from a new hotel. I will be back every time I am in town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Thank you for selecting the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach during your recent visit to Carlsbad and your kind feedback, especially regarding Amber.

Amber is dedicated to making sure every guest she reaches has an enjoyable and memorable stay. She is a true professional in our industry and we are fortunate to have her on our team.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

We REALLY liked this hotel. The rooms were very clean. The staff was great, especially Amber. With free breakfasts and a fridge and microwave in the room, we only ate out for dinner. And the free breakfast is an entire spread (sausage, eggs, pancakes, lots of breads & muffins, milk, 3 juices, biscuits & gravy, yogurt, cereal, etc.), not just the juice and muffins I usually get at other hotels. The pool was plenty warm enough for a swim in January. I'm 6'2" and the shower heads are at the perfect height (usually, they're built for my 5'2" wife). I wish the hotel was a little closer to the beach, but it's perfect for Legoland (one exit away). Great hotel!!

• Stayed: January 2014
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Thank you for staying at the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach and we appreciate your feedback.

We are pleased that you and your family were able to enjoy the Express Start breakfast and its wide variety of options. Also, it is great to read that you were able to enjoy the pool.

With the shower design, we did want to make sure height of taller guests were taken into account and that you benefitted from that.

Thanks again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Planning early is a must for family vacations especially during New Year's. Rates are always fluctuating for hotels so I made a reservation early and got a great rate for multiple rooms! We stayed in many other holiday inns that week so I knew that I needed the confirmation numbers which secured my reservation. However, I got to this Holiday Inn and was told I couldn't get the rooms at the same rate and would have to pay a higher price. I had a confirmation number and insisted that I should get the rate I had reserved. After "negotiating" my reservation I was then told that there wasn't enough rooms there for us and that I should leave since the entire reservation had been cancelled. I didn't even know they could cancel our reservation! After calling multiple places we found a hotel that could accommodate my family. When I called a few hours later at this Holiday Inn, the rate was $55 higher than what I had reserved for each room. I guess making a few extra bucks on the rooms was worth more than a family's satisfaction. I think they are a new hotel so maybe they are not fully aware of customer service. Either way, thank you Holiday Inn Express for throwing us out in the cold and ruining everyone's mood for New Year's.

Room Tip: No tips because I was not able to check in :(
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank BeachLover2828
sid g, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

We appreciate guest selecting the hotel, but she has misrepresented facts and tried to violate IHG rules. Guest had 3 bookings and tried to use employee rate card for all three reservations. IHG rules say that you can only have 2 employee rate rooms per employee card during one stay and guest only had one card. That is why the third room's rate was higher. Hotel was not at fault. Do not know if guest was aware of rules or not, but would think so since they indicated that they stay at Holiday Inns all the time. Hotel not at fault and was simply following IHG rules during sold out dates.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Check-in took a long time because only one person manned the desk. The property is only a few months old, so everything was new. But my king-bed room had a bathroom with issues. The hanger on the door fell off, and the shower doors kept falling off the rails, so they were hard to maneuver. We had a problem with WiFi reception, and so did my sister who also stayed on the same floor. The property is conveniently located just off the freeway and is across the street from a shopping center. The hotel has a very good hot tub. The pool is of a nice size, but the water was a bit too cold in the morning even though it was heated. The attendant said it was heated to 81 degrees, but that's too cold unless you're doing lap swimming.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
sid g, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback.

We are disappointed to hear that you and your sister had trouble connecting to the Internet as we have received sterling reviews regarding this service provided at the hotel. We will check with the service provider that all access points are correctly working.

We are pleased you enjoyed the hot tub and appreciate the suggestion to keep the pool temp higher.

Thank you again and we hope to see you next time you visit Carlsbad

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here 3 days during our holiday break. When we checked in, the lady working at the front desk was really rude and placed us in the Handicap accessible room! It was a clean room, nice bed, towels were good and we loved the space in the shower, but, it was right by the door and when could hear everything! Then we met Karen, she was very, very nice! She made the stay worth while! Everyone else had an attitude, maybe because they had to work on the holiday. The breakfast lacked fruit, and it was so many people there that we had to get up extra early to get breakfast. I could tell this was also a hotel favored by families with children.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 118, it's a Handicap accessible room and right by the side entrance door.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cmeddens
sid g, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for making us part of your vacation upon your trip to Carlsbad.

We are disappointed that your initial encounter with staff didn't go as planned, but Karen was there to correct this. She is a true professional in the hospitality industry and is very prideful in her work.

As per the room assignment, this is something that we will continue to work on to make sure guests get the type of room they desire, subject to availability.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 1 January 2014

New hotel and interesting layout. long halls, rooms clean and beds very comfy. breakfast standard faire, nothing exciting, check in was somewhat laborious, and had to wait while main person got off the phone-(actually on break,but they could not say that)got a room overlooking pool which can be noisey , but thankfully not at night. parking is easy and plentiful. wi fi is excellent.all in all will def return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for selecting the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach during your recent visit to Carlsbad and also, thank you for your invaluable comments and feedback.

Our goal is to provide the best service and product in our market, while giving our guests great value. We are constantly working on enhancing the breakfast options so it doesn't feel standard.

Also, making sure the hotel provided excellent WiFi capability was an important goal of the hotel and we are pleased that you had no issues with the service.

Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you soon!