“Good hotel near legoland but that train is really annoying...”

West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I largely agree with many of the other reviews - the room is clean and big, there is a free hot breakfast, easy to get DVD movies and the hotel is a 4 minute drive from both the legoland and the beach. It is also just off I-5 so it is supereasy to jump on and off the highway.

But the hotel is literally next to a gas station on one side and the coaster train station on the other side. I was woken up a couple of times by the horn of the train as it passed through the area and the train runs through at least every hour until 10 pm.

So if you are going to Carlsbad just to hang out at Legoland, I recommend staying at one of the hotels near legoland. We like the Grand Pacific Palisades - you can get huge 2 bedroom suites for nearly the same price that we paid at the West Inn. The rooms and amenities are not nearly as nice, but you can walk to Legoland and it is quiet!

1  Thank BigLeagueC

Reviewed 24 October 2013

It is so nice to stay somewhere where all the staff seem to be enjoying their work and really pleased you are staying with them. We came back to West Inn and Suites for our sixth anniversary and were greeted in the room with ballons and chilled champaign. Even with children around (they are very close to Legoland) the doors and walls were thick enough to make it completely quiet in our room. This is our third stay here and likely not our last.

Room Tip: We haven't had a bad room here so I can't be of much help.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Saw the good reviews so decided to take a chance. I can see why the reviews were all good. The room was great and the service was excellent. The free breakfast was very good and so were the cookies and milk at night. We especially enjoyed the free happy hour fro 5 to 6. This hotel was very welcoming and we enjoyed every minute. A great value also.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We recently visited West Inn & Suites as a family of 5. My children are 4, 6, and 8 years old. We started our holiday at the Legoland Hotel for the first couple of nights and planned to transfer to the West Inn & Suites because of the better price and free breakfast. Even though we loved our stay at the Legoland Hotel we are so glad we switched hotels.

My husband feels this was the best hotel we have ever stayed at. He loved that all the rooms had king beds. This made it so much easier with 3 little kids. There was a pool and hot tub. The pool was kept at a warm temperature which made it awesome for an October visit. They had plenty of towels, awesome life jackets for the kids, refreshments by the pool, and some pool toys. The free breakfasts had plenty of selection and it alternated so you were not eating the same thing every morning on a longer stay. My husbands favorite part was the complimentary fresh cookies and milk in the evenings. He looked forward to that.

I was very impressed with the staff. They had a free shuttle which was prompt and accommodating. They picked us up outside of their regular hours with a smile on their face. They had a library of books to enjoy, complimentary free dvd's that you can take back to the room and watch on the dvd player. The rooms had a large fridge, coffee maker and microwave. Everything was very clean. My husband likes his privacy so we never asked for our room to be cleaned but they still left a basket of clean towels and replacement bathroom amenities by our door. They have a small "pantry" of items to buy in case you need anything. Refreshments, common medicines, etc. The hotel itself provided a stress-free, cozy environment that was very accommodating and accepting of young children.

The hotel Bistro West which is associated with the hotel is AMAZING, and I highly recommend. It is reasonably priced considering the amazing service and food quality.

For those considering Legoland Hotel or West Inn & Suites, heres my opinions. Legoland Hotel was more expensive, the restaurants also more expensive, and with no free breakfast options. The hotel was designed with kids in mind. My kids loved the interactiveness of the hotel. They could play legos in the lobby, dance in the elevator, and go and hug lego mascots every time they turned around. It was right outside the Legoland gates so you didn't have to get in a shuttle to arrive, and you got early entrance into Legoland (for only a handful of rides). The rooms at Legoland had a bunk bed with trundle which was great for 3 kids, but the "adult bed" wasn't that great. The themed rooms made the rooms very interesting though and kids loved playing with the legos in the room provided by hotel. The Legoland pool was zero entry and had a Lifeguard. She tended to yell at people a lot though. As a mom, I felt more stressed at the Legoland Hotel. Common areas were way busier (lobby, restaurants, etc) My kids were just more hyper and stimulated all the time. There was no quiet place. No hot tub at the end of the day. It was an "experience" in itself to stay at the hotel, and my kids loved it, but "2 nights was enough".
If your kids are LEGO fans then i would still experience Legoland Hotel for a night or two.
If you have children that need some quiet time, or react negatively to too much stimulation I would not recommend Legoland Hotel.

West Inn was amazing, and I wish they had them in every city we visit. :)

1  Thank jennifergermain
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The West Inn in Carlsbad, CA, the place to get a good night sleep in clean, comfortable beds. The staff was polite, always smiling and helpful. My Mom is a vegan and they prepared food items for her that were not on the regular menu that day. The card reader for my door was not working to open the door. In no time, the repair person was there, had the battery changed and scanned a set of new cards. Could not ask for better service. Never making any excuses. A unique and convenient place to stay off I-5. You will not be sorry.

Room Tip: The room you choose depends on how many king size beds you want in your room. But the beds are abso...
2  Thank soekme2013
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Read the reviews, and found everything to be as advertised. Great value, clean, and quiet.

The service was 5 stars. Here are a few examples:
1) They called me a few days in advance to check-in with me and see if I had any questions/etc
2) They have a long list of great (up-2-date) movie DVDs and family games that you can borrow from the front desk. We found a movie for the kids and a movie for ourselves!
3) Lemon water at the pool
4) Books and more games in the lobby

The shuttle service to legoland was smooth and easy. Super-friendly staff.

Also, we ate at the next-door Bistro, and found the food, service, and value to be excellent there as well. We would certainly recommend this hotel highly to others!

Enjoy --
Dan

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on the way to a conference. We wanted something easy as we planned to sight see. The good: The room was large and the bed was very comfortable. 2 Tvs and a seating area with desk. 2 large wardrobes and drawers. Coffee machine and refrigerator in room. You can borrow movies to watch. the staff was very helpful and friendly. The bad: right next to train tracks. This didn't bother us so much as we were on east coast time so we were up early and in bed early. The train would wake you if you wanted to sleep in. The hot breakfast was not good. It reminded me of hospital food. The second day my husband and I ate bananas and toast as we were scared of everything else. No wifi even though I think it was advertised on my room package. The workout room was NoT worth it. 1 elliptical, I treadmill and a weight machine. The elliptical is covered in rust. BUT if you are a runner, beautiful running trail 5 minutes from hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple