“Car-less getaway”
Review of Pelican Cove Inn

Pelican Cove Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Carlsbad B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We came for my "decadal" birthday, parked the car, and never needed to use it again until it was, sadly, time to go. It's truly only two blocks to the beach and three blocks to charming Carlsbad Village. For a three-day stay you really wouldn't need to go anywhere else. The "Laguna" room was beautiful. So was the "La Jolla" room that we looked in on. Nancy's breakfasts were superb, as were the other homemade baked treats set out in the lobby. There's a handy stack of beach chairs, umbrellas and boogie boards to grab on your way to the beach, and an outdoor shower in the lovely shaded garden for your return. We've already suggested Pelican Cove Inn to friends, and look forward to returning with some of them in tow.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
pelicancoveinn, Owner at Pelican Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2014

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! It is so nice to be able to walk to the beach and our cute little Village. So many great shops and restaurants. If you want any of the recipes for the items you tasted here, you can find them on my website www.pelican-cove.com. Hope to see you again! :)

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

This lovely inn and it's equally lovely owner are a wonderful addition to Carlsbad California. That's saying a lot because Carlsbad is beautiful.
We stayed in a room that was completely delightful and windowed all around. I loved the antique and amore and it had plenty of hangers. (Something I tend to find a lack of in most motels.)
I thought the night would be a hot one because of the lack of air-conditioning, but we didn't even need the ceiling fan! This was supposedly one of the most miserable days in Carlsbad. LOL! I'll take this kind of misery any day! There were wonderful little areas all around the inn to relax, read and dine on the delicious gourmet breakfast prepared by our warm and wonderful hostess-or is it still host or should I say proprietress? It doesn't really matter because she couldn't have done a better job of caring for all of our needs.
Just look at other reviews for more details. I will simply finish up with saying that… We're coming back next year!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iluvgoodstuff

So glad you enjoyed your stay! I will admit that we here in Carlsbad are quite spoiled by near perfect weather every day. It makes us quite the babies when things aren't as perfect as normal. Haha! So glad you will be coming back to see us!! :)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I stayed in the Laguna Room at the Pelican Cove earlier this month, and this is the place to stay in Carlsbad! Both the inn and the innkeeper Nancy are charming. The highlight of our stay was the morning breakfast prepared by Nancy. My husband must go gluten free and Nancy prepared delicious meals the likes of which he never gets at home. She was very attentive to his dietary needs. The inn itself is a stone's throw from the beach, and Dini's, a great place for lunch or dinner, is just two blocks away. If we ever return to Carlsbad, we will will absolutely be staying at the Pelican Cove. Hats off to Nancy for making her guests feel right at home.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. :) I am glad that the gluten free options worked well for your husband. It is always fun to try to figure out how to adapt my recipes to accommodate different needs. Always a learning experience for me. Hope to see you again!! :)

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We have just returned from 4 nights at this lovely bed and breakfast and I cannot express how wonderful our stay was. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home. Nancy is a wonderful hostess and does everything she can to make your stay special. We stayed in the Coronado room and the accommodations were as expected. The room was clean, spacious and inviting. The bed was absolute heaven. It was like sleeping on a cloud. Breakfast each morning was delicious and colorful. You might consider having your breakfast outside in the private garden under the gazebo, our favorite spot each morning. It was a great way to start the day, so peaceful. We did not have a car but walked everywhere we wanted to go. The neighborhood is very safe. It is about a 5-10 minute walk into Carlsbad Village and a 15 minute walk to the Carlsbad Village train station. I would definitely reserve a room here again!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. It is greatly appreciated. :) I am so glad you took advantage of the opportunity to walk to all you wanted to do. Not having a car can make a vacation so much more relaxing! We look forward to seeing you again!! :) For those of you looking to get here by train, you can take a bus from the airport to the Santa Fe train station in San Diego. From there you can take the coaster to our wonderful little Village. The schedule is at www.gonctd.com.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This bed and breakfast is so special. The hostess Nancy is so gracious and welcoming. We have stayed in four different rooms out of the ten and each one is charming. The breakfasts are delicious and there are always fresh cookies. We have celebrated anniversaries and birthdays here. Nancy gives excellent references for meals and attractions. You are within walking distance of the beach and downtown village. Or catch the beach coaster train to other venues. You sleep on feather beds on top of the mattress.

Room Tip: there is no swimming pool or fitness center.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

It is always so nice to see you both. :) I am glad that we have been a part of so many of your celebrations. One of the nicest things about having the Inn is the wonderful people I get an opportunity to meet. Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you soon! :)

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Took my wife here for our first anniversary. The rooms were clean the food was great and Nancy was delightful. She answered every question we had and helped with whatever we needed. She even gave us a flashlight to go look for the grunion. Parked the truck when we got there and never had to get in again. Everything you need is only a short walk away. Will definitely stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so glad you enjoyed your anniversary stay with us. It was a pleasure meeting you both. Too bad the grunion didn't run for you!! Haha!! Hope to see you again!

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Where do I begin. Needing to escape Tucson's summer. Perusing through lots of vacation choices. Using Trip Advisor for assistance. Don't like flying anymore. Want to get in the car and drive one day to Paradise. Somehow on Trip Advisor found Pelican Cove Inn on the net. Called hubby and said "Look what I found". Both of us immediately called Nancy and booked a slot in June. What a find. Couldn't be happier. The place with it's 12 rooms is well kept, clean, gem of a B & B. Nancy the owner is the genuinely sweetest lady. When we saw the room (each one is different) I couldn't believe it. It was gorgeous. They even offer a feather top for your bed if you like. You have a little settee and chair in the room. Fireplace for winter use. We had our own deck with chairs and a table. The upper deck has chaise lounges, sofas, umbrellas to keep sun off you. I discovered that deck on the last day. The breakfast room has several tables for 2 and one large booth that serves six. Antique furniture and comfy couches. You can also eat in lots of areas on the grounds that have tables and chairs. . Now for the breakfasts. Each day a different gourmet selection. Nancy can make something else if the choice is not to your liking. Different quiches, french toast, scottish eggs. Fresh fruit and I mean fresh. Cookies are always in a jar for your convenience during the day if you stop in. If you have any questions Nancy has the answers. Where to go, what to do. You are 2 blocks from the beach, 5 blocks from the town. You are minutes away from the Coaster Train which takes you all over North County beaches and towns. We had the most wonderful vacation with all the stars lined up perfectly. I highly recommend Pelican Cove on every aspect it excels. I will be back. Weather was perfect. No June gloom as some refer to for June. Sun was out every morning at 8.00 AM. Again, even the weather was perfect. Nancy has chairs, beach towels, umbrellas, to take to the beach. Even a couple of bikes seemed to be available.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I am so glad you found us! Thanks for taking the time to write a review. :) We are so lucky to be located here in beautiful Carlsbad. It is nice to be in a place that is so fun to share with our guests. Nothing makes me happier that suggesting a restaurant or an outing and having the guests discuss at breakfast the next day what a great meal or experience they had. This is a great little biking town and Pedigo even has electric bikes to rent. A new store opened up 2 blocks away that also rents beach cruisers. We don't have bikes to rent, but they are easy to come by in the Village!! Hope to see you soon!