“The good and the not so good.”

Hampton Inn Carlsbad-North San Diego County
Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
South Carolina
“The good and the not so good.”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Heads-up ---- This place is RIGHT near the airport. We watched planes take off and land right from our room. We do travel with a sound machine so that helped. The pool was VERY small. A lot of drunk people on and off in the week we were there. There is no lock on the pool door so anyone can come and go as they please. The room is small. We stayed at a Hampton last year in GA and it was fantastic. We were not in the room much but a bit more space would have been nice. Not close to anything really, except Cosco. Sort of near In and Out and a few other places. As others have said - you need a car for this location. On the positive side - it is right near Legoland. We even thought it was a good location for San Diego, La Jolla and even Disneyland. That was really great. The lady that works the breakfast area was fantastic. She worked that floor like a champ. The hotel had something different almost every day which was nice. The ladies that made-up the rooms each day did an excellent job as well. The place was clean, and they work very had. Thank you for that!!!

Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank AureliaSC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Arizona
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Walls are thin enough to hear complete conversations in next room. Great breakfast daily, and warm chocolate chip cookies in the evening. No restaurants close by, but a couple miles down the road, so you will need a car. Airport is across the street so airplanes taking off and landing starting at about 530 AM. This property is great for the business traveller free wifi in the room.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I recently spent three nights in Carlsbad at the Hampton Inn near Palomar Airport and I was pleasantly surprised. My room (2 Queen beds) was spacious, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The decor (furnishings, fixtures, etc) was upscale and interesting. I had asked for a "quiet room" and, given the proximity to the airport, I was very happy with my assignment. The staff -- from the desk clerks to the housekeepers, to the young man in charge of the excellent (complimentary) breakfast - were unfailingly courteous, helpful and pleasant. It was a "seamless" experience.

Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Great hotel and staff but would not stay here again as you can hear guest in both the hall and the next room talking like there is nothing between you.

Such a shame as every other aspect of this hotel is excellent.

We would not stay here again and we almost always stay at Hampton Inn something got missed in the Quality Control and Hampton should look at it

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank birtleman
hawaii
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I travelled here for business as a single female traveller on official federal government travel. I returned to my hotel room im the evening to find that my belongings were tossed onto my bed and furniture from my room was missing. I thought this was odd and double checked to make sure my personal belongings were not missing.
A little later at approximately 6 p.m., suddently two men were inside of my room, they did not have hotel uniforms, nor did they have name tags. My tv was off, so it was quiet in my room, I did not hear these men knock, nor did they introduce themselves before entering my room. Before I could say anything, they were both all the way inside my hotel room to where the TV is, I was frightened and startled, they were also speaking in another language to each other and at no time asked permission to enter (I was sitting at my desk directly in line with the door so they should have saw me). It turns out that they had removed the furniture from my room at approximately 2 hours earlier to clean it and was coming back to return the funiture. I felt intruded upon, violated, and unsafe after this incident. I was never told by the hotel that my furniture would be removed from my room and returned by 2 men at 6 p.m.
I immediately asked to speak to the hotel manager to ask that these men do NOT return to my room for any further "removing furniture for cleaning" operations. I also asked why are they removing furniture while guests are occupying rooms? and at 6 p.m.? The response was they try to clean furniture when guests are gone for the day. Keep in mind that my belongings (open suitcase and laptop computer) that were on the furniture were removed and tossed onto my bed. Being here for business, I had documents that should not have been touched by hotel personnel (maid service was complete for the day so I left items out). The manager later told me that she talked to both men and both men denied my story and that they both said that they knocked and introduced themselves which they did not. I decided not to argue any further with the manager because she did not take my complaint seriously. In addition, after these men entered my room, my door refused to lock!! Turns out that the battery on the door was dying so my door would not automatically lock when leaving my hotel room. My belongings could have been stolen at any time that day. I would not have been so upset if I had a sincere apology from the hotel manager, instead I was accused of making up a story and she insisted that both men denied everything. I felt extremely unsafe as this occured at the beginning of my stay there. I opted for NO maid service for the rest of the trip as I felt that I needed to keep my "do not disturb" sign on my door for the rest of my stay to keep the men out.
I was also placed at the end of the hallway in a handicapped room. I am not handicapped! i had a seat in my shower which caused all the water to spill onto the bathroom floor.
The walls in this hotel is very thin as well, I could hear the couple next to me having sex all night and could NOT sleep.
The only great thing about this hotel is the free breakfast downstairs and 24 hour tea and coffee (although most of the time, the hot water for the tea was completely empty).
This is the first bad hotel and bad hotel review I have ever done to give you an idea of how bad my stay was here.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank KaneoheGurlie
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 December 2010

The hotel was very new, clean rooms, big comfy comforters, great diverse breakfast, very nice staff, but we have 2 small kids and are use to noise, but the room above us would not be quite at any hour of the night, we called managment but it did not seem to help, next time would just ask for a quiet room. It really affected our sleep. Very close to lego land and plenty of parking.....and good work out room.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Of all the Hampton Inns that I've stayed at, this one has to be the nicest. It seems to be a fairly new hotel, in an excellent location (especially if you're going to Legoland!). We were given a (double) queen room on the top floor, near the elevator... which we never heard! The room was large and the bathroom was excellent. The only problem was the breakfast room was tiny- we had to eat at the couches in the lobby every morning because there were no tables available. Other than this teeny tiny non-problem, it was a wonderful stay!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family