“Going to Legoland? Stay here. Perfect for parents, teens and toddlers.”

West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Fontana, California
“Going to Legoland? Stay here. Perfect for parents, teens and toddlers.”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We chose to stay at this hotel from May 2 thru May 4 while planning a trip to Legoland. We traveled with our kids- ages 17,11 and 2. We knew we had to find something that pleased the oldest, a nice pool for the middle child and definitely toddler friendly for my active 2 yr old. I was so happy when I arrived to see that the hotel had a mini mart/gas station next to it, a steak house restaurant in case you wanted fancy food and a bistro next door which had plenty of options for the whole family. It was very clean landscaping. Looks like it was all owned by West Inn. It beats having to drive around town if you need a carton of milk for the toddler or quickly put gas on your way out. This was very convenient. Next, the parking was great. You can park in the underground parking lot or outside which was not far from the hotel door. Once again perfect when you forget something in the car. When we entered the hotel it smelled so clean. Our room smelled so clean too. Almost like a new house smell. The beds were big and comfy. There were double sheets. I loved that there was double closet space and plenty of hangers. The bathroom towels were nice and thick. The toiletry items were Aveda. The view from my window was looking out to where I parked my car. I did hear a train when we were out by the pool but didn't hear it once inside our room. No big deal. I loved that there was complimentary milk and cookies from 8pm-9pm everynight. Perfect timing to grab the toddler a quick glass of milk before bed time. The fridge in the room included 2 bottles of water each day. I loved that the coffee pot was not in the bathroom. There was a little nook area next to the tv and closet that had a microwave, fridge, sink and coffee pot. It was nice that under the cabinet was a trash can (1 of 3 in the room) and a roll of paper towels. The room size was perfect for us. Next, we used the pool the first afternoon when we arrived. There were not too many chairs, but I never had a problem finding one if I needed it. I must have not went at peak times. They provided swim diapers...which came in handy the second day. Didn't think the toddler would want to swim more than once..wrong...he loved it. They even provided pool floaties and pool noodles for the kids to enjoy. Refreshing water with lemon/orange slices was there along with magazines. The pool towels were thick and perfect to quickly dry off. They kept it well stocked all the time. I never had to go ask for more. The breakfast the next morning was great. My toddler gets up really early and wants his pancakes. Breakfast that morning did not consist of pancakes, but we asked the cook lady if it was possible to make him a couple. She happily agreed to do it for us. We were the only ones down there, maybe thats why but we were very much appreciative of that. I wish I got her name. That was great customer service. The breakfast we had was eggs, potatos, bacon...they also provided bagels, danishes, oatmeal (which was very good), yogurt, cereal. They provided a few types of juices, coffee (and to-go cups--loved it), hot chocolate, hot tea. Plenty of silverware, plastic ware, so many choices. I can't say one negative thing about this place. All the staff greeted us whether we were walking down the stairs, getting on elevator , passing by front desk, out by the pool. Other hotel owners need to take note of this. To sum it up, this is what made me happy that I didn't have to ask for, it was already provided:
Paper towels in room, plenty of hangers, microwave, fridge, paper cups with lid at breakfast time to get my coffee to go, milk in the evening provided for free, swim diapers by pool, ice water by pool, pool toys, plenty of towels by pool and the lovely lady that made my son pancakes and the location of minimart/ gas station, restaurants on campus. If I ever just need to get away, I will book another stay at this hotel for sure. Thank you so much for providing the best service and truthfully giving us what your website tells us you offer plus more.

Room Tip: Pick any room and I'm sure you will love the comfort of it no matter where its at.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank dany0802

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Korean first
northridge
Reviewed 7 May 2014

stayed at the West inn and suites for 2 days. perfect location if you are going to legoland, beach and outlet. they also have shuttle that can take you to Legoland. which can save you parking fee.
included in our stay comp wifi, breakfast buffet. from front desk to housekeeping - people are very welcoming. will go back agsin for sure.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Air_trave
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 1 May 2014

The West Inn and Suites is located between the coast and I-5 freeway in Carlsbad, which is a very convenient location for both business or vacation activities. I have stayed at many of the hotels in the Carlsbad area, but this one is the best overall in a few regards:

- The rooms were very comfortable, easily some of the best sleep I've ever had in a hotel
- Convenient parking
- Great restaurant options at the associated bistro or steak house
- Within walking distance of the beach
- Outstanding staff

