Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach
Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
“Awesome stay”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during Spring break with our three boys. Clean, modern rooms and breakfast area. Wonderful selection for breakfast, I looooooved the muffins. They had a few different kinds, but lime or lemon ones with sugar and almonds on top were out of this worlds. I wish I know where they get them from or the recipe. Yum! Will come again on our next vacation.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the parking lot was a bit noisy due to main street proximity.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for selecting the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach during your recent visit.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the muffins! Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

So after a long day of Legoland, I and my two second-graders had snuggled into our comfy bed In our modern and clean room in a pleasant, convenient, and affordable hotel, the Holiday Inn Express Carlsbad Beach. We had been asleep nearly an hour.

Then: Bam! Projectile vomit everywhere! OMG! One kid was literally still vomiting all over his bed and bedmate when I called the front desk for assistance at 10pm. The girl who answered the front desk phone of the Holiday Inn Express Carlsbad Beach seemed harried (I was harried). I patted the kids through the vomiting, changed jammies, wiped off lovies, stripped the bed, tucked the kids into mine, chucked the soiled sheets out to the hall, wiped down the bathroom... And waited. And waited. Called again. And waited. And waited. Called a third time. And waited. Finally, over 45 minutes later, someone arrived with a luggage cart of naked bedding, which I unloaded myself. The delivery girl explained that she was 16, alone, and the Holiday Inn Express Carlsbad Beach was overbooked to boot. I felt sorry for her so I tipped her and she left--only to find that she gave me a king-sized bottom sheet (for my queen bed), two twin-sized duvets without covers, no top sheets, no mattress pad, and two pillows without cases. So I'm super uncomfortable, pukeanoid, my room stinks of vomit, and I'm incredulous that the Holiday Inn Express Carlsbad Beach would be so poorly managed.

My advice to you: it's all good as long as your kids have iron stomachs. Otherwise--maybe spring for someplace that can hire two inexperienced, underpaid staff members with zero job experience.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Amanda S
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for selecting this new hotel during your recent visit to Carlsbad.

We apologize for the delay in getting towels to you. This is something that should have had immediate assistance, but we did not deliver in a timely manner. We will work with staff to make sure these thingsare resoved in a more efficient manner.

As for the staffing on the day you noted, unfortunately, our Front Desk manager was supposed to be working with the young person who was at the desk. Unfortunately, she called in sick the morning of and we weren't able to have a second person at the desk that evening. I know this doesn't remedy the situation you incurred, but we do typically have two people working in the eveningsand plan on continuing to do so due to the busy nature of the hotel.

Thank you again!
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We had a 2 nite stay, loved the rooms , very spacious and extremely clean. The breakfast was really good, fresh food & great service. I would definitely recommend this property to everyone. Also internet was better than most other hotels.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jui d
Thank you for selecting this new hotel and for your valuable feedback.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you soon!
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Had the best night's sleep in a long time in this all-new hotel. Large room, not too fussy or over decorated, everything was spotless, room, bathroom and public areas. Very nice breakfast in the modern lobby with plenty of places to sit. Staff extremely helpful and there was coffee or tea for the taking in the lobby later on if you fancied some, instead of the coffee maker in the room. The hotel is perfectly located, close to the highway, downtown Carlsbad, the great outlet mall yet away from noise. Highly recommended

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for staying at the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach during your recent visit to the San Diego area.

We appreciate your kind feedback as we are focused on improving our service and product.

It is great to read that you had a comfortable night's sleep and found the room to be of good size. We are pleased you enjoyed our breakfast offerings in our spacious lobby.

