“Just what we needed!”

West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Reviewed 27 September 2008

We have been to the Carlsbad area many times to go to Legoland and stayed at the Grand Pacific Palisades previously and been disappointed on many levels. This time we did our homework and read the reviews for West Inn & Suites. It was a wonderful change! We stayed in a King Suite, which has one king size bed and a separate area with a sofa bed, tables, desk & chair. It also has a very nice bathroom with Aveda products, a wet bar with a "pod" type coffee and tea maker, excellent large coffee mugs, microwave and fridge. The room had two televisions and plenty of storage. The bed was wonderfully comfortable. Our 12 year-old said the sofa bed was the most comfortable sofa bed he'd slept in, and he's had to sleep in many over the years during our travels, so that says a lot.

We liked having laundry facilities available that had a new, energy efficient washer and dryer, not the older, top loading kind you find in most hotels. We also enjoyed the breakfast buffet, but being vegetarians, we would have liked to have had some more choices, like organic whole grain breads, organic yogurt, trans fat free peanut butter, nuts and organic granola to add to the selections. It seems the choices of bacon, sausage, eggs and waffles did not match the luxury and quality of the rest of the hotel and all its details. I suppose they would have to raise the price for the rooms then though as the breakfast was included. The AAA price is an excellent deal as it is for this great property. We will stay there again on our next trip.

There are newer reviews for West Inn & Suites Carlsbad

Reviewed 23 September 2008

This is our annual summer vacation & before i book my stay in a hotel- I count on Trip Advisor for reviews & recommendations. This was the 2nd time that I picked the #1 choice In the hotel category listed in Trip Advisor & it never failed to disappoint me. I would like to thank all those who have posted their reviews bec. if not for you guys, I won't be able to experience our awesome stay @ the West Inn & Suites!

I treated my kids to Legoland & that's how I chose this boutique hotel. It is very close to Legoland & the beach. We all had a blast. Everything about the hotel & it's staff are above average! Having come from Las Vegas & is currently working in a 5Star hotel - im truly impressed with it. The price is kinda high (again comparing to Vegas standards) but I'm not complaining! The cookies & milk at night time is a hit with my kids! The free continental breakfast in the morning is real decent as well.

I will definitely come back in this hotel in a heart beat. My kids couldn't stop talking about our wonderful trip here & that's all that matters to me thinking that they really have an awesome time!

Reviewed 17 September 2008

Great service, friendly staff who went out of their way to accomodate us. Excellent shuttle service- available 6am-8pm at any time to anywhere within 5 mile radius. Comfortable rooms with all the added extras.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 September 2008

This Hotel was PERFECT in everyway! We were not familliar with the area so I came on this site. Let me tell you there is a reason this hotel is at the top of the list!!! There is nothing bad to say about the place. From the on property resturants, pool, GAS STATION and minimart....the rooms are sooo nice. And the Staff Do everything they can to make sure your stay is perfect! I will def be back~ I highly recommend this hotel (HOME AWAY FROM HOME) hardly a "hotel"

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Jolene B
Reviewed 14 September 2008

After reading reviews, our family of four decided to stay here for ten days and had a great time. We had suite 313 with two king size beds, which we found very comfortable (better than the room/double beds at Four Seasons, Las Vegas where we had stayed for the previous week).
The location is a plus for us, being near to the beach, and appears safe. At night you can walk through the small park where the rabbits play happily and be at the beach in a few minutes.
The complimentary transportation to local attractions (thanks, Tony) newspapers, breakfasts, nightime cookies and 'sweet dreams chocolates are very welcome and give the impression of a more personal, less formal, touch than larger hotel chains.
The breakfast area, which opens at 0600hrs, does get busy from around 0800 but the staff work incredibly hard to keep food restocked and tables clear to allow everyone to be catered for. A nice touch is that you can eat in or out by the poolside.
The front of house staff are exceptionally pleasant and helpful and are happy to research or arrange anything asked of them. In particular we would recommend the in-house surfing lessons provided by Ryan and Danny. Also, Housekeeping, led by Carl, are very efficient and friendly.
A nice touch were the helium filled balloons (Sponge Bob!) and chocolates Carl and Dustin arranged to be put in our room when one of our party celebrated their birthday during our stay.
Finally, we dined several times at the Bistro/restaurant at the hotel and really enjoyed the ambience and food there. We would be very happy to stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We LOVED this hotel! We stayed for 5 nights starting on Labor Day. It was squeaky clean for being so close to the ocean. The staff is superb and customer service is their main focus! Loved to borrow games, the cookies, and the chocolate at your door at night!

Bed was super comfortable and the linens divine. Bathroom was really cool. Furniture was really beautiful, even the piece on the way down to the parking garage!

The restaurant - the Bistro West - had excellent food. We had a communication issue on an order and they gave us a free pizza voucher. Everything we got there was delicious. We stayed in our room for dinner every night - it was such a nice hotel!

We will go back in a heartbeat - in fact, I might book it now!

Reviewed 6 September 2008

My family and I stayed at West Inn and Suites for 3 nights, it was recommended by one of our family members who previously stayed there before. My family and I were expecting another typical chain hotel service, but we were left speechless from the moment we walked in the door!
At check in, we were welcomed with friendly smiles. Our room (king suite) was very spacious and cleaned and we definitely enjoyed all of their amenities they have to offer from free shuttle service (within 5 miles), turn-down, breakfast buffet, and milk with (fresh baked) cookies every night.
Unfortunately, our vacation was cut short because our son got very ill. Somehow one of the front desk staff “Ali” found out about our son being sick and surprised him with a “Get Well” goodie bag with a personal card….WOW!!
I hope no one finds out our new family hideaway.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family