“Great Hotel for the $$$$”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
“Great Hotel for the $$$$”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here so we could be close to the Legoland. Well worth the money. Greeted by Jeff at the front desk. Great employee & an asset to any hotel. If only all hotel employees were as charming as he is. Helped us out with all of our questions. Hotel is clean & rooms are spacious. Great pool for my daughter to play in. Breakfast was good too. No one should complain about it. Its free & it was good. Over all ........ would stay here again & reccomend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bella S
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for selecting the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach during your recent visit to the San Diego area.

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that you found the hotel to be clean and your room to be spacious.

Also, we are delighted that you enjoyed the Express Start breakfast and the pool.

Finally, Jeff is a great asset to the hotel's team and we appreciate your comments regarding his professionalism during your stay!

We hope to see you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The room was a decent size, clean and comfortable. Location to Legoland was about a 7-10 min drive depending on traffic. What I didn't like was several things: The front desk clerk told me i wasnt going to earn reward points for my stay because I wasn't a platinum reward member when we checked in, apparently policies changed since the last time I stayed in a Holiday Inn a couple months ago. 2nd, breakfast was nasty! Eggs were sloppy, sausage was soaking in grease. Repetitive menu, absolutely no changes day to day. Last but not least we of course picked Holiday Inn because we were taking our children to Legoland. With a whole day at the park and dinner, we head to Hotel and relax only to find out that the pool closes at 9pm? I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn where the pool closes so early! So if you are planning to explore at Legoland until 5-7pm, it is best to eat in and enjoy the pool while you can or pick another location where the pool is open later.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Morrira1
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you for choosing the newest IHG property in San Diego County.

We appreciate your feedback and will work on rotating the breakfast items more often and to make sure that food is prepared to your standards. With the new rollout of breakfast items coming soon, our guests will have even more breakfast choices, including more healthy items.

Our pool does close at 9 pm due to the nature of the hotel with the pool being in the middle of the courtyard and rooms surrounding the pool. We want to avoid noise complaints during sleeping hours, so that is why pool closes at 9.
Cypress, California
Reviewed 14 April 2014

They canceled my reservation without even calling me. Arrived to find out I didn't have a room and then they were sold out! Bad customer service. Didn't try to help me. Worst hotel ever they just apologized and put me on my way. How do you do that to a family who drives out there over 1.5 hours? They obviously didn't care and it seems that they canceled me to accommodate someone else. despicable!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Michelle I
Thank you for selecting Carlsbad's newest hotel upon your visit to the area.

Unfortunately, we were not able to accommodate you due to a declined credit card and the fact that your booking through the Central Reservation System came with an invalid phone number (11111111 to be exact) and no email address. It is our hotel policy (and many other hotels' policies) to authorize the provided credit card on the morning of the day of arrival to make sure the card has sufficient funds. If a credit card declines, we contact the guest via phone/email, but in your situation, we had neither. Since hotel had no way to protect itself from a potential cancellation or no-show by you, we had no choice but to decline the reservation.

It is unfortunate that this occurred, but hotel had no way to reach you and had to make sure that on the sold out night that it was, that all rooms were reserved.
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is a fairly new HIE and is very clean, friendly and well located for the area. Team is very friendly and helpful to your request. Large breakfast area, great rooms typical of HEI. Nice sit down restrurant directly across the parking lot for ease. Access to I5 is very easy and there are numerous restrurants within 2-3 miles, both fast food or sit down server.
Only down side is that this location does not provide room door newspaper (available in the lobby if not out) or welcome gift to priority members, which makes you feel as if you are not rewarded for loyalty.
Overall I would stay at this location if in the area again. Friendly staff makes it worth while at the least.

Room Tip: ask for a coner room if availalbe.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank derrick b
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for selecting Carlsbad's newest hotel during your recent visit to the area.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback.

Also, it is great that you were able to take advantage of the hotel's location.

We hope to see you again!
Hesperia, California
Reviewed 1 April 2014

My husband and I booked a room at this hotel for our Valentine's Day getaway. Upon arrival we noted that the hotel was very overpriced as it was really nothing fancy, it was all remodeled so I am sure the price reflected the remodel. We have stayed in much nicer hotels for less money, but given the fact that it was Valentine's Day weekend our options were limited. (There is a very nice Motel 6 right across the street at a third of the price for those who are seeking an affordable room in this area) When we checked out they told us there was a $250 fee charged to our room for smoking, well my husband and I are non-smokers so this was very upsetting to us, they stated that the housekeeping staff said they thought we were smoking and with that the payment was deducted from our account. IF YOU ARE CONCERNED ABOUT HAVING YOUR CREDIT CARD FALSELY CHARGED THEN STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL. We asked to speak to the person who authorized this charge and they would not give us a name and told us that no one was available. In addition this hotel was very noisy and children were running up and down the halls yelling very early in the morning. So overall this whole experience was very disappointing and was a huge ripoff!! Stay at the brand new Motel 6 across the street you will get much more value for your buck!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LMatkinson
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear LMatkinson,

Regards,

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during Spring break with our three boys. Clean, modern rooms and breakfast area. Wonderful selection for breakfast, I looooooved the muffins. They had a few different kinds, but lime or lemon ones with sugar and almonds on top were out of this worlds. I wish I know where they get them from or the recipe. Yum! Will come again on our next vacation.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the parking lot was a bit noisy due to main street proximity.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for selecting the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach during your recent visit.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and that you liked the muffins! Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you soon!
Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

So after a long day of Legoland, I and my two second-graders had snuggled into our comfy bed In our modern and clean room in a pleasant, convenient, and affordable hotel, the Holiday Inn Express Carlsbad Beach. We had been asleep nearly an hour.

Then: Bam! Projectile vomit everywhere! OMG! One kid was literally still vomiting all over his bed and bedmate when I called the front desk for assistance at 10pm. The girl who answered the front desk phone of the Holiday Inn Express Carlsbad Beach seemed harried (I was harried). I patted the kids through the vomiting, changed jammies, wiped off lovies, stripped the bed, tucked the kids into mine, chucked the soiled sheets out to the hall, wiped down the bathroom... And waited. And waited. Called again. And waited. And waited. Called a third time. And waited. Finally, over 45 minutes later, someone arrived with a luggage cart of naked bedding, which I unloaded myself. The delivery girl explained that she was 16, alone, and the Holiday Inn Express Carlsbad Beach was overbooked to boot. I felt sorry for her so I tipped her and she left--only to find that she gave me a king-sized bottom sheet (for my queen bed), two twin-sized duvets without covers, no top sheets, no mattress pad, and two pillows without cases. So I'm super uncomfortable, pukeanoid, my room stinks of vomit, and I'm incredulous that the Holiday Inn Express Carlsbad Beach would be so poorly managed.

My advice to you: it's all good as long as your kids have iron stomachs. Otherwise--maybe spring for someplace that can hire two inexperienced, underpaid staff members with zero job experience.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Amanda S
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for selecting this new hotel during your recent visit to Carlsbad.

We apologize for the delay in getting towels to you. This is something that should have had immediate assistance, but we did not deliver in a timely manner. We will work with staff to make sure these thingsare resoved in a more efficient manner.

As for the staffing on the day you noted, unfortunately, our Front Desk manager was supposed to be working with the young person who was at the desk. Unfortunately, she called in sick the morning of and we weren't able to have a second person at the desk that evening. I know this doesn't remedy the situation you incurred, but we do typically have two people working in the eveningsand plan on continuing to do so due to the busy nature of the hotel.

Thank you again!