The hotel's location does allow you to enjoy Legoland, and the nearby beach, with plenty of dining options around the hotel.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!
Panama City Beach, Florida
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I made reservations for Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach, CA online, through Merlin with my Employee ID for 2 rooms. My cousin also had reservations for this hotel through Merlin with his Employee ID for 2 rooms. In addition, I called the property directly to add an additional room to the reservation. When we asked for the rate, the person said it would be the employee rate and the confirmation number would remain the same. This is weeks before our arrival. Prior to our arrival at your hotel, I called the property to confirm our reservations. The person confirmed/agreed that we had 5 rooms at the employee rate and everything was ready for us. Some time later, I arrived at the property with my entire family. There were a total of 17 people in our party. The desk clerk, her nametag said Amber pulled up our reservations. Amber asked me about the employee rates and said we only had 4 rooms. I then explained to her about calling the property personally and adding the 5th room under the employee rate. She walked away and went into an office area for about 20 minutes before she came back to the desk. She told us all 5 rooms needed Employee Cards and we agreed that yes they did, as we had one for each room. She then went back to the office area for another 20-25 minutes before returning. During this time, she did not answer any incoming phone calls. There were at least 3 other guests behind us in line waiting. After her second trip to the office area and yet ANOTHER 20-25 minutes, Amber comes back all of a sudden changes her mind and said we could not use the discounts. Her excuse being corporate policy does not allowing us having discounted for that many rooms. So we cooperated and Amber once again refused. We called corporate and Amber refused to talk to them. Corporate even then called the property but she refused to answer the phone. Here is where it gets funny. She comes back from the back room AGAIN where she was talking to her “Manager” and tells us to avoid any confrontation, that they are going to cancel our reservations and we should find another place to stay. Being tired from driving and having kids and grandparents with us, we decided to just pay full price for the hotel rooms. Once again Amber refused to give us rooms. While trying to figure out all this mess so late at night, the police came in since Amber called them without our knowledge. Amber then requested to speak to them privately in a room without us, after which the police came out and told us that their hands were tied and they had to follow the desk clerk’s orders and basically pack up our stuff and leave! Reason being, the manager did not want to give us a discount and even after we agreed to pay pull price they decided we were not welcome there. So we were obligated to pack up our things and leave after 2 hours of trying to check in with valid confirmation numbers for reservations that were promptly cancelled. NEVER IN OUR LIFES HAVE WE BEEN SO INSULTED FROM THIS ONE DESK CLERK AND MANAGEMENT. As all this was going on, there were so many customers waiting in line and the police had to tell her to take care of the other guests. The customers waiting in line were also complaining about the horrible customer service and they even spoke with authorities on the injustice we had encountered to which the police could only respond with that their hands were tied. Like the previous post this hotel needs to learn about customer service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank DSPatel
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
This is the third review from this who is going out of their way to tarnish our reputation. They knowingly violated IHG policy regarding the Employee Card and rate plan and they are giving an incorrect view of the hotel to many future guests since they were "caught" trying to beat the system. As you can see, an overwhelming number of our reviews have been very positive.

They also fail to mention why the police was asked to come to the hotel. They were being very verbally aggressive toward FD agent Amber, calling her derogatory names and personally insulting her. They were also holding up the check-in line by not ending their fit against Amber. As the hotel was sold out, and honest guests were waiting, a decision was taken to ask them to leave the hotel.

We are here to provide the absolute best service and value we can, while running a hotel in an honest manner.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 January 2014

This new hotel is just bad! Needs real management present and trained employees! Yes Amber is pleasant until there is a problem, then not so much. I tried to check in early because my sister was in surgery at a nearby hospital. I was assisted by Sarah who was rude and only said come back at three as that is the only time to check in. Parking lot empty, breakfast empty, this says a lot about the hotel to begin with. I offered to pay an additional amount because I was very tired from getting my sister settled in at the hospital. Out came Amber like a bear i woke from hibernation! She had been asleep in the back office and came out to repeat the rude and unhelpful suggestions I had already heard from Sarah. go have lunch or go shopping and we can try to get you in after 1pm. It was now 10:30 and these girls wasted more then 30 minutes arguing with me when they could have charged me an extra $20 and had me out of their way, I had no choice but to go to another near by hotel. Hyatt House where they were happy to have me stay and gladly gave me the early check in and at no extra charge! This hotel needs service related training and employees who care about people!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jade Lynn D
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for staying at the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad.

First of all, we are disappointed that your stay did not go as planned and that we could not accomodate you upon your initial arrival. The front desk will be reminded to try to be more helpful when rooms (specifically room types that were booked) are not available for early check-in.

This should have been handled in a better manner. As you can see, we have had many reviews with great guest experiences at the new hotel and that is our goal. We will work to make sure that all guests are pleased with their stay and feedback like yours is invaluable in that effort.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I had the honor of staying at this new hotel during the Christmas season. In that time I was gifted with the wonderful pleasure of meeting Ms. Amber!!!!And let me tell you she is beyond words, as well truly the most valuable employee at the hotel.I took sometime to watch Amber as I waited for my room to be ready. She was flawless in how professional she was with all the guest but at the same time she gave all the warmth and comfort of home. In all my thirty years of travel I have never come across a young lady of her skill and professionalism. I have told every person I know about this hotel and AMBER of course. A note to the management if I had an employee like Amber working for me I would keep a close eye on her because someone is going to take her right from under your nose. I honestly tried but she turned me down. The hotel is new and perfect in every aspect that could be and should be expected from a new hotel. I will be back every time I am in town.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Thank you for selecting the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach during your recent visit to Carlsbad and your kind feedback, especially regarding Amber.

Amber is dedicated to making sure every guest she reaches has an enjoyable and memorable stay. She is a true professional in our industry and we are fortunate to have her on our team.