“I love Holiday Inn Express--but the room at this one had a foul odor”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Los Angeles, California
“I love Holiday Inn Express--but the room at this one had a foul odor”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Holiday Inn Express is my favorite hotel chain for last minute stays--it is the most consistent and reliable I have found--and it is always clean.
Air conditioning always works well.
The windows always open wide.
It is like going to a McDonalds--you always know what it is going to be like--Internet is easy to use--often they don't even require a password.
So, i arrived at this one late coming in from Mexico--made the reservation while i was at In-N-Out nearby--
When i entered the room i was assaulted by a truly foul odor--it smelled as if someone chain smoked in the room for about 3 days and then the hotel staff went in with some kind of industrial smell remover and somehow the chemicals spilled out and mixed together to really make a horrible scent--I am exaggerating, but it was a huge bummer--and the hotel staff refused to give me a room change...they said they had no other rooms in my class of service--

Room Tip: Check the room out before you finish checking in!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Maxwell P
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for selecting this new property during your recent visit to Carlsbad.

We apologize that the room had the odor that you mentioned and that we did not have another room available as were sold out that night. We will consult with the housekeeping staff that a room must be odor-free before it is deemed rentable and will look into what transpired with the specific scent you mentioned

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Hotel is new. Easy access to walk on the beach. Had ocean view. Front desk was honest about the view obstructed by houses but if we went back, we would get the ocean view again. Shopping just across the street - room had refrigerator and microwave and wifi. We didn't use room service and lots of restaurants were nearby. Benihanna Restaurant adjacent to hotel which we heard was excellent but didn't try it. Perfect place for r & r

Room Tip: We always prefer upper rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again!
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is located just north of Poinsettia. Take Poinsettia Lane down to the beach! The State beach has 20 minute free parking in the camping area. Go north on Carlsbad Blvd to find the walk along the ocean. The hotelblocation is great and the staff very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank patonfairmont
Thank you for selecting the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach during your recent time in Carlsbad.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and were bale to enjoy the many local attractions near the hotel.

We hope to see you again!
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I had to work in the Carlsbad area and it was wonderful to come to the hotel after a long day and be so well taken care of. the staff was great and would go out of the way to help with any request from a nice place to eat to a quite place at the beach. the pool and spa were excellent and very well maintained. If your in this area you can't go wrong staying here. the rooms are very clean and you can melt away in the beds. I will be back soon!!

Room Tip: I loved my corner room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank willie w
Thank you for selecting our new hotel and for your feedback regarding your stay.

We are thrilled that the staff was able to give you fine dining suggestions, as well as local beach information.

We are pleased you had a comfortable night's sleep and were able to relax at the hotel pool and spa.

We look forward to seeing you again!
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I live in Carlsbad and had to evacuate due to a fire in the area. Fortunately, although this hotel is just 4 minutes from my house, it was not in danger so it was open. I wanted to be close to my house but that eliminated many options because most hotels in the area had to evacuate as well. I decided to go with this hotel because of its proximity to the freeway since we had to go to work the next morning. I usually spend a long time reading Trip Advisor reviews before I book a hotel but I could not do that this time. I knew time was of the essence and that many people were in my situation so I reserved 2 rooms by phone. I must have gotten the last 2 rooms they had available because by the time I got to the hotel they were turning people away. Their customer service was outstanding at such a difficult time. The hotel waived their no pet policy for that night for guests displaced by the fire so I was able to bring my cat. Frankly, they could have charged me almost anything for a pet fee given that I did not have a choice. I found their $30 fee to be very reasonable. The staff called hotels in the area so that when they had to turn people away they could send them someplace that had rooms available. They were very caring during such a difficult time and I will be forever grateful. The hotel itself was great. There is a Benihana's in the same parking lot. It is near the I-5, the beach and several stores and restaurants (Ralph's, Rite Aid, Starbucks, fish place, pizza place, fast food, etc). The 2 rooms we got were very clean and had a microwave and fridge. I am very picky about cleanliness and this place was excellent. I will definitely recommend it to our visitors.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback.

We hope that all is all right with you and your family. It was, and always will be remembered as a trying time when the City of Carlsbad really came together. If there is anything we can do for you now or in the future to assist, please let us know
CA
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Hotel is a short walk to the ocean. It's very pleasant to drive along the pacific coast highway that is within one minute of the hotel. You can drive either south to Del Mar or north to Dana Point. Hotel staff is warm and friendly and the parking lot and lobby are clean and bright. This is actually a nice area with canyon and ocean nearby. A pleasant stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank happyvaio
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for selecting the new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach during your recent visit to the San Diego area.

We are delighted you were able to visit so many tourist destinations by taking advantage of central location. Thank you for your feedback regarding the condition of the hotel and staff service.

We hope to see you again the next time you are in the area!
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed here for a work trip. From the walk up to the front, the place was better than I expected. Landscaping was nice, building was new, front desk staff were friendly. Odd elevators, they run separate of the other. The guest hallways were clean and new, and the room was clean with all the amenities you may need. Even a fridge and microwave. Had a pool, small fitness center, and computer/printer for printing documents which saw but didn't use. Will definitely go back if I have the need to stay in the area again.

Room Tip: As for a corner unit, on the third floor, as you do get some noise through the walls.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank socox6363
GRManager751, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Carlsbad Beach, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for selecting Carlsbad's newest hotel, the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Carlsbad Beach, during your recent visit to the area.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback as we are always trying to improve our service and product.

We hope to see you again!