“Very good food......”

Price range: US$8 - US$11
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: We are a friendly family style cafe serving breakfast and lunch daily. Established in 1991. Our attentive staff will make your visit enjoyable and hassle free. We have outside seating (dog friendly) bike racks, kids under 10 eat free*. We strive to purchase locally and offer you the freshest products available at reasonable prices.
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I don't know if this is the best breakfast in Carlsbad but it is hard to imagine a better one. We had crab cakes Benedict sitting out in the sunshine. They were absolutely superb. The waitress was very helpful and friendly and Al himself stopped by briefly to make sure everything was okay.

wanacarlsbad, Owner at Al's Cafe In The Village, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your opinions are valuable to us. al

Reviewed 12 June 2013

Al's is a great beach city restaurant with good old time cooking and service with a smile. The menu has most everything you could want for breakfast and lunch and if you want something special, the staff will do everything they can to accommodate you. The restaurant is dated but nice and clean. The only down thing was the single restroom that is clean but really in need of maintenance or better yet a total remodel. If you are in the Carlsbad area, I would highly recommend you go to Al's for a good meal and a lot of friendly smiles.

1  Thank Art B
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Pumpkin pancakes are their thing, service is friendly and the rest is average, friendly service and reasonable prices

Reviewed 22 April 2013

I visited Al’s with my boyfriend in February of 2013. While I was getting ready one day, my boyfriend decided to look up a good LOCAL run place for breakfast. He read a little about Al’s and away we went! When we first walked in, we felt kinda awkward as it seemed like the other diners there knew we weren’t local. They definitely weren’t rude...it just felt a bit awkward. I was surprised by the different choices they had...all of it sounded so good! My boyfriend was offered coffee and I wasn’t, which I thought was a little weird, but I think it was just a miscommunication on my part. Didn’t bother me. Anyway, the food was absolutely delicious! And there was plenty of it...we felt stuffed! We would definitely visit again!

Reviewed 8 March 2013

We saw good reviews about this place on line, so wanted to check it out. Its a small diner with a hyper, fun waitress who just made us so welcome. When I said I am a vegetarian she got me a tasty grilled vegetable sandwich. The burger and chicken sandwich my family had were so delicious too. The owner makes his own toffee and we got sample some of the flavors.
Wonderful place and run by by excellent people.