My room was on the ground floor near the railroad tracks so I was quite skeptical upon check-in, but found the room had a great feel and was extremely quiet. The staff was very welcoming and they remembered my name throughout my stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Once again, the West Inn and Suites showed why it has consistently racked rave reviews, and ranked as one of the Top 3 hotels in Carlsbad, and Top 8 for Family Hotels in the whole USA! I returned for a second time to be able to stay longer and fully enjoy this gem of a hotel. As you walk in, the fragrant smell immediately welcomes you but not in an overpowering way. The lobby with its wood panels, cozy decor, fresh orchids and high ceilings feels very homey and not that of an impersonal chain hotel. Check in was fast and easy, very thorough and friendly-informing us about the hotel amenities-pool and gym, breakfast, free parking, free wifi, free breakfast, free DVD rentals and fresh warm cookies and milk at night. We go up to our room, and we were ushered into a 2 bed suite of 2 King (not queen beds)! It has a separate living, with flat screen TV, fridge, microwave, Melitha coffeemaker. The bathroom has shower/tub, has plenty of counterspace and uses Aveda toiletries! The beds are spacious and comfortable with plenty of pillows, fresh white sheets, has plenty of lights yet has the floor to ceiling windows allow plenty of natural light to come through. There is plenty of closet and drawer space, robes to use, a safe, and a flat screen TV and ottoman to relax in. I was lucky to get an alcoved room that has the extra space and looks out to the pool. The swimming pool is decent sized and has ready towels, iced lemon water, shower and also a jacuzzi hot tub. Even though the hotel is next to the freeway, the sound of cars is masked by the waterfalls and from inside the rooms, you cannot hear the cars at all. The hotel serves a full hot breakfast of eggs, bacon, links, oatmeal, pastries, bread and tea/coffee or milk. It is certainly a great bargain for families. The hotel has a free shuttle to the Premium Outlets, the seasonal Flower Fields (a piece of Holland in CA) and Legoland. It is also a short drive to the historic seaside Carlsbad Village where there are lots of shops and restaurants. In the same complex as the hotel is the elegant steakhouse, the less pricey Bistro, a gas station and a minimart. It is indeed very centrally located and convenient to everything. With their Aveda toiletries, free breakfast, shuttle, wifi and DVDs, milk and cookies, and even turndown service with chocolates, it is truly amazing how this hotel offers such luxury service with family budget prices. I searched high and low for something in the hotel to criticize because it was too good to be true-I looked in the closet and saw that the flat iron electric cord does not retract automatically! Alas, the hotel does have an imperfection after all! :) Other than that, it is indeed one of the best hotels you could ever stay at in your wandering travel life!

Room Tip: Ask for pool view in an alcoved room!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RichieSel
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We just got back from our vacation and I had to write a review for this hotel. We loved it. We decided to stay here after reading reviews on trip advisor. I'm so glad we did. We stayed here for 3 nights so we can visit Legoland and family in Oceanside. This is not a huge hotel. It is the perfect size, nice and cozy. Our room was on the first floor near the lobby, which is my preferred floor because it's just easier with kids, and I don't like waiting for elevators. We got the 2 king bedroom. The rooms weren't huge but it was just the right size. The beds seemed like it was bigger than a regular king. Maybe because it was just so comfortable. I loved the huge showers in the bathroom. The rooms also came with a mini refrigerator, microwave and sink which came very handy. The heated pool wasn't huge but a good size. My kids had a great time swimming, and I loved that they provided swim floaties and swim diapers. They were also stocked with plenty of towels and ice cold water and magazines. Plenty of chairs to lay out in and plenty of shade. The free breakfast was very convenient and good and there was always plenty of seats and tables. They changed it up each day that we were there. For instance, I was able to make myself a yummy breakfast burrito with bacon, eggs and salsa, and the next day it was pancakes, eggs and sausage. I'm also glad they had single serve soy milk, which I was also able to bring to my room to drink at night. And speaking of night, loved the milk and cookies they provide each night. Plus they have free dvd rentals which we took advantage of. The first night my husband had dinner at the steakhouse next door and he enjoyed it. I on the other hand stayed in with the kids and ordered room service from the cafe also next door. I ordered the meatloaf which was good and big serving and the kids had pepperoni pizza. Both meals cost a bit on the high side but it was worth buying when your too lazy to drive out for food. My only regret was that we didn't stay there the whole week we were on vacation. I had book our last two nights to stay at the Carlsbad Inn which was not as nice as the West Inn (another review for that hotel to follow). My husband who travels a lot for work and stayed in hotels all over actually said he was sad to leave this hotel and it was one of the top hotels he's stayed at. Everyone was friendly and they provide a quick and easy shuttle to Legoland. We had missed our shuttle back twice from Legoland because we ended staying there longer than expected, and they were really nice about it. Some reviews also mentioned the train nearby. We heard it, but it did not bother us one bit. We highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lilmissap
Alaska
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

We have traveled all over the world and this is one of the nicest hotels we have experienced. There may be bigger hotels, more expensive hotels, and more glamorous hotels, but West Inn gets it right in all the fine details and important places. We had a very posh double King room overlooking the pool. Double windows protected our quiet, salon soaps and accessories were in the bathroom, articles were artfully arranged, and the beds were very comfortable. We get so tired of being dinged on all the small stuff at the big chains, so it was nice they include a wide selection of complimentary bonuses. They had some great recent DVDs so we set the kids up and went out to eat at the very tasty bistro. They have a nice shuttle service to Legoland and to the beach, including all the important beach stuff: even boogy boards. The inn itself is impeccably furnished and decorated. The breakfast includes quality food, there are cookies and milk at night! Best of all, the staff is super friendly and polite. If you are going to Disney, chat with Amanda - they call her the Disney girl as she has all the inside info. I highly recommend West Inn - it's worth a special trip and we would like to come back - from Alaska!

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Boondoc
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We travel a TON and this time we were here for 5 days with our two children. The staff was amazing, so friendly, room and hotel was beautiful pictures do not do it justice. The breakfast was great and the milk and cookies were such an awesome added touch. What did it for us was the convenience hands down. It was so close to everything including Legoland and beaches. Beach equipment, movies, games, were available to use complimentary. Free shuttle, gas station on site, bistro and nice steak restaurant on site. The pool was outside, well kept and warm! I LOVED this place, none of us wanted to leave. Definitely would stay again, I wish they had more hotels throughout the country, I would never stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: All rooms here are AMAZING!